Open Heifer Bagging Up???

Help Support CattleToday:

JoshuaMLewis":3tigcjot said:
FYI... I saw the heifer in labor last night about 7:30. This early morning she hadn't progressed any. The vet came out and had to do a C-section to get the calf out. The calf weighed over 100 pounds. The calf is dead but the heifer will live.

Thanks,

Josh
Wow, bad luck! A shot of Lute when she came home would have prevented that. Hopefully she mends quickly and you can get her bred back if you decide to keep her. I'd go back to the breeder and file a complaint. You bought her open, so you should not have to deal with these problems! We bought a bred heifer that had a train wreck of a birth (110 pound bull calf that DOA and had to be pulled) and the breeder replaced the heifer with a new one. And we got to keep the check for the one that went to town (she was down for two weeks, pinched nerve, so we shipped her).
We raise Simmentals, and MOST of the heifers in the herd will have a cycle by the time they are 7 months old, and many at 6! We AI everything, so we do not have to worry about accidental bull breedings, thank gosh! Now, we have a registered Pioneer Angus heifer that is one year old this month and she has yet to cycle. I have been watching her closely for several months, and nothing. Our Simms must calve by the time they are 24 months old, hoping to keep this Angus heifer in the same window. We will start our fall AI the week of Thanksgiving, and she will be one of the first.

Hi,
I have heard of this.
It is possible that she could be not in-calve and bagging up.
It really depends on the breeds and her ancestary breeding.
She might could from a milky back round.- maybe a milky bull or cow or grandmother or grandfather.
Some heifers show their udders at an early age,other's don't.
Some heifer's calve and their udders don't seem large but they have plenty of milk.
To get back to your question- She might possibly be in-calf if you bought her?
Have you a stock bull or anything? Young bulls around a Year, year and a half could possibly put her in-calve.
-Catherina-

Latest posts