One PROUD Dad

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
We worked our weaned fall heifers this morning before they went out to grass.
My eleven year old daughter ran the manual head gate and my seven (he'll be eight May 1st) year old son gave each hfr two of their four vaccinations. He needed two hands to run my Alflex 25ml pistol grips, but he got it done.
What a great morning! I'm so proud of them and they are super excited to work cattle again. There'll be 120hd of spring calves to run through the chute in June. They can't wait.
Maybe that's one good thing coming out of this Covid thing; kids get to spend extra time with parents and learn some hands on life skills.

One of the guys that helps me work cattle brings his twin sons, currently 11 but they've been helping for years. And by helping, I mean, on horseback rounding up the herd straight out of a Temple Grandin manual. They sort & run the calves through the chute, replace ear tags - pretty much anything their dad instructs them to do. Blown away by these boys so I completely understand how you're one proud dad. Well done!!!

Nice to read that kids enjoyed. And I agree that one of the best things that happened during the covid-19 crisis is that we get to have more time with the family.

Well the Diamond K kids were at it again. We worked fall cows today before turning them out for the summer. My daughter only had trouble catching one smart old cow that lunged at the last second and got a shoulder through.
My son gave them all there pinkeye vaccines and ran the drop door on the back of the chute.
The only thing they were disappointed with is that we ran out of cows to work. :D

Latest posts