Oops

Help Support CattleToday:

foxfield":31cvhvqj said:
Calf is drinking milk from a bucket without a nipple and without any other assistance. I have not given the LA200 shot which the vet admitted was an immediate reaction to the calf not eating. She has had 11 quarts of milk today. She is also eating grain. She clearly is having no immediate problems with the tube still in her. However we will continue the TLC for the next few days and hope that her problem really is lack of nutrition from being abandoned by her mom.

Thanks for the help here I really do appreciate it.
foxfield did the calf actually bite the tube into or did it pull apart where it was joined?

I luv herfrds":k4fui8i2 said:
Besides I am use to intubating people not cattle and I don't think the calf would have laid on his back and let me do it. ;-)

:shock: Hopefully your percentage is better in humans!

Alice":1a52muqy said:
Beat's heck outta waiting for the vet to MAYBE call back, cow crazy. In a situation like that your da*ned if ya' don't for sure.

Alice

Did i offend you? i don't understand your post?

cow_crazy_101":1nqwzi57 said:
Alice":1nqwzi57 said:
Beat's heck outta waiting for the vet to MAYBE call back, cow crazy. In a situation like that your da*ned if ya' don't for sure.

Alice

Did i offend you? i don't understand your post?

On the contrary...let me assure you. :)

Alice

I've never heard of that happening until now, but I was once drenching a goat with a plastic disposable syringe, and she went CHOMP! It took us over an hour to fish all the bits of plastic out of her mouth. She was fine in the end.

Calf bit the tube

Have cut down on the milk. She has runs but seems otherwise ok.

Mixing elecrtolites and milk. Calf is down but still alive. Have given two shots this week of LA200 to fight sickness. Vet coming again tomorrow am.

foxfield":xvsjqaia said:
Mixing elecrtolites and milk. Calf is down but still alive. Have given two shots this week of LA200 to fight sickness. Vet coming again tomorrow am.

11 qts! That is way too much liquid! Do not mix electrolytes and liquid! Screw the LA200...

Oh man...knee jerk reaction here...if the calf lives, sell it and don't fool with anymore bottle babies!

I'm sorry... :oops:

Alice

Be sure to read that electrolytes package. I'm sure that almost all of them say do NOT mix with milk, matter of fact no milk at all while giving electrolytes. And see if it contains sodium bicarbonate. I will have to go back in my notes to see how much to mix in if it's not in there already.

CowgirlUpNY":2ooexrw2 said:
Be sure to read that electrolytes package. I'm sure that almost all of them say do NOT mix with milk, matter of fact no milk at all while giving electrolytes. And see if it contains sodium bicarbonate. I will have to go back in my notes to see how much to mix in if it's not in there already.

There are a few electrolytes that can be mixed with milk replacer...and anymore, even on the package, it's suggested to NOT stop the milk replacer. Calves can be starved to death feeding electrolytes alone.

Bottom line, the calf is getting toooooo much liquid. Mix the milk replacer as such...more replacer...less liquid...

I've written this a million times...I'm done.

Alice

Alice":2mw1d7wr said:
CowgirlUpNY":2mw1d7wr said:

There are a few electrolytes that can be mixed with milk replacer...and anymore, even on the package, it's suggested to NOT stop the milk replacer. Calves can be starved to death feeding electrolytes alone.

Bottom line, the calf is getting toooooo much liquid. Mix the milk replacer as such...more replacer...less liquid...

Alice

Alice: I know you said you were done, but would you answer me this?

Are you saying to mix it so that it is richer/thicker in MR?? I know that too much liquid is not a good thing, especially when scouring. Would like to know for my own information/education.

CowgirlUpNY":1v60ja7p said:
Alice":1v60ja7p said:
CowgirlUpNY":1v60ja7p said:

Alice

Alice: I know you said you were done, but would you answer me this?

Are you saying to mix it so that it is richer/thicker in MR?? I know that too much liquid is not a good thing, especially when scouring. Would like to know for my own information/education.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Cut down on the water...put the water out so the calf can get to it, but cut down on the water in the milk replacer...

Alice

Thanks!! I will remember that when my husband brings home (and it's inevitable that he will) a bottle baby that I will need to try to keep alive. I don't think I've ever had that particular advice before.

CowgirlUpNY":1e7bvm4c said:
Thanks!! I will remember that when my husband brings home (and it's inevitable that he will) a bottle baby that I will need to try to keep alive. I don't think I've ever had that particular advice before.

I'll look for the article that put me on to this. It's made a world of difference for us...

Alice

Latest posts