One man corrals?

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like someone is just trying to captitalize on Temple Grandins designs. There are plenty of designs free on the internet to get ideas from without having to pay someone.

They're not very similar to Temple Grandin's designs. Most are circular corrals or some variant thereof. He has some good ideas particularly if you are building wooden pens.

gberry":2t467vb0 said:
They're not very similar to Temple Grandin's designs. Most are circular corrals or some variant thereof. He has some good ideas particularly if you are building wooden pens.
Temple Grandin's designs are based on curves and circles. And you don't have to buy her book to figure that out. It is free on the internet. You don't have to spent 70 bucks to get a decent set of plans for the average set of working pens.
Train your cattle and even a poor set up will work.

novatech":1p1wi1tn said:
Unless the wind is howling. 2 weeks ago with 40-50 mph winds we worked the cows and had to move them across the lane to the working pens from a pasture. Took 3 hours to get the idiots moved. They've been moved like this hundreds of times. Took longer to get tehm across then lane then it did to work them. Sunday I moved them across the lane again to the working pens and had to get out of the way to keep from being trampled, took about 2 minutes.

dun":dkkft605 said:
novatech":dkkft605 said:
Unless the wind is howling. 2 weeks ago we worked the cows and had to move them across the lane to the working pens from a pasture. Took 3 hours to get the idiots moved. They've been moved like this hundreds of times. Sunday I moved them across the lane again to the catch pens and had to get out of the way to keep from being trampled, took about 2 minutes.
Don't ya hate that
I went and moved cows yesterday one herd almost ran over the 4 wheeler when I was opening the gate,1 herd I had to get behind and get them headed in the right direction and the third herd I had to drive them into a new pasture

Angus Cowman":3ay5y5c7 said:
Don't ya hate that
I went and moved cows yesterday one herd almost ran over the 4 wheeler when I was opening the gate,1 herd I had to get behind and get them headed in the right direction and the third herd I had to drive them into a new pasture
I was about ready to move them with the tractor after I prepared them for the move with a rifle!

novatech":eutfg4ob said:
gberry":eutfg4ob said:
Temple Grandin's designs are based on curves and circles. And you don't have to buy her book to figure that out. It is free on the internet. You don't have to spent 70 bucks to get a decent set of plans for the average set of working pens.

You're correct. They do both use curved working chutes, etc. Otherwise they are not very similar.

I don't have one curve in my setup, and I can bring them in, sort them, and run them into a squeeze by myself. Not saying curves are bad, just that they aren't an absolute "have to". The only place I wish I had a curve is in my alley leading to the squeeze so they would move without balking, but I have only had that problem a handful of times.
But I certainly didn't pay anyone for a design, I made what I wanted. But there are TONS of free designs out there as others have said.

grubbie":2y4766w0 said:
I don't have one curve in my setup, and I can bring them in, sort them, and run them into a squeeze by myself. Not saying curves are bad, just that they aren't an absolute "have to". The only place I wish I had a curve is in my alley leading to the squeeze so they would move without balking, but I have only had that problem a handful of times.
But I certainly didn't pay anyone for a design, I made what I wanted. But there are TONS of free designs out there as others have said.
My corrals are straight sided, except for corners which I crossed to make into 45's. The crowding tub is made up of 4' straight sections to form a curve of sorts. I believe the curve chute would work better for people that work cattle that are not very familiar with being worked or cattle being worked in facilities they are not familiar with. I don't want to leave out that they would work better for those that don't know how to work cattle.
I figure if I can work a bunch of freshly weaned F1 Brafords in my corrals smoothly, by myself, then I have a good design.
And there is always one cow that will defy all the basic principles known to man. Like the one I have that will back through the chutes every time. Or the extremely docile one that will stand motionless at the entrance blocking the path of the other cattle.

Latest posts