Old stomping grounds

Help Support CattleToday:

does that terrain call for much brahman influence? Roughly how many bulls would you all run?

Arnold Ziffle":3k41xwmk said:
Dun -- about how far from one waterhole (or trough) to the next one out there? I'd guess pretty far, and that's where the Brahman influence really helps, in addition to the heat?

Bingo! Water was anywhere from 5-10 miles apart, and part of that was up and over the sandy/rocky ridges. 10-15 bulls. The cows tended to stay in smallish groups. A dozen or so give or take to a group. The reason for not using the Gert bulls was because of the excess milk in the replacements, plus we had a problem with calf stealing by the cows. One cow would claim a couple of calves, fight off their mothers till the mother finally gave up. Then you'ld end up with a couple of fat(for that area) cows and one that was skin and bones that was raising multiple inferior calves. That may have been strictly a bloodline phenomonon. I used a Gert bull on cows on irrigated pasture and while the cows would babysit half a dozen calves and feed them while their mothers were out grazing, they didn;t steal the calf. Different cows would have the babysitting duty, wasn't just one cow. We had almost too much milk in those cows, but with the irrigated pasture it didn;t really hurt.
That's one of the reasons I seem to harp on the "forage base" issues.

I still think that when we get out of cattle permanently we'll end up back in some high desert canyons somewhere. That kind of country is the prettiest and the ugliest I've ever seen. But the solitude makes it well worth putting up with a little ugly, and the pretty part with the spring flowers and the veiw makes you not see the ugly near as much. Standing on a ridge and being able to see for 50 miles has a strange attraction.

dun

Latest posts