On calf watch

Help Support CattleToday:

We recently finished our heifer calving season and it went smooth as silk. Three of the four calves are doing really well, the other one was born early but we had no problems getting the calves here. The bull was a LBW Black Angus.
Good Luck!

Darn, I guess I should have asked earlier about getting their weight. Sounds like I need to get a tape. I would have been able to tape them at birth, but you will not catch them now.

Today, moved her into the calving pen, (life of Reilly). Straw bedding, lots of hay, clean water, and alfalfa treats. Now, she just has to do her part.

Also, got collustrum and milk replacer in the event she doesn't want to be a loving mother, (there is some history in this regard, her half-sister didn't want her first calf).

Carnivore":35fnrp7l said:
Today, moved her into the calving pen, (life of Reilly). Straw bedding, lots of hay, clean water, and alfalfa treats. Now, she just has to do her part.

Also, got collustrum and milk replacer in the event she doesn't want to be a loving mother, (there is some history in this regard, her half-sister didn't want her first calf).

I'm on the edge of my seat here. I keep checking this thread to see if she's calved! Keep us updated. We've got a heifer due on the 22nd. I hope she holds out until this cold spell passes on by. That's more for my sake than hers. :)

Frankie":rv74kvz7 said:
Carnivore":rv74kvz7 said:

I'm on the edge of my seat here. I keep checking this thread to see if she's calved! Keep us updated. We've got a heifer due on the 22nd. I hope she holds out until this cold spell passes on by. That's more for my sake than hers. :)
Me too. Mine is in her pen also. I'm on an hourly watch.I know it's not going to be long now. I just hopes she has it before the bad weather get here.It's wet but aleast it's not freezing cold yet

So there I was today, me and my buddy Larry decided to build a rain shelter for when it starts raining here again in a week or so. Joan, (the heifer) was in the pen with us, and Larry asked me if we might want to secure the gate, (it was just closed, not chained). Naw, I responsed, she has never bumped a gate open.

Of course, you know what happened next. Joan decided to make a jail brake, and we spend the next 15 minutes coaxing her back into the large pasture.

Well, after getting the rain shelter done, mucking out the pen, etc, tried to get Joan back in the Pen. No such luck, she didn't want to go back to jail, I guess. Alfalfa cubes, COB, neither worked.

So, she is out with the herd tonight, (will probably calve tonight, my luck).

Either way, will try to get her back in tomorrow. Here is a picture of Joan...

P6080001.JPG

More tomorrow...

Carnivore":flh2t2on said:
So there I was today, me and my buddy Larry decided to build a rain shelter for when it starts raining here again in a week or so. Joan, (the heifer) was in the pen with us, and Larry asked me if we might want to secure the gate, (it was just closed, not chained). Naw, I responsed, she has never bumped a gate open.

Of course, you know what happened next. Joan decided to make a jail brake, and we spend the next 15 minutes coaxing her back into the large pasture.

Well, after getting the rain shelter done, mucking out the pen, etc, tried to get Joan back in the Pen. No such luck, she didn't want to go back to jail, I guess. Alfalfa cubes, COB, neither worked.

So, she is out with the herd tonight, (will probably calve tonight, my luck).

Either way, will try to get her back in tomorrow. Here is a picture of Joan...

P6080001.JPG

More tomorrow...
Aw,she's a pretty heifer.

I wouldnt be listenin for any "loud mooing". Usually when a cow calves she moo's really soft, and often....like she's talkin to the calf before it is delivered.....same sound she makes after it arrives.......

good luck

jersey lilly":3fgy6k7q said:
I wouldnt be listenin for any "loud mooing". Usually when a cow calves she moo's really soft, and often....like she's talkin to the calf before it is delivered.....same sound she makes after it arrives.......

good luck
Yup, I call it "humming"

had one last night 8:00 p.m. in the pouring rain at 36 degrees and i was cold and wet. everything went good first calf heifer.
no problems this time, lost one last month born too early, not due till now.

jcarkie":3eudbj09 said:
had one last night 8:00 p.m. in the pouring rain at 36 degrees and i was cold and wet. everything went good first calf heifer.
no problems this time, lost one last month born too early, not due till now.
I would sure keep an eye on this baby. Cold rain is much worse than freezing weather.

jersey lilly":3esbszpa said:

good luck

Agreed, but it has been my experience that when a calf isn't getting mothered, and is in distress, it can moo pretty loud. Then there are the other cows who are excited.

Joy in Texas":1apvxupb said:
Aw,she's a pretty heifer.

I'll pass on the complement. :heart:

BTW, Joan tucked her self back in the pen this morning, (sometimes a guy does get a break)! :)

i went and check the baby this morning it was everywhere running and following mom and everyone else. so i let it follow me in to the tagging pen while mom ate. it is a dandy heifer #28 green, lots of vigor, which is what i like, she was trying to get up last night as soon as she hit the ground.

jcarkie":l3150025 said:
i went and check the baby this morning it was everywhere running and following mom and everyone else. so i let it follow me in to the tagging pen while mom ate. it is a dandy heifer #28 green, lots of vigor, which is what i like, she was trying to get up last night as soon as she hit the ground.

Better go take a baby pic. and post. Congrats...

ATovet35":18xiarzo said:
On your post you mentioned alfalfa hay. I was told that I shouldnt feed my cows alfalfa?

I have always fed the cows a little alfalfa, either in bales or cubes. Was told early on the added protein was good for them.

Anyone have any comments on this?

Our other cows never make any noise or fuss over a new born calf. Nine times out of ten the cow that calves goes off by herself and doesn't bring the calf out for a couple days. When she does...the others nose around the calf a lil bit then go on about their business. Last spring I watched one born from start to finish...other cows around the whole time....the young heifers that had never had a calf were more interested than any of the cows. They sniffed....then walked on.
I don't worry too much about cows calving. They've been doin it for eons by themselves. I do go check on a daily basis how everyone is doin in general. But never have I gotten up durin the night checkin on a cow due to calve. There's only been one time I intervened, it was about 16 degrees, and we were havin a freezin rain storm. The cow had the calf just fine, but couldn't git it dry by lickin it. So I gathered the calf up and carried it to a covered pen attached to a barn. Put a lil hay in there and the calf, the cow went right in after the calf. Left em there a couple days, till the storm was over.

Now...when you grab that calf to tag it....THAT there's when they all come runnin, and bellerin makin sure you aint got their calf gathered up. LOL

No news. She is just lapping up all the attention and the easy grub, sleeping on a bed of straw. Guess I was a little premature, (better me than the calf).