Opening day tomorrow!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
I can't wait! For everyone who will be hitting the woods early in the morning - Good Luck! And make sure and take your camera and post some pics! Let's have a CT big buck contest!

sidney411":dxwlf40k said:
I can't wait! For everyone who will be hitting the woods early in the morning - Good Luck! And make sure and take your camera and post some pics! Let's have a CT big buck contest!
What about a big doe contest? I think the one I got last week will be a record in the journals of B & C.... Not Boone & Crocket... Beer & Cooking!

sidney411":lk9axq5r said:

What season I never knew it closed, when did all this happen?

Bow season here right now. Shotgun season opens the monday after Thanksgiving.
Good luck Sid!!

Modern gun opens 11/11 here.. There have already been 1100 telechecked in the two counties my little farm practically sits straddle of. That's just the muzzleload, bow, youth, etc totals.. The two counties together account for about 5000 deer telechecked in a typical year.

I'm hoping for a good year. :D

Lets just call it a big deer contest then! Rifle season here in Texas (for everyone except Caustic) begins tomorrow. Bow season has been going on but I have just this year been able to get my bow up to legal draw weight so I hope to hunt next year with it.

sidney411":3vlg5bpk said:
Lets just call it a big deer contest then!

I hope to get the smallest one. 2 inch buttons would be perfect. I don't eat horns. Those old stinking big bucks just stand there eating corn and looking at my stand.

If the deer has more than 20 points, I WILL shoot. And I WILL post a pic. Otherwise, I am going to get some mouth watering finger steak. It will all be cut cross grain and deep fried.

sidney411":3el9ug49 said:
Lets just call it a big deer contest then! Rifle season here in Texas (for everyone except Caustic) begins tomorrow. Bow season has been going on but I have just this year been able to get my bow up to legal draw weight so I hope to hunt next year with it.

It's not rifle it's gun as I will be in the woods with a Model 12 and Number 1 buckshot. You can bet I will burn powder in the morning and be eating fresh backstrap for summer. Get on the creek running through my place on a bucket. Deer will be flying back in forth up and down the creek the ones coming down are trying to get off the lease to the North and the ones headed upstream trying to get off the lease to the south.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":3hfadwxh said:
I dang near ran an 8 pointer over in the car the other night, does that count? I mean, a kill is a kill, not matter how you get it, isnt it?

:lol: :lol: You're bringing back memories. I hit a huge coon in the road between Cleburne and Glen Rose when I was a kid. Put it in a trash bag, took it home and skinned it. It was the biggest coon I have ever seen. It fetched $52. That was before PETA closed the export market.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1ottuajs said:
I dang near ran an 8 pointer over in the car the other night, does that count? I mean, a kill is a kill, not matter how you get it, isnt it?

What happened, couldn't get your gun out the window fast enough and decided to try and ram it? :lol: Just kidding. Yeah, it counts but try and hit em in the front quarter where your won't mess up too much meat.

Just got back from an elk hunt, diddnt get anythigh besides sleep deprived, a coyote, and I decaitated a grouse at 100 paces for supper, witm my .30-06.

Draw mule deer with rifle starts tomorrow, and rifle whitetails start on the 20th, but im going north on thursday to go for whites, if I get my mulie in the next couple hours :p

Canada has some beutiful country. Went there with Boy Scouts on canoe trip and saw grouse. Cool looking birds. How bout the mosquitoes? Never saw so many - was always told a freeze would kill em. Boy was I ever told wrong. Good luck!

I hit 2 8-pointers with a truck once, just north of Stephenville out on 108.

I got a little forkie w/ no brow tines, he needed to be culled. He will eat good!

sidney411":1i7xheio said:
I hit 2 8-pointers with a truck once, just north of Stephenville out on 108.

I got a little forkie w/ no brow tines, he needed to be culled. He will eat good!

Did you ever hear what happened with that "roadkill" law TPWD was trying to push? It's a shame to have to leave that much meat on the side of the road. Especially when it cost $1000 in vehicle damage to get it. Thank the lord for Ranch Hand.Z

No, I haven't - what is it? I only wish it was $1000 worth of damage, try $6000! The whole front of the truck was smashed and a horn went through the radiator. No ranchhand on that truck either so no protection.

sidney411":1s179nhk said:
No, I haven't - what is it? I only wish it was $1000 worth of damage, try $6000! The whole front of the truck was smashed and a horn went through the radiator. No ranchhand on that truck either so no protection.

It is against the law to:
• possess a deer or any part of a deer that has been hit by a motor vehicle.

Another important thing to remember if you are in some counties:

• SPECIAL ANTLER RESTRICTIONS:
• In Austin, Bastrop, Bell, Bosque, Bowie, Brazoria, Burleson, Caldwell, Camp, Cass, Cherokee, Colorado, Comal (E. of I-35), Comanche, Coryell, Delta, DeWitt, Eastland, Erath, Fannin, Fayette, Fort Bend, Franklin, Goliad, Gonzales, Gregg, Guadalupe, Hamilton, Harrison, Hays (E. of I-35),
Hopkins, Houston, Jackson, Karnes, Lamar, Lampasas, Lavaca, Lee, Leon, Marion, Matagorda, Morris, Nacogdoches, Panola, Rains, Red River, Rusk, Sabine, San Augustine, Shelby, Somervell, Titus, Travis (E. of I-35), Upshur, Victoria, Waller, Washington, Wharton, Williamson, Wilson, and Wood counties, there are special regulations for buck deer.

In these counties, the bag limit is two legal bucks, but only ONE may have an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. A legal buck deer is defined as having:
• a hardened antler protruding through the skin AND;
• at least one unbranched antler; OR
• an inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater.
• To determine if a buck has an inside spread measurement of at least 13 inches, look at the distance from ear-tip to ear-tip on a buck with ears in the alert position.

Latest posts