On calf watch

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3el2e5oy said:
We've had two heifers in two days - yahoo!!! out of Macho heifers (our sire we are promoting).
Way to go Jeanne, Hows the calves doing ?

Carnivore":fbh3dx89 said:
No news. She is just lapping up all the attention and the easy grub, sleeping on a bed of straw. Guess I was a little premature, (better me than the calf).
Yes it's better for you to be premature. My hubby let my cow out of the pen ,because She wasn't ready yet. Thats why we had to bring the calf home and warm it up. I keep checking your thread and I'm waiting right along with you.
Best of luck
Joy

Okay, I found out the bad news about calving pens. You got to shovel a bunch of bovine excrement every once in a while. Never had to do it when they just hung out in the pasture.

Wife was happy though, she said "You mean straw and manure for compost? Put in in my garden!"

So, the ol silver lining thing strikes again. No news yet.

Joy in Texas":1cu73ufd said:
Just wondering how everything is going over there ? No calf yet?

Well, I had to go out of town for three days, and was sure she would get to it when I was gone, with wife on calf watch. But, she didn't go yet. Her bag is getting bigger each day, and she is looking like she is ready, so the wait continues.

There is now a mucus plug, and her udder is nice and full. She will have plenty of milk. Still waiting.

Status Report:

Nothing new, except her udder is now VERY full, and she lays around a lot. Of course, in a small holding pen and all the food she can eat, what would one expect?

Perhaps she is holding off because she has it so good. It would be nice to get a good nights sleep.

Carnivore":3327yfl9 said:
Status Report:

Nothing new, except her udder is now VERY full, and she lays around a lot. Of course, in a small holding pen and all the food she can eat, what would one expect?

Perhaps she is holding off because she has it so good. It would be nice to get a good nights sleep.

I don't know how much more of this I can take. It's getting way too suspensful. Go out and tell her to get with the program!

Alice

Okay, okay. She had the calf...

At 4:30 am, I checked on her and she was standing, humped up. I told myself, good, she is about to calve. At 5:30, I checked on her again, (my normal waking time is 5:00, I actually slept pretty good last night. Anyway, at 5:30, she was laying down, I told myself good, she isn't calving at the moment.

At 6:30, checked again, and there was a dark lump in the calving pen, with momma nosing the lump. A "clue", as we say in the police biz.

So, went out and checked, and lo and behold a brown wet shivering lump of calf, fresh with afterbirth all around and momma starting to lick it. A pretty good start.

Now, a half an hour later, calf is up and appears to be nursing, (what a relief). :clap:

Pics to follow, when the sun comes up...

Well, I just let out a big sigh of relief! Can't wait for the pics! :D

Alice

6 hours into it, and momma has "Barrett" cleaned up, there is new straw in the pen, and he alternating between napping, nursing and romping. Momma has passed the afterbirth, and she seems pretty relaxed.

Because I am on dial-up, photos take forever to upload, so will try to get a couple posted tonight.

Carnivore":21qhl8og said:
6 hours into it, and momma has "Barrett" cleaned up, there is new straw in the pen, and he alternating between napping, nursing and romping. Momma has passed the afterbirth, and she seems pretty relaxed.

Because I am on dial-up, photos take forever to upload, so will try to get a couple posted tonight.

That is tooooo cool! :)

Alice

Carnivore, I know you are glad that calf arrived in good shape and is doing fine...well done! Take a deep breath. And it sounds like you're taking good care of them. I look forward to some photos along with everyone else!

Little guy is doing well, despite the freezing temps. Days have been warm here though. He is romping, eating and even drank a little water today.

Unfortunately, I am not being successful in uploading pics, even though I have some. Sucks being on dial-up.

Latest posts