Openning of Deer Season

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I had an "interesting" opening of deer season. Hunted Mule deer on the wife's family ranch in south central Washington. One of the BIL has a son who is a quadriplegic so they drive a wheel chair accessible van out through the sage brush to a good spot where three canyons meet. I took my quad out to that site and parked it and walked down about a half a mile to a god spot. There was a little light rain falling. Not enough for me to even notice. Then the wind picked up from dead the wrong direction. I decided to go push the canyon to them as my spot was shot with the wind. By the time I got back up to them it was 10:30 and it was raining pretty hard. They decided to head for the house to get something to eat. Well BIL got stuck. So I ran up to the house with my quad to get my pickup to pull them out. We did that and made good progress for about the first third of the way back. Then he got stuck again. This time I couldn't budge him. So BIL and I go back to the house to get a farm pick up. We figure two four wheel drives will sure do the job. We were wrong. So a nephew we picked up along the way takes the ranch pickup back to the barn and chains up all four wheels. All the time it is raining. And by this time I am getting stuck in 4 wheel drive. Once again two pickups don't get the job done. We decide to go for the tractor. Once I got going I stuck my foot into it and barely made it back to the barn. There is a 150 hp(?) Allis two wheel drive. It finally pulled the van out but it was spinning in places. But we were sweating it. if that tractor hadn't worked the next option would have been a crawler of some sort which we didn't have. We were all wet and muddy getting it done. We couldn't leave the van there with his quadriplegic son in it.
The real feel good moment came when my wife who was in the van with him told me what he said. He told her, "aren't we blessed. These guys are working hard in the mud and the rain to get us out of here. None of them are complaining or anything." Aren't we blessed, coming from the mouth of a young man who can't even feed himself.
I did shoot a nice buck the next day but it didn't make me feel nearly as good as helping that young man get back up to the ranch house safely.

Good story. Its all about perspective. That is why I believe we make our own realities. We can either choose to be victors or victims.

Dave":2d3x1myq said:
I had an "interesting" opening of deer season. Hunted Mule deer on the wife's family ranch in south central Washington. One of the BIL has a son who is a quadriplegic so they drive a wheel chair accessible van out through the sage brush to a good spot where three canyons meet. I took my quad out to that site and parked it and walked down about a half a mile to a good spot. There was a little light rain falling. Not enough for me to even notice. Then the wind picked up from dead the wrong direction. I decided to go push the canyon to them as my spot was shot with the wind. By the time I got back up to them it was 10:30 and it was raining pretty hard. They decided to head for the house to get something to eat. Well BIL got stuck. So I ran up to the house with my quad to get my pickup to pull them out. We did that and made good progress for about the first third of the way back. Then he got stuck again. This time I couldn't budge him. So BIL and I go back to the house to get a farm pick up. We figure two four wheel drives will sure do the job. We were wrong. So a nephew we picked up along the way takes the ranch pickup back to the barn and chains up all four wheels. All the time it is raining. And by this time I am getting stuck in 4 wheel drive. Once again two pickups don't get the job done. We decide to go for the tractor. Once I got going I stuck my foot into it and barely made it back to the barn. There is a 150 hp(?) Allis two wheel drive. It finally pulled the van out but it was spinning in places. But we were sweating it. if that tractor hadn't worked the next option would have been a crawler of some sort which we didn't have. We were all wet and muddy getting it done. We couldn't leave the van there with his quadriplegic son in it.
The real feel good moment came when my wife who was in the van with him told me what he said. He told her, "aren't we blessed. These guys are working hard in the mud and the rain to get us out of here. None of them are complaining or anything." Aren't we blessed, coming from the mouth of a young man who can't even feed himself.
I did shoot a nice buck the next day but it didn't make me feel nearly as good as helping that young man get back up to the ranch house safely.