Older diesel truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
Looking to downgrade to an older 99-03 7.3 ton 4wd with the manual, or a 97 to 01 5.9 cummins manual. Just wondering if there's anything specific I need to look for while shopping? I haven't owned a cummins older than 03 and I had a couple older 7.3's about 10yrs ago so I'm outta the loop. I've got an 08 6.4 Ford and looking to go down to something cheaper I can pay off quick.

They are solid trucks both of them. I prefer the Ford especially in those year models. Much better truck around an equally good motor. I drive an 00 f-350 now 281k on it and it works hard and never misses a beat. Just lucked into another that only has 68k this week and had to do some scratching to make that deal happen but couldn't let it go. Same as most of them check for leaks or weird noises, make sure it runs/idles smooth etc. a little oil residue on the turbo tubes of the 7.3 is not unusual but shouldn't be caked on. I love that Ford 6 spd. too they are smooth and have good gear sets for pulling. They are hard to find tho so good luck with your search. Keep us posted on the search and best of luck. Just a question tho you haven't had the 6.4 long have you? Any major problems or complaints or just to much $?

I don't think you can go wrong with either engine. I have a 02' 7.3 with a six speed manual transmission and it's a good truck. Not the most powerful truck but it's reliable, I pull 15-20k with mine and it's stock except for an aftermarket filter and larger down pipe. A friend of mine has 95 cummins with 300k on the clock and it's still a pulling machine. I would look for the lowest mileage, adult driven and stock truck I could find. I purchased mine two years ago with 94k and had to give top dollar for it with those miles. Bottom line IMO you can't go wrong with either with a manual tranny.

SmokinM":11zh81dc said:
They are solid trucks both of them. I prefer the Ford especially in those year models. Much better truck around an equally good motor. I drive an 00 f-350 now 281k on it and it works hard and never misses a beat. Just lucked into another that only has 68k this week and had to do some scratching to make that deal happen but couldn't let it go. Same as most of them check for leaks or weird noises, make sure it runs/idles smooth etc. a little oil residue on the turbo tubes of the 7.3 is not unusual but shouldn't be caked on. I love that Ford 6 spd. too they are smooth and have good gear sets for pulling. They are hard to find tho so good luck with your search. Keep us posted on the search and best of luck. Just a question tho you haven't had the 6.4 long have you? Any major problems or complaints or just to much $?

No issues with my 6.4 I just want to have a paid for truck. My payment is pretty low because I got a decent down payment from my trade in plus I got the 6.4 for a steal. I'm just ready to own an older truck and more cattle as opposed to a new nice truck and less cattle.

First congradulations on your ideas of not being a concrete cowboy. I deal about as many cattle as anyone around and I have a 2001 Dodge 3500 flatbed with 160,000 miles on it. It has dents and rust but will haul everything I can put in the trailer. My everday truck is a 1995 Toyota with 180,000 miles on it. I gave 3,000 for it 5 years ago. Lots of cattle have been bought with the money it would have taken for truck payments. Don't get me wrong, I could pay cash for a new one but it just dont make sense to me. But to each his own.

On the dodges, don't be scared of them because of age, I'd go into the early 90's readily. My dad bought a '92 with 300,000 miles that runs like a dream, the first generation trucks are better trucks all around than the 2nd generation, pretty trouble free transmissions, best fuel mileage, and will take the most sh!t-kicking of any truck out there, they have leaf spring front suspension, which may not ride the smoothest, but is the least maintenance by far, kingpins rather than ball joints that always die, standard wheel bearing that you can repack as opposed to these unitized things that you just have to replace now, and they're MADE OF METAL.
Everyone I know would rather have the 12V engine (pre-98.5), some of the early 24 valve engines had bad block castings that would crack, and the injector pumps are no where near as reliable. I heard good things about the mileage you get out of the "common rail" trucks, which was about 2003 or something, but don't know much more about them than that. 6 speed trannies are very nice to have, but if you don't abuse them, the 5 speeds with the nut fixed are pretty decent... What can I say, I'm making over double the stock power and torque, and it is the weak link.

kenny thomas":nbw45pdz said:
First congradulations on your ideas of not being a concrete cowboy. I deal about as many cattle as anyone around and I have a 2001 Dodge 3500 flatbed with 160,000 miles on it. It has dents and rust but will haul everything I can put in the trailer. My everday truck is a 1995 Toyota with 180,000 miles on it. I gave 3,000 for it 5 years ago. Lots of cattle have been bought with the money it would have taken for truck payments. Don't get me wrong, I could pay cash for a new one but it just dont make sense to me. But to each his own.

