One Season Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Bez,' 5 X 6 bale. About 90% of it is in low ground and maintains pretty good moisture.
Ollie, I can't do anything until the cotton comes off. I remember it being picked up until Thanksgiving, depending on the conditions.
Probably on the one season hay, I wouldn't be able to do much until next year. I am just trying to get my ducks in a row.
Most likely, I will see about the Vaughn's this next week. If it cost as much as they say it does to get it established, then I will plant an acre of it next spring, then as it grows and spreads, I will cut my own sprigs and spread it as far as it will go. Then on the following 12 acres in that field, I will plant soybeans, then oats if that is the path that I take. I just need to find out more answers about it for this area. I want to make use of the land that is sitting to feed the cattle.

Chuckie":27wcb9wy said:
Bez,' 5 X 6 bale. About 90% of it is in low ground and maintains pretty good moisture.
Ollie, I can't do anything until the cotton comes off. I remember it being picked up until Thanksgiving, depending on the conditions.
Probably on the one season hay, I wouldn't be able to do much until next year. I am just trying to get my ducks in a row.
Most likely, I will see about the Vaughn's this next week. If it cost as much as they say it does to get it established, then I will plant an acre of it next spring, then as it grows and spreads, I will cut my own sprigs and spread it as far as it will go. Then on the following 12 acres in that field, I will plant soybeans, then oats if that is the path that I take. I just need to find out more answers about it for this area. I want to make use of the land that is sitting to feed the cattle.

A good crop yields us 3 - 4 per acre.

Average - just drop the numbers by one to one and a half.

Cows love it.

Bez'

Chuckie":2j72k5ua said:
Bez,' forgot to add, a tight bale. Hard core.

Chuckie:

Here is a bit of UFI for you - forget the weight of the bale - just think volume. All things being equal, all hay from the same field and all baled at the same pressure - here is the amount of hay in each bale. All in cubic feet to give you an idea of how much hay is in each bale size:

4x4 = 50.24
4x5 = 78.50
4x6 = 113.04
5x5 = 98.125
5x6 = 141.3
6x6 = 169.56

Formula used - quick in the field solution:

.785 x diametre squared x length.

Allows you to compare the amount of hay you get when a scale is nowhere to be found.

Remember, I assumed all things equal - hay same type / baling pressure the same.

You now have a "rule of thumb".

It might come in handy if you are buying feed and the stack has more than one size bale in it - or you are comparing price between two farms selling different sized bales - I have had this problem in some cases.

No probs if sold by weight, but often the sale is based upon price per bale.

Also allows one to compare how much hay he is getting from a square bale purchase. Small squares have a habit of being priced up due to labour.

Bez'

Dang Bez' ... that's some pretty good writing about all that snow and 800 miles to feed. A little work and you may have yourself a song. I guess us folks down in the Deep South do have it good considering your 6 months of Winter. Heck, I fuss if I have to feed round bales for 3 months. Course this year, plenty of us are already on hay with the drought we've had lately. Ponds arn't doing too good either.

Time you melted a little of that snow and send it our way.

Good luck to you pardner.

Latest posts