Oops

Help Support CattleToday:

foxfield

Reaction score
Giving a calf a bottle of milk with a tube today. The calf bit the tube at the top of the bottle, I tried to extricate it but couldnt. I would guess there is 10-12 inches and the rubber tip still in. Called vet but he hasnt returned call yet.

Ever seen this? What would you do?

:lol2: Never seen that happen but there's only one thing to do, go get it.

Call another vet, or find an emergency vet clinic and take the calf to it. Even if it's a small animal clinic, that vet should be able to get the tube out. That's what I'd do...and quick. And, if you don't want to spend the money and the calf is suffering from it, shoot the calf.

Alice

Alice":35sqey8e said:
Call another vet, or find an emergency vet clinic and take the calf to it. Even if it's a small animal clinic, that vet should be able to get the tube out. That's what I'd do...and quick. And, if you don't want to spend the money and the calf is suffering from it, shoot the calf.

Alice
???? Shoot the calf?

ollie?":jxhp6yoq said:
Alice":jxhp6yoq said:

Alice
???? Shoot the calf?

If the calf is suffering and a vet won't help, and he/she can't get the tube out, and if there's no emergency vet clinic, and if he/she can't pay for an emergency vet clinic/call, then yes, shoot the calf. The calf is being tubed for a reason...obviously...

Lot's of ifs, I know, but a suffering calf that's a lost cause...yeah, Ollie, even I advocate putting the calf out of it's misery.

Alice

What do you tree huggin gun control old hippies want us to use to shoot them? Heroine? :p :lol: Just get the tube out of him.

Shut up, Ollie...if you can't propose anything constructive, then shut up..

Alice

Alice":167nxgkp said:

Alice
It was a joke alice. Notice the tongue sticking out, the laughing emoticon? Must have struck a nerve though. I gave him something constructive. I said go get the tube. There's no need to call a vet unless surgery is required. If it is required, I still wouldn't shoot the calf. Unless it is real hard plastic that would cut the esophogus , it'll keep till the vet gets in I imagine. I know one thing for sure, if you don't shoot him , he'll stand a better chance of making it than if you do.

ollie?":no3f9r82 said:
Alice":no3f9r82 said:

Alice
It was a joke alice. Notice the tongue sticking out, the laughing emoticon? Must have struck a nerve though. I gave him something constructive. I said go get the tube. There's no need to call a vet unless surgery is required. If it is required, I still wouldn't shoot the calf. Unless it is real hard plastic that would cut the esophogus , it'll keep till the vet gets in I imagine. I know one thing for sure, if you don't shoot him , he'll stand a better chance of making it than if you do.

If the calf was able to bite the tube, then there something jagged in there...and how could it not be lodged in it's throat. The poster said he/she tried to get the tube out...

Forget it...no doubt Ollie is completely right.

Alice

Alice":3tay7phg said:
Alice

Foxfield , has the vet called back??

If not someone get the paramedics to Alices place quick!!

Tell em to bring a straight jacket!

Shoot the calf!!! Shoot it's mother too because that is an inherited trait biting off those tubes!

:lol: :lol:

AngusLimoX":2ew20xv5 said:
Alice":2ew20xv5 said:
Alice

Shoot the calf!!! Shoot it's mother too because that is an inherited trait biting off those tubes!

Ya' ever had one bite a tube off? It's not that blasted comical...especially watching the calf strangle to death. :mad:

Alice

Alice":3r39pve6 said:
AngusLimoX":3r39pve6 said:
Alice":3r39pve6 said:
Alice

Ya' ever had one bite a tube off? It's not that blasted comical...especially watching the calf strangle to death. :mad:

Alice
Are you saying you've had one bite the tube off Alice.

Alice":1t2u51zs said:

Alice

It wouldn't be strangling, it would be asphyxiating. Never had it happen - but what I would do I is call the vet ( After nearly killing the calf to get it out )- like he did and then do what ollie said. One way or the other that tube would come out if the calf started to have breathing problems.

It may not survivie but I wouldn't shoot it.

Dumping a feed tube into a lung is more of an emergency than this is.

The tube is there - don't be gentle - get it out.

ollie'":1haq1qi0 said:
Alice":1haq1qi0 said:
AngusLimoX":1haq1qi0 said:
Alice":1haq1qi0 said:
Alice

Alice

Why yes, Ollie, I guess you could say that. I guess you could also say it was because the tube was a piece of crap that had been used past when it should have but it was all I could find and the calf needed electrolytes fast. I guess you could say that I've beaten myself up over that for a very long time. I guess you could say lots of things, Ollie...

Alice

AngusLimoX":249pv6j9 said:
Alice":249pv6j9 said:

Alice

It wouldn't be strangling, it would be asphyxiating. Never had it happen - but what I would do I is call the vet ( After nearly killing the calf to get it out )- like he did and then do what ollie said. One way or the other that tube would come out if the calf started to have breathing problems.

It may not survivie but I wouldn't shoot it.

Dumping a feed tube into a lung is more of an emergency than this is.

The tube is there - don't be gentle - get it out.

No foolin'...get it out...and if he can't get it out....and if he can't get the vet or someone to get it out...and as I said in the first place, if the calf is suffering, put the calf out of it's misery. What's so freakin' hard about that...

Oh wait, I know, do you?

Alice

AngusLimoX":1qv8w9l4 said:
You already had the chance to show what you know.

Hopefully he hasn't shot it yet.

If the calf was suffering and dying, let's hope he has.

Alice

Alice":2v4i6mef said:
ollie'":2v4i6mef said:
AngusLimoX":2v4i6mef said:
Alice

Alice

Why yes, Ollie, I guess you could say that. I guess you could also say it was because the tube was a piece of crap that had been used past when it should have but it was all I could find and the calf needed electrolytes fast. I guess you could say that I've beaten myself up over that for a very long time. I guess you could say lots of things, Ollie...

Alice

I have never had this happen but, I am with Alice, I would have already freaked and taken him to the vets. I have had to tube a calf and that scared me, so i can't think what it would be like have a bite it off. Ollie if you can't say something nice SHUT UP!!!! i think that i would not have left the calf in the first place. but i am terrifed of messing up. I have slept with dying calves, just to try to keep it alive.

Take the calf to the Vets now! or try to put oil in the mouth around the tube and pull.someone tell me if that is not the right thing to do??

Beat's heck outta waiting for the vet to MAYBE call back, cow crazy. In a situation like that your da*ned if ya' don't for sure.

Alice

Latest posts