Wise words from Kenny! :nod: :clap: :clap: :clap: The best way to get ahead financially is to live below your means.

It's the best way to stay alive! I think the first generation trucks were the best built.. like anything, they started cheaping out, and it hasn't gotten better... they put more gizmos in it to justify a higher price while the basics aren't there anymore

kenny thomas":2225e047 said:

Yep, KT said it best. I did finance my gas f-250, but it was cheap and I can pay it off if I had too. Cows make the money, the truck and trailers are just tools to make money. Truthfully, if you dont ship alot of cows all the time, its better money spent to pay some one to haul them. When I came across the cattle insert for 1k, I got it. It will pay for itself for out partime operation.

John SD":2fdn4f1l said:
kenny thomas":2fdn4f1l said:

Wise words from Kenny! :nod: :clap: :clap: :clap: The best way to get ahead financially is to live below your means.
This. Exactly. I won't even go into the dodge ford thing

Nesikep":y6rg72i4 said:
It's the best way to stay alive! I think the first generation trucks were the best built.. like anything, they started cheaping out, and it hasn't gotten better... they put more gizmos in it to justify a higher price while the basics aren't there anymore
Not exactly. They are putting more gizmos in them to appease the EPA. Sure the exhaust is cleaner but there's more fuel being burned and the overall output is higher because of the EPA junk.

A older truck is great if you don't travel. I don't have time to be in the shop or worse having to walk. I can't imagine a 2001 truck with 160k miles on it. My 99 truck had 314k miles on it when I traded it on a 06.

My dad's '92 has 300k miles and is in excellent mechanical condition, had a couple oil leaks when we bought it... front main seal, so I fixed that up, new tranny, rearend, interior is excellent, some rocker panel rust is going to get fixed this summer and it'll get a repaint, at which it'll be like new again... certainly get a good 10 more years out of it, and it uses less fuel than our '90 toyota land cruiser (6cyl gas, auto, 14 mpg) and has more room and can tow the trailer

highgrit":2s995s7c said:
A older truck is great if you don't travel. I don't have time to be in the shop or worse having to walk. I can't imagine a 2001 truck with 160k miles on it. My 99 truck had 314k miles on it when I traded it on a 06.
I agree highgrit on older trucks. It takes alot of maintenance to keep these old trucks road worthy. I have a 05 Dodge 3500,5.9,6peed with close to 400k on it. Still pumps out about 20 mpg on the highway. Its about 100 mile radius truck for us. I worry more about age than miles myself. Old parts are ..old parts and they will fail at the most inopportune time. I had this clean 89' f350 crew cab, 7.3, 5 speed. Loved that truck, it was taken care of before I got it and I was spot on maintaining it. I called it my retirement truck, it was that clean. I really had no idea on miles...400k that I know of. I had a O ring go out in the fuel filter head. Simple part to replace...except that no one had it that I called and went to. Prior to this I had some other things go out that left me on the road and I had to call friends to come get me. I am approaching 50 yrs old, its getting harder to find friends/relatives that will roll out of bed at 2am to come get me cuz my truck broke down. I use to put 90-100k a year on\ a 1 ton hotshotting. I am no stranger to high miles, age is the killer. JMO

Here is my old 2002 7.3 6 speed PSD with 26K on it. It still has the sticky cover over the carpet that came with it new. This spring I just replaced the original Motorcraft batteries and last year replaced the original tires.
It stays in the garage and used only when needed. I hope it last a long time ( It doesn't get wrecked) as I will not buy another diesel truck from all the problems I have heard about the newer ones. Also the truck is stock and never had any upgrades nor will I add any.

006pfs.jpg

newimagepy.jpg

My buddy's truck is a 96, was his FIL's before him, it's got 600,000 hard miles on it, he's always get a welder, 2 big tool boxes and a tidy tank of diesel on it, and it spends a lot of time on logging roads.

I just think old trucks get older less quickly than newer ones... I know they always break down at the most inopportune times... Once, on my way to a wedding 4 hours away, my fuel return line sprung a leak behind the fuel filter.. MISERABLE place to get to... Managed to fix it in a parking lot, and had to go buy new clothes and still smelled of diesel when I got to the wedding

Latest posts