OPEN HEIFERS OR MOMAS WITH CALVES

Help Support CattleToday:

On a different train of thought, sell what people are wanting to buy. Buy those open heifers or heavy bred aged cows for $900- $1000 now, to sell in the spring as bred heifers or 3 in 1s. Should make a tidy profit or if you like em keep em if you've got the time. Just what I'm doing

RanchMan90":130syi45 said:
On a different train of thought, sell what people are wanting to buy. Buy those open heifers or heavy bred aged cows for $900- $1000 now, to sell in the spring as bred heifers or 3 in 1s. Should make a tidy profit or if you like em keep em if you've got the time. Just what I'm doing

Yup. :nod:

I know it isn't what the original poster offered but how about buying SS that are in the second period? They were selling for about $700 at sale barn last week. As always there are risks to this as well but there is a reason why those cows have made it to that age.

Sure seems to be a safer bet than steer cattle right now. SS cow should be worth the same in a year as she is today. Her calf should nearly straight profit minus her winter expenses, assuming you sell them both by next fall.

Thank you again to everyone that committed on my question. I haven't been on this page in awhile. I learn something new everytime I'm on here. Thanks again.

Hunter":59o40do5 said:
I know it isn't what the original poster offered but how about buying SS that are in the second period? They were selling for about $700 at sale barn last week. As always there are risks to this as well but there is a reason why those cows have made it to that age.
Usually a reason why they are at a sale barn too.

I like the advice,"money is made on the buy, not the sell." I will remember that advice. I sold my small herd of Angus cattle a few years back. I really enjoyed working with them and being around them. My kids are all but grown so it's time to buy me a few more cows to start building again. I think I have made a deal to buy three open heifers for 2100 dollars. They are 8 to 9 months old. I'm fifty years old and I feel so excited to be able to start my herd over again. I thank the good Lord for giving me the opportunity. Thanks for everyones advice.