One of our heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
This is a heifer my daughter consigned to the American Royal Simmental sale that is this Friday. She is a 3/4 blood April heifer, bred for a March Chopper calf. We had a good year showing her, and when my daughter was asked to consign her the the sale, she at first said no. But she realizes that she can not keep them all, so she sales!
How does she look? She has been out on pasture since we came home from State Fair in August, and all we did today was give her a bath and clipped her a little bit. She liked getting a snack for being a good girl!
tiana_oct_12a.jpg

Another
tiana_oct_12.jpg

She's pretty, shoulder rib attachment could have been a touch tidier, but still a very good heifer, just a little on the overconditioned side.

She is a little chubby, but can live on air! She has been in pasture, with no to very little grain. An easy keeper for sure! But she does not have fat around her tail head like really fat cattle can have.
For the American Royal, they have to be clipped, fit, and halter broke. Her new owners have the option of showing her the day after the sale in her junior and open class, so she needs to be ready to compete if they chose to. We are keeping the right to a flush on her later, when it is convenient for the new owners. We really think a lot of this heifer!
Here is a photo from about a month ago, taken for the sale catalog. We took it ourselves, and if you look real close you can see my daughter's long blonde curly hair on her hook bone! We did not see it until we took the pics and downloaded them, by then she was dirty again! :D
wide_awake_photo.jpg

KNERSIE":1a0j5dg8 said:
Good photo, bad photoshop job on the neck and poll

Yeah, someone on another cattle site changed it. The original went in the catalog, without the halter. I do not know how to photoshop photos, so someone removed the halter to show me what it would look like, then I noticed her neck and poll had changed. That is why I do not trust photos! I could not believe how much it changed the head. They also removed her yellow BANGS tag... why? Not sure.... maybe just to show me how they can change? But I just uploaded that photo because it shows what she looks like in a show pose. I'd send the original, but it is huge! It took me 15 minutes to get it sent to the company doing the catalog! Here is her you tube video http://youtu.be/BzHnFuRUXxA
Here is the catalog, and she is lot 8 http://www.edjesales.com/eberspacher/am ... index.html you can see they did not photoshop the photo other than removing the halter.

Anyway, we are real happy with how she turned out, and I hope my daughter does well at the sale on Friday. This will be the first heifer she has ever sold, so a bit exciting for me but sad for her. I keep telling her she needs to sell some of her heifers! Our ranch is only so big :D

She is a really pretty heifer. I hope that she sells well for your daughter. You really do have nice stock. You take care of them and it shows.

Once your daughter gets the check, the pain of parting with the heifer will soon fade away : )

chippie":2bshrypx said:
She is a really pretty heifer. I hope that she sells well for your daughter. You really do have nice stock. You take care of them and it shows.

Once your daughter gets the check, the pain of parting with the heifer will soon fade away : )

Thanks for the kind words. Only having 30 head allows us to pay closer attention to our girls (cattle, that is!). This crop of calves coming this fall is the first time we have had to use live bulls (a long story!), so we will see what develops from this calf crop! We like the AI option, since we can match each cow to a bull that best suits her. Then, calves that look like they will make good show calves get the extra attention of halter breaking and clipping. The grain only comes to the ones that actually get in the kids show string, so maybe 6 head (we have three kids that show)?
I hope my daughter starts to see the "other side" of raising cattle! I sell the bulls, and the money goes into the farm account to pay for the feed for the show animals. But, the kids get to keep the money from the heifers, so maybe once she gets that check in her hand it will ease her pain! :nod: I guess we will see!

Baldie Maker":3kui7jh6 said:
nice heifer, lot 13, 14, and 15 look like the start of my sim influenced herd. :banana:
You have a good eye! We have a flush mate to lot 13, and love her! We showed her all year and most times she was grand or reserve. She did really good for my middle daughter!
mulan_small_2.jpg

This is a picture of her at State Fair. She placed second in her VERY BIG class, behind the champion percentage heifer for state fair. My daughter (the younger one in the pic) was asked to consign her to the Royal sale, but she said NO WAY! She loves this heifer, and is trying to build her herd (she has 3 cows/heifers). The only problem I have with the heifer is that she is positive for NH, thanks to her dam (3403). The heifer is due to calf in about 2 weeks, and she is excited. So good buy there if she is half as good as her flush sister!!! :clap:

That's interesting you brought that up; I assumed that because she was assigned to this sale she either was out of a clean dam or tested free herself. I'm not attacking the owners but I don't see any indication in the sale catalog that she is a possible carrier or tested at all. Guess that goes to show one must always do his/her homework before hand. Nice heifer by the way, I believe the upgrade have a very nice look about them.

Baldie Maker":2aloy6my said:
That's interesting you brought that up; I assumed that because she was assigned to this sale she either was out of a clean dam or tested free herself. I'm not attacking the owners but I don't see any indication in the sale catalog that she is a possible carrier or tested at all. Guess that goes to show one must always do his/her homework before hand. Nice heifer by the way, I believe the upgrade have a very nice look about them.

Yeah, that is one issue I have. I am knowledgeable enough to go out and look for myself, but others may not be. When we bought our Upgrade, she had not been tested so we bought her knowing she might be positive. I did not think it would be a problem because she will always be bred to a purebred simmental, and they are not carriers (typically, especially AI bulls). But, I think that all catalogs need to list their color, green, yellow, pink or red. Then people could chose to look further. The lot 15 is pink, meaning her dam is positive and she has not been tested.

Latest posts