Oops

Help Support CattleToday:

Ok, I bookmarked it...this is the paragraph...however, this link is wonderful!

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/dpi/nreninf.n ... EA00273B5A

In recent years, some farmers who routinely feed milk replacer have changed their formulation from 500 g of milk powder in 4 L water to 500 g powder in 2L of water. They have found this reduction in fluid volume, to provide the same quantity of milk nutrients to calves, has 2 beneficial effects. Firstly, it stimulates their appetite for concentrates at a younger age, because there is less distension in their abomasum after milk feeding. Secondly, it reduces scour problems, presumably because of reduced likelihood of undigested milk escaping into the intestine.

Not afraid to say we made some mistakes here...but to clarify. Only the one day when the calf drank milk from a bucket did it take 11 qts. That was 11 qts milk replacer. Later as the calf went down, we cut back to two bottles of 4qts each day.

We gave the LA200 mainly as a precaution against pneumonia. Calf has showed strength but has not gotten up. When I said mix electrolytes and milk, I ment daily not at the same time. I gave the calf two bottles of electrolytes because of the volume of liquid it was passing.

Vet came this am and put it down.

I appreciate all the help here. I do not post much but read here as much as possible. Thanks for the advice.

Foxfield

Keep in mind that plenty of liquid IS neccessary for a scouring calf to prevent dehydration. Too much isn't a good thing, true, but too little is definitely a problem as well.

foxfield":2ixtp0l1 said:
Not afraid to say we made some mistakes here...but to clarify. Only the one day when the calf drank milk from a bucket did it take 11 qts. That was 11 qts milk replacer. Later as the calf went down, we cut back to two bottles of 4qts each day.

We gave the LA200 mainly as a precaution against pneumonia. Calf has showed strength but has not gotten up. When I said mix electrolytes and milk, I ment daily not at the same time. I gave the calf two bottles of electrolytes because of the volume of liquid it was passing.

Vet came this am and put it down.

I appreciate all the help here. I do not post much but read here as much as possible. Thanks for the advice.

Foxfield

Everybody makes mistakes foxfield, whether they admit it in here or not. You had the vet involved all through it, good for you. Sometimes it is a judgement call based on what you are seeing, hard to put across on the internet.

Did the vet give you ant reason for it being sick?
Any sign of that tube?

Sorry about the calf.

ALX

....and, Foxfield, sometimes our best efforts will never be rewarded...sometimes the calf just isn't gonna make it.

And, what ALX said is true...trying to get something across on this board can be tough. I, of all people, should know by now not to jump to conclusions...and I apologize for doing that.

Alice :)