Once a chronic, always a chronic?

Help Support CattleToday:

born2run

Reaction score
Night before last a cow came through the parlor that I recognized immediately from last lactation. She was dried off early because of high SCC, and I was curious how she'd be this lactation. Suffice it to say last night I got permission from the herd manager to treat her. The reason I asked him at all was because I knew her past history. Just leaves me wondering what the cure rate is on these cows?

you say the cow was dryed up last yr b/c of chronic mastitis.an she calved back again with same problemsyes she is a chronic cow.you can spend $200 real fast treating her mastitis.but you already treated her.so id put her on the cull list.an cull her when her slaughter withdrawl time is up.an untill i could cull her she would stay in sick pen.you dont need her running the sccs up.

Is she a problem ia all 4 teats? If not just drop the infected quarter, I do it, and it works just fine, they still give quite a bit in 3 teats, with no problems. If it is more than one teat, send her down the road, isn't worth the money spending to treat again, especially if she has staph aureus. In my experience, once they get staph they are on the cull list sooner than later.

Good luck

[/quote]Harder you work the harder it is to surrender.

I treated both rears last night...but if I remember correctly it was only the L/R that was infected last year. DHI is at the end of the month...that's the earliest I'll know her actual SCC. I have little sway as far as culling goes there, but I'd think the herd manager sees what I'm seeing.

How old is the cow, born2run? That has some bearing on deciding what to do also. Don't you have a lab within the milk company your employer ships to, to send cultures and cells to? That would be quicker for sure instead of waiting till the end of the month. Does she gel alot on the paddle test?
What did you treat her with?

Got to run, weather radio just went off, bad weather a coming, but more rain, which is great.

Gail

I'm a little limited as to what I can do there...to my knowledge they don't even the gel to run a CMT. I treated her with Amoxi-mast...will see if the herdsman retreated her this morning and with what tonight. Not sure on her age...again I'll check recs tonight.

Edited to add: She's a 6 year old...should've checked, but I believe she's 4th lactation. Clearing nicely after a round of Amoxi-mast. Maybe it wasn't staph afterall, what I initally suspected.

Latest posts