Old pto shaft question

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
So I have this old New Holland 273 baler I'm trying to get into working order but the PTO shaft end that hooks up to the tractor has me baffled. It slides on the tractor perfectly but it has no locking mechanism, only 2 holes a little smaller than 3/8" . I was going to put 2 pins in and wrap it with electric tape but the holes are on the low side of the grooves so it wouldn't hold it on. Has anyone else had this problem?

I was going to post a picture but I can't do it from Photobucket for some reason it says the dimensions are too big.

I figured it out, went up to my neighbors he said the old shyt had a hole for a pin to go through and sure enough I took an awl and there was a hole slightly behind the groove on the tractors shaft and I cleaned it out and then I put a bolt through it and went out to do a test bale and it started raining.

Yep. I remember those lock holes in the pto shaft. I believe N series Fords and some MFs still had them, but the over running clutch you put behind the PTO shaft had the groove.