Old Tire Rims

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
The only good use for I could think up of for these would be to use them to put a 20 lb salt block on for cattle.

Only bad thing is that the salt corrodes(sp?) the rim after a few years of use (5 yrs, maybe?).

What other possible uses could there be, I wonder :?: ...??

IluvABbeef":1cqrgobn said:
The only good use for I could think up of for these would be to use them to put a 20 lb salt block on for cattle.

Only bad thing is that the salt corrodes(sp?) the rim after a few years of use (5 yrs, maybe?).

We use 50 pound salt blocks and the rims will last way longer than 5 years.

Wewild":ob184fvl said:
IluvABbeef":ob184fvl said:

We use 50 pound salt blocks and the rims will last way longer than 5 years.

I guess I was exaggerating on the 5 year part...sorry 'bout that...come to think of it, it has been five years the tire rim in the back corral has been in use, and it's still holding up. The one in the front corral has been there for more than 10 years, I think...yep, it has. Sorry agian, guess my head's been befuddled after being on this board for a few hours today, lol.

you can put them together in a triangle and make a Christmas tree out of them.

Wewild":2no3tnlx said:
IluvABbeef":2no3tnlx said:
I guess I was exaggerating on the 5 year part...

Where you buy 20 pound salt blocks?

Peavey Mart or UFA (United Farmers of Alberta) stores.

Occaisonally Co-op.

I've always known to get the blue (Cobalt) blocks.

Beefy":2ef87y3r said:
you can put them together in a triangle and make a Christmas tree out of them.

:lol2: :lol2: Now THAT would be neat to see!

it doesn't get rid of many, but they are great for coiling hoses. I use one for the back yard, and have two by the pool - one for a regular hose and one for the vacuum hose.

I use them for salt too, but worry about whether the salt - metal interaction might be toxic????

IluvABbeef":1ubx2wp7 said:
Wewild":1ubx2wp7 said:
IluvABbeef":1ubx2wp7 said:

Occaisonally Co-op.

Haven't ever seen them.

Wewild":2hfrclc4 said:
IluvABbeef":2hfrclc4 said:
Wewild":2hfrclc4 said:
IluvABbeef":2hfrclc4 said:

Occaisonally Co-op.

Haven't ever seen them.

They're Canadian-based stores, Wewild. That's why you wouldn't find 'em down were you are, in the states.

IluvABbeef":3k7irr8h said:
They're Canadian-based stores, Wewild. That's why you wouldn't find 'em down were you are, in the states.

I had already figured that out.

Hippie Rancher":3mkiktcf said:
it doesn't get rid of many, but they are great for coiling hoses. I use one for the back yard, and have two by the pool - one for a regular hose and one for the vacuum hose.

I use them for salt too, but worry about whether the salt - metal interaction might be toxic????

What kind of salt do you use?

I've always put the salt blocks out on the rims as far back as I can remember, let the calves lick it right down to almost nothing, and I've never seen any ill effects in them from toxicity...

Wewild":3bqr9p8h said:
IluvABbeef":3bqr9p8h said:

I had already figured that out.

Well, geeze...thought you might :D

Normally I use a loose trace mineral in rubber tubs, but when its real rainy I use plain white blocks...they are hard and last longer.

I haven't ever seen any problem that I could pin to it, just one of those concerns in the back of my head. Most folks around here throw blocks on the ground, so I am the only person I know that uses rims.

one laid flat and one on edge on top of the flat one (welded)
make good jack stands.

two welded side by side and a 2 x 12 a kids teeter toter

bases for volley ball net poles

put on a spindle with a side handle to roll welder cable on

concrete reenforcement

I've only used 1 & 2 but have seen 3,4, & 5

I have seen a guy use 4 rims to make a feed hopper that just rolls along untop of a 200 ft long feed bunk.
Also seen guys use smaller rims on sliding gates in a cattle working setup.

There is a guy in Clanton, AL that stack 4 front tire rims off of a tractor and smoked Brisket for 20 hours and it was good.[/quote]

Latest posts