open cows may be bull's fault

Help Support CattleToday:

ricebeltrancher: I was thinking of certification in terms of requiring a minimum score for M&M on bulls and using line breeding to concentrate the genetics. I am getting the feeling that most breeders don't put much stock in BSE's, at least as a long term indicator of fertility. Is there something better?

City Guy":1re3cirr said:
ricebeltrancher: I was thinking of certification in terms of requiring a minimum score for M&M on bulls and using line breeding to concentrate the genetics. I am getting the feeling that most breeders don't put much stock in BSE's, at least as a long term indicator of fertility. Is there something better?
It's a tool, in a large tool box. Just like Actual hands on experience.

City Guy":362zuz1a said:
A BSE only shows that on that day, at that time, the bull had adequate volume, motility and acceptable sperm quality. A fever, infection or a bunch of other things could affect the results from a test on another day. But at least it does show if he could pass so you know going in that at least there is a much better chance that he will be a successful breeder.

If a BSE is done on every bull before they go out on cows, well, that's about the best you can do. Motility and morphology are so subjective, when you start flirting with that fine line separating pass from fail, you would have to get into certification of vets, etc... which is probably something they're not going to be too crazy about! I wouldn't be. As far as linebreeding to improve fertility? That's something I admittedly haven't looked into a whole lot, but I would think something like bull fertility would be a lowly heritable trait. It is in cows.

BSE doesn't measure a bull's vigor. He may pass with flying colors but just be too lazy to chase after the ladies. Bulls can be a major pain, but I've learned the hard way that it's better to have more bull power than you need. I try not to go too far from a 25 to 1 cow to bull ratio.

Latest posts