Opinion on bull

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
467
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Texas
Hi everyone. I'm new to the board. I've been reading the board for some time now. On December 1st, I purchase my first cattle...10 3-5 yr old crossbred cows that are all 2nd trimester bred. My dad runs a Registered black limousin bull which will be breeding my cows from here out and I just wanted to get an opinion on him. He turned 3 yrs this past July. He got into another man's pasture a couple of weeks before this picture and thinned out a bit. I'll take another picture that will show him with a little more beef on him. Anyway, any opinions would be great.

LimousinBull.jpg
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
2
Location
South La
East Caney":3ei4ea0t said:
Hi everyone. I'm new to the board. I've been reading the board for some time now. On December 1st, I purchase my first cattle...10 3-5 yr old crossbred cows that are all 2nd trimester bred. My dad runs a Registered black limousin bull which will be breeding my cows from here out and I just wanted to get an opinion on him. He turned 3 yrs this past July. He got into another man's pasture a couple of weeks before this picture and thinned out a bit. I'll take another picture that will show him with a little more beef on him. Anyway, any opinions would be great.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/ ... inBull.jpg[/IMG]
Sorry but your pic is no longer there.
 

certherfbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2004
Messages
3,052
Reaction score
0
Location
OH
Either cull him or feed him. He won't breed too many cows in the shape he is in now.
Wether he is worked down or not, papers or not...I wouldn't see him improving too many cows. If he does improve them...they are pretty sorry.
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
2
Location
South La
certherfbeef":2ufodjmi said:
Either cull him or feed him. He won't breed too many cows in the shape he is in now.
Wether he is worked down or not, papers or not...I wouldn't see him improving too many cows. If he does improve them...they are pretty sorry.
Agree with you cert. But he sure could do some harm to some not so good ones.
 

Bez!

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
976
Reaction score
0
East Caney":352iwrhr said:
Hi everyone. I'm new to the board. I've been reading the board for some time now. On December 1st, I purchase my first cattle...10 3-5 yr old crossbred cows that are all 2nd trimester bred. My dad runs a Registered black limousin bull which will be breeding my cows from here out and I just wanted to get an opinion on him. He turned 3 yrs this past July. He got into another man's pasture a couple of weeks before this picture and thinned out a bit. I'll take another picture that will show him with a little more beef on him. Anyway, any opinions would be great.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/ ... inBull.jpg[/IMG]

First - welcome to the boards.

Second - you are going to take a few hits on this guy.

I believe you are making an understatement if you simply say he "thinned out a bit". He is not emaciated, but he is getting close.

I made some comments about a young lady's animal today and they will have to go here with yours as well.

Too tall and lanky. Too light in the back end. Too narrow in the front end.

And believe me I could go on a fair bit more.

You need to know - up front - that registration papers do not make a quality animal.

I see there is feed for this guy in the feeder, but he needs far more than just hay. Seperate him, fed him and do not let him back into the fields with your animals.

I would like to see some pics of your animals before I make further comments or provide you with an opinion of what you need to do - but when I look at the animal standing behind your bull, it looks very thin as well. Perhaps it is the angle but I suspect not.

If this is representative, you have some serious work ahead of you, so send the pics and lets see the new herd.

Bez!
 

Aero

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
1,789
Reaction score
16
Location
NC
somebody give me an idea on his BCS... 3.5 - 4?

and chicken boned?
 

milkmaid

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
0
Location
Idaho
Oh, come on guys, don't you think you're being a little too hard on him? after all, he might look a little better with 300 extra pounds...:lol: :p ;-)

Before:
LimousinBull.jpg


After the "weight gain"
LimoBullmod.JPG


I must have a little too much time on my hands tonight...:lol:
 

DOC HARRIS

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
1
Location
Ft. Collins, CO
milkmaid":g54n07yg said:
Oh, come on guys, don't you think you're being a little too hard on him? after all, he might look a little better with 300 extra pounds...:lol: :p ;-)

Before:
LimousinBull.jpg


After the "weight gain"
LimoBullmod.JPG


I must have a little too much time on my hands tonight...:lol:
To answer your original question - NO, we are NOT being too hard on him - the Bull(?) OR the owner of the cows! We are doing the cow owner no favors to mealy-mouth around about the bull, whether or not his picture has been "doctored" or not! He should have been castrated a long time ago, and the only fact that this male bovine presents is to embarrass the owner, and the Limousin Breed Association. If we are going to try to help new breeders with their FUTURE in the beef BUSINESS - we MUST tell them the truth. And the truth about this animal is - HE SHOULD NOT BREED A COW - - - OF any BREED!

DOC HARRIS
 

cypressfarms

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
3,473
Reaction score
27
Location
New Roads, LA
East Caney":ed8khpfn said:
Hi everyone. I'm new to the board. I've been reading the board for some time now. On December 1st, I purchase my first cattle...10 3-5 yr old crossbred cows that are all 2nd trimester bred. My dad runs a Registered black limousin bull which will be breeding my cows from here out and I just wanted to get an opinion on him. He turned 3 yrs this past July. He got into another man's pasture a couple of weeks before this picture and thinned out a bit. I'll take another picture that will show him with a little more beef on him. Anyway, any opinions would be great.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/ ... inBull.jpg[/IMG]

Hi East Caney!, and welcome to the boards. Always good to have new opinions. On the bull.....to put it simply, I think that your gonna get hammered by most people on here, Don't take it personal. Most of the people on here are very experienced, and will tell you that your bull is 50% of your herd (If you let this bull breed your cattle). The bull, because of this, is probably the single most important animal you have. His quality, of lack of, will show up in all of your future calves. Do you have to use your dad's bull? 10 cows isn't much for a bull to take care of, but I'd hate to see that limi in your offspring. You could purchase a yearling bull (insert your favorite type) for a reasonably cheap price compared to a 2 year old, and he would breed 10 cows for you. A 12 -14 month old angus or hereford, for example, would have no problems breeding 10 cows. Just some thoughts...
 

milkmaid

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
0
Location
Idaho
DOC HARRIS":3s4nubob said:
To answer your original question - NO, we are NOT being too hard on him - the Bull(?) OR the owner of the cows! We are doing the cow owner no favors to mealy-mouth around about the bull, whether or not his picture has been "doctored" or not! He should have been castrated a long time ago, and the only fact that this male bovine presents is to embarrass the owner, and the Limousin Breed Association. If we are going to try to help new breeders with their FUTURE in the beef BUSINESS - we MUST tell them the truth. And the truth about this animal is - HE SHOULD NOT BREED A COW - - - OF any BREED!

DOC HARRIS

Oh Doc- I'm just playing around. :lol: Not being serious, you know. Wouldn't question the boards's opinion if it was said this person needed a new bull. I agree with what you said; just wanted to see how he'd look with some extra weight, that was all. ;-)
 

cypressfarms

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
3,473
Reaction score
27
Location
New Roads, LA
East Caney":2rnjvzyw said:
He got into another man's pasture a couple of weeks before this picture and thinned out a bit.

Does this other man know that this bull was in his pasture?

I sense a big Uh Oh coming. From him.
 

DOC HARRIS

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
1
Location
Ft. Collins, CO
milkmaid":2io3n0jn said:
DOC HARRIS":2io3n0jn said:
To answer your original question - NO, we are NOT being too hard on him - the Bull(?) OR the owner of the cows! We are doing the cow owner no favors to mealy-mouth around about the bull, whether or not his picture has been "doctored" or not! He should have been castrated a long time ago, and the only fact that this male bovine presents is to embarrass the owner, and the Limousin Breed Association. If we are going to try to help new breeders with their FUTURE in the beef BUSINESS - we MUST tell them the truth. And the truth about this animal is - HE SHOULD NOT BREED A COW - - - OF any BREED!

DOC HARRIS
I knew that you weren't really serious, Milkmaid - BUT - I AM really serious! The Bull looks like a worthless bull with 300 extra 'worthless' lbs. added to him. The young breeder needs to KNOW that we are ALL serious, and BIG lessons need to be learned RIGHT NOW - RIGHT NOW!
If all of us were not sincerely interested in helping new breeders, we would not be spending our considerable amount of time on these posts trying to enlighten the uninformed. We all benefit by learning quality and value!

DOC HARRIS
Oh Doc- I'm just playing around. :lol: Not being serious, you know. Wouldn't question the boards's opinion if it was said this person needed a new bull. I agree with what you said; just wanted to see how he'd look with some extra weight, that was all. ;-)
 

norriscathy

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
391
Reaction score
0
Location
Northeast Texas
We are in the same general location as you are. We bought a place here 10 years ago and lost several cows before we could figure out what the problem was. An EXTREMELY heavy worm load. We had been worming twice a year; once with Ivomec Plus and once with Cydectin. Not enough! We switched to worming with Ivomec Plus in the spring and Valbazen in the fall with each worming followed 60 days later with SafeGuard Blocks. After three years of worming 4 times a year we broke the cycle. we are now back to twice a year for everything except replacement hefiers. In spite of what the market "Powers to BE" say we have also found that Black cattle will not work here. We bought some of the finest Angus cattle in the world from Iowa and in our 110 degree plus summers they just wilt!
 

cypressfarms

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
3,473
Reaction score
27
Location
New Roads, LA
norriscathy":uncgbtbr said:
In spite of what the market "Powers to BE" say we have also found that Black cattle will not work here. We bought some of the finest Angus cattle in the world from Iowa and in our 110 degree plus summers they just wilt!

Boy norris, why don't you just turn on the blender to stir it up? Knocking black and angus in the same paragraph. Uh oh.
 

norriscathy

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
391
Reaction score
0
Location
Northeast Texas
cypressfarms":2aks61r0 said:
norriscathy":2aks61r0 said:
In spite of what the market "Powers to BE" say we have also found that Black cattle will not work here. We bought some of the finest Angus cattle in the world from Iowa and in our 110 degree plus summers they just wilt!

Boy norris, why don't you just turn on the blender to stir it up? Knocking black and angus in the same paragraph. Uh oh.
Guess I'm going to be in for it for awhile!
 

Latest posts

Top