Old stomping grounds

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
After heavy rains.

Those are the canyons in the background that we ran cows, 300-350 acres per cow

Lake-border-web.jpg

now just think about those numbers dun, you could have owned one of those canyons and drylotted as many cows on 15 acres as you could have run on 20,000

dun":2hl4kp52 said:
After heavy rains.

Those are the canyons in the background that we ran cows, 300-350 acres per cow

Lake-border-web.jpg

Do you miss it? Beautiful place.

To multiple posts:

East side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Kern County, CA. Just south of Dunmovin, CA, Inyo County, in Indian Wells Valley.
I miss the scenery and the solitude up the canyons. When the wild flowers start to bloom it will knock your eyes out. That's the country I refered to way back when about horses as the proper mode of working cattle. Different circumstances require different ways of doing things.

dun

Jake":q3rspb42 said:
you could have owned one of those canyons and drylotted as many cows on 15 acres as you could have run on 20,000

Drylotted in the flat lands. That's where the alfalfa fields lay. It's a hard perspective to see, but it's 35 miles from the lake to the foothills in this picture. And there is a town of 50k folks in there too.

If you ran 1 cow per 300 acres, how in the world would you keep check on your cattle? How do you round them up to work them? That would take forever, I would imagine?

sidney411":gn11yqlz said:
If you ran 1 cow per 300 acres, how in the world would you keep check on your cattle? How do you round them up to work them? That would take forever, I would imagine?

Yeah how did you do this? And may I ask dun, how many head you did run and what kind? Hereford, and Red Angus?

Generic beef cows with a healthy dose of Brahman. The canyon cows all we worried about was that they had a claf, quality didn;t really matter all that much. Aorund 250-300 head, a partnership deal. Rounding up was done with all of the people we could scrounge together. You just pushed the canyons into holding pens at the mouths of the canyons. After you pushed them all, you started over again. Never got them all, some died, some butchered by folks, some just never came out of the canyons. They were usually all pulled by the end of May, but it wasn;t unusaul to see one wandering around in the middle of the summer. But those were in the springs and no way in the world to catch them. It was/is BLM range with leased grazing rights.

dun

That seems like a lot more work then it would be worth to only run around 300 head of mongrels on partnership. IMO. How could you afford to do it?

sidney411":hvzy5ikx said:
How could you afford to do it?

Just barely. But, the experience and knowledge has been really invaluable. It's one of those mistakes that I learned from. The old boy I was partnered up with had been doing it his whole life, his 3 boys are probably still doing it, pretty much the same way.
I think that running those ranunchy range cows is what gave me a tendency to like more condition on my cows.
But ude similar circumstances and age, I'ld probably do the same thing agian. There are a few folks in that area that raise cattle the same way in that same environemtn. The biggest expense is hauling the cows from the canyons over the mountains to the irrigated pasture at his ranch. Of course you don;t count hours as dollars in this equation.
I would also think that there are folks in other desert range areas that pretty much do things the same way even now. Some use 500 gallon lick tanks for preotein. We did it as a very low input business.

dun

Latest posts