Oops

Help Support CattleToday:

Alice,
I know what you mean. We tried to tube a calf that would not eat and we missed and tubed it into the lung and killed the calf. So Alice don't beat yourself up over it. Everybody has killed a calf at some point.
Foxfield can you see the end of the tube? Do you have anyone there to help you? If you can get help to hold open the mouth and look in. If you can see the end of the tube and can get a hold of it with a pair of needle nose plieres you might be able to pull it out. Don't use your hand the tube will be too slick to pull out.
You may end up sitting on the calf to hold it steady, use a broom handle to hold open the mouth and use a good flash light to look inside.
Good luck.

AngusLimoX":316p7ofi said:
I luv herfrds":316p7ofi said:
Everybody has killed a calf at some point.

To date, I don't belong to that club either. I think premature intervention (maybe not in this case) kills a lot of calves. Knowing when to, is not genetic but a learned trait.

Couple of questions:

1. Why would you put the business end in far enough for the calf to bite off the actual tube?

2. How do you get a commercial tuber into the lungs?

Just curious. :)

You use an old outdated one (that's all you can find and not worth a flip cause the tube is curved and too short and the good one has fallen out of the Polaris and nobody lets you know that :mad: )...and the calf falls down, or twists out from under you. It's not a pleasant experience... and yes, it happens.

I bought one that is a long stainless steele rod with a probe on it. It can't be biten off...it doesn't get nicked up by the calves teeth, and Van and I are the only one that uses it so we know were it is at all times.

Not everyone agrees on plastic or stainless steel...I prefer the stainless steel...for whatever that's worth.

Now, I must ask...what is a "commercial" tuber?

Alice

I luv herfrds":1r7ha1iy said:
Alice,
I know what you mean. We tried to tube a calf that would not eat and we missed and tubed it into the lung and killed the calf. So Alice don't beat yourself up over it. Everybody has killed a calf at some point.
Foxfield can you see the end of the tube? Do you have anyone there to help you? If you can get help to hold open the mouth and look in. If you can see the end of the tube and can get a hold of it with a pair of needle nose plieres you might be able to pull it out. Don't use your hand the tube will be too slick to pull out.
You may end up sitting on the calf to hold it steady, use a broom handle to hold open the mouth and use a good flash light to look inside.
Good luck.

Precisely what I was going to suggest. Make sure you have an extra set of hands. A hemostat would be even better if you have one 'cause you can 'lock' onto the tube.

KMacGinley":1dcrz8xl said:
Couple of questions:

2. How do you get a commercial tuber into the lungs?

Just curious. :)

The old esophageal feeders didn't have the bubble that the newer ones do, tended to be quite a bit harder and less manuverable(sp?) than the newer ones, and were one piece construction. Put all three together, and it wasn't difficult to get them down the lungs instead of the esophagus.

Old tube.
We thought we had it is the stomach, but we didn't. Calf was already suffering from pnuemonia and was not eating too weak to stand long enough to nurse on the cow.
As for the "Club" just wait, you'll belong soon enough. I have yet to meet an old rancher who doesn't have a story about killing a calf by accident.
Besides I am use to intubating people not cattle and I don't think the calf would have laid on his back and let me do it. ;-)
Cowgirl good idea I forgot about a hemostat.
Cowdirt the calf was 4 days old and had quit nursing on the evening of day 2 and would no longer latch on. He died on day 6 after the tubing. We milked the cow and that is what he was given. He would not suck on a bottle tried that.
Hey Angus what flavor of ice cream is it? ;-)

Vet did call back. He asked if the tube cut had any jagged edges, it does not. He asked if I could see the tube, I can not. He said surgery would be expensive and said that the rubber tube would dissolve pretty quickly if if was not cutting the calf.

Still living this am. Will see. I appreciate the responses.

PS

Enoyed the back and forth on this too! I will post back any developments if necessary.

Happy Easter!

foxfield":3ml6ifj5 said:
Enoyed the back and forth on this too! I will post back any developments if necessary.
Happy Easter!

You haven't shot it yet???? :lol: :lol:

Believe it or not Alice and I have spatted a few times before, but the bottom line is I have a LOT of respect for her, whether that comes out or not in the threads. :D

OK, can you feel the tube?
Is the stuck one the flexible soft plastic or rubbery kind?
Got yourself another tuber - a good one?
Tried him on a bucket yet?

Unless it causes him breathing problems, I don't see it being too much of a problem, but I'd keep looking and checking ,it may work it's way back up.

And having a haemostat ready is a good idea.

Happy Easter !! :lol:

P.S. - I think Alice is going to recommend some ProBios to help his little tummy digest that tube, so have some handy! :lol: :lol:

foxfield":394qtpp7 said:
Vet did call back. He asked if the tube cut had any jagged edges, it does not. He asked if I could see the tube, I can not. He said surgery would be expensive and said that the rubber tube would dissolve pretty quickly if if was not cutting the calf.

Still living this am. Will see. I appreciate the responses.

PS

Happy Easter!

Whew! Good news. Mine didn't make make it. It's such a bizarre thing to have happen...and I guess it happens so rarely...

You said rubber tube...I've never had a feeder tube that was rubber, so now I can see how it was bitten in two instead of being torn away with the calf's teeth. The tube I was using was old and in sorry shape ...should've been thrown away before, and of course, wasn't. :oops: My bad... :oops:

Now, can you still feed the calf?

Alice

Soft flexible plastic is the correct term I guess. Not going to tube again, have mixed milk in a bucket and giving that a try. Vet suggested leaving milk for a few hours. Wont take nipple bottle but is eating grain.

Will give a shot of LA200. Keep fingers crossed. Again Thanks!

I also will ask why LA200? Too much antibiotics is a bad thing.

With luck the tube will be desolved or will pass. The only real thing I would worry about is the calf getting blocked. I would make sure the calf is having bowel movements for the next several days, keep the pen clean enough that you can tell.

It's been a fun post to read, many of us have had back and fourths with people we respect and still respect .... right MS, CB and TXAG?

Alan

AngusLimoX":3r0lhmxk said:
foxfield":3r0lhmxk said:
Happy Easter!

You haven't shot it yet???? :lol: :lol:

Believe it or not Alice and I have spatted a few times before, but the bottom line is I have a LOT of respect for her, whether that comes out or not in the threads. :D

OK, can you feel the tube?
Is the stuck one the flexible soft plastic or rubbery kind?
Got yourself another tuber - a good one?
Tried him on a bucket yet?

Unless it causes him breathing problems, I don't see it being too much of a problem, but I'd keep looking and checking ,it may work it's way back up.

And having a haemostat ready is a good idea.

Happy Easter !! :lol:

P.S. - I think Alice is going to recommend some ProBios to help his little tummy digest that tube, so have some handy! :lol: :lol:

P.S. - I think Alice is going to recommend some ProBios to help his little tummy digest that tube, so have some handy! :lol:

Precisely... 8) :D :nod: :p :p :p

Calf is drinking milk from a bucket without a nipple and without any other assistance. I have not given the LA200 shot which the vet admitted was an immediate reaction to the calf not eating. She has had 11 quarts of milk today. She is also eating grain. She clearly is having no immediate problems with the tube still in her. However we will continue the TLC for the next few days and hope that her problem really is lack of nutrition from being abandoned by her mom.

Thanks for the help here I really do appreciate it.

Latest posts