Opinion needed on leasing land

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I had someone ask me to lease there land which is only 20 acres and is 28 miles away from the majority of my farm properties. It's not enough for me to raise beans and corn on and go through the hassle of moving equipment back and forth. I thought about getting it and planting it in alfalfa hay and square baling they sell around 8.00 a bale around here I am reluctant to place cattle on that land since it is so far away. Would anyone out there place cattle or lease that property ? The owner wants 45.00 per acre for leasing. :help:

$900 a year lease for 20acs is pretty steep.the q you need to ask yourself an answer is this.can i lease that place plant alalfa on it an make a profit selling sq bales off it.

yea not really leaning towards yes if it were 8 miles from my place sure no problem i can make that back in couple acres of corn or beans.. I probably could make my money back on the alfalfa hay but not sure its worth the hassle of bringing back to my place and touching it multiple times.

I would disagree with the others on making money raising hay on $45 an acre rent. It depends on the tonnage. It is too far for me personally to go for raising hay. In the long run it would be easier to plant to corn or beans.

Before I would say no to it, I would look at the neighbors places. Maybe there is a some more available to make it more logical.

Just depends on how bad you need the ground, I own ground 28 miles away and rent the farm next to it for hay and also bale hay in between that ground and my place. I for sure wouldn't plant alfalfa where you will have to travel 4-5 times a yr but once wouldn't be bad. Plus you might pick up some more ground in between your house and there. If you plant corn and beans you might consider hiring the combining to someone closer than you are. That would be cheap crop ground IMO

yea, I lease 700 acres for beans/corn all around me there really isnt any other places for me to lease near by.. I don't need the land but I just thought about maybe doing alfalfa there but I am against it. If i owned the land no problem because id build a barn there but since I don't and there is no barn im leaning towards no.

skyhigh, I was refering to places that might be near the 20 acre piece. If you could gain another place or two next to that 20 acres might make it more logical. After I read what I wrote it didnt sound real clear.

Gotcha, Yea, I asked the guy if he had an idea of any other land for lease he was not aware of anyone but said he would check I told him it really wasn't worth the hassle to lease that and transport equip. back and forth he understood he said hes just tired of bushhogging the fields.