Old photograph

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter":pljnxv9s said:
I have always thought that cattlemen up north are missing out on some great crosses. A quarter to 3/8 ear would make for some super cattle in our northern climates.

:clap: That is all!

JWBrahman":2g69wuyd said:
WalnutCrest":2g69wuyd said:
Has anyone seen any research that would put the palatability of these crosses on the same level or above the main "good eating breeds"? I only ask because all of the research I've seen has Brahman-influenced cattle down the list in terms of eating quality.

I am curious which research you have seen? Chippie posted a link to the Houston Livestock Show steer evaluation last year. The Brahman and Brahman cross steers graded as well as anything except Red Angus.

Not talking about grades ... I'm talking about the actual dining experience. Tenderness, flavor, juiciness and overall palatability ... etc ...

This is puzzling to me because I have never heard of Texas BBQ or Louisiana cuisine ranking at the bottom of any palatability tests that are called free market capitalism.

Taste is very subjective. The ABBA has a tenderness EPD that is based on shear force.

And you didn't answer my question about which studies you are referencing but I didn't really expect that you would. Most of you rare breed guys are heavy on self promotion and light on the data.

cloud9cattle":3t22y2a1 said:
houstoncutter":3t22y2a1 said:
I have always thought that cattlemen up north are missing out on some great crosses. A quarter to 3/8 ear would make for some super cattle in our northern climates.

They could work in northern climates but then again they can die of subzero temperatures. These cattle are not very efficient, especially at feeding time in the winter and in feedlots. I don't know how they could handle winters that can plummet to -50F degrees and not suffered any frostbites. Perhaps that is why us northerners has to stay away from these eared cattle. Also you're better off using the local Brahman & crosses than importing them since the locals will handle the winters better than the imported ones.

Taurus":2i40ayns said:
cloud9cattle":2i40ayns said:
houstoncutter":2i40ayns said:

They could work in northern climates but then again they can die of subzero temperatures. These cattle are not very efficient, especially at feeding time in the winter and in feedlots. I don't know how they could handle winters that can plummet to -50F degrees and not suffered any frostbites. Perhaps that is why us northerners has to stay away from these eared cattle. Also you're better off using the local Brahman & crosses than importing them since the locals will handle the winters better than the imported ones.

Guess someone should have told Tom Lasater that eared cattle couldn't make it in Colorado ! I think it gets cold in Colorado .

houstoncutter":14zbzjny said:
Taurus":14zbzjny said:
cloud9cattle":14zbzjny said:

Guess someone should have told Tom Lasater that eared cattle couldn't make it in Colorado ! I think it gets cold in Colorado .
I've heard about his cattle and I guess that Hereford and shorthorn really helps them to survive the winters. Still even beefmasters can die from severe cold winters if they are not acclimating to the winters. Colorado is really warm when it compared to Minnesota winters. It gets below 50 quite regularly here.

JWBrahman":ck1xueqo said:
Wichita, there has always been a tendency for cattlemen to need some medical assistance when they start choking after hours of patting oneself on the back. Self promotion, marketing, and outright bullying have always been part of the equation since the 1800's. There were four Hudgins brothers and one of them was in Brahman before JD, but JD was the biggest and the meanest looking of the bunch so the company is called JDHudgins 120 years later.

The Ag programs at Texas A&M and LSU have actually done a lot to give the accountants and schoolteachers raising a few head the opportunity to see the data and make better breeding decisions than were available in the past.

I think this advertisement says it all. The claims are pretty funny to the modern cattle producer.
HL_20140601042014.jpg

A bit of experience and folks would have no reason to ever argue with those claims.

Like your cow too Nesi...bet she does you a jam up good job in your location. Probably would work here as well.

JWBrahman":35m96esy said:
This is puzzling to me because I have never heard of Texas BBQ or Louisiana cuisine ranking at the bottom of any palatability tests that are called free market capitalism.

Taste is very subjective. The ABBA has a tenderness EPD that is based on shear force.

And you didn't answer my question about which studies you are referencing but I didn't really expect that you would. Most of you rare breed guys are heavy on self promotion and light on the data.

1) Cuisine and BBQ are far different from beef palatability. Sauces, rubs and spices can sure cover up a lousy piece of meat. Why do you think Heinz (et.al.) makes so much money?

2) I agree, taste is very subjective. What one person likes, another may not.

3) While I believe an EPD for tenderness / shear force is far less accurate than direct feedback of a consumer who just ate your hamburger or ribeye, I do think it's great that the ABBA has identified a tool they believe will help Brahman breeders identify superior animals that will do a better job of putting the product on the plate of the people who pay the freight --- the meat eating consumer.

4) I didn't realize you were unaware of the research from MARC (et.al.) that notes that, generally, the higher the Bos Indicus influence, the lower the tenderness ... and ... that, at least as it regards the average US consumer, tenderness is highly correlated with an enjoyable dining experience. MARC research on beef tenderness, including details on cattle with Bos Indicus influence, and a less academic review of meat tenderness (including a reference to the common perception that Brahman beef is less tender than other breeds).

5) You didn't exactly answer my initial question about the dining experience of eating Brahman influenced cattle.

6) I'm not sure why you've assumed I'm afraid of data because the breed I raise isn't one of the major US breeds. Here's some research that shows Aubrac beef is lower in cholesterol than both Charolais and Simmental. ... anyhow, I'm not sure what you were thinking I needed to post, re: data ... LMK and I'll see what I can do.

7) I know Brahman cattle can really perform in the pasture and on range ... I simply have never knowingly eaten very high-percentage Brahman beef without marinades, sauces, rubs, or other fancy preparation. So, how does cooked Brahman beef, on a stand-alone basis without any help, actually do when plopped in the mouth?

WalnutCrest":kjaqgdx5 said:
JWBrahman":kjaqgdx5 said:

1) Cuisine and BBQ are far different from beef palatability. Sauces, rubs and spices can sure cover up a lousy piece of meat. Why do you think Heinz (et.al.) makes so much money?

2) I agree, taste is very subjective. What one person likes, another may not.

3) While I believe an EPD for tenderness / shear force is far less accurate than direct feedback of a consumer who just ate your hamburger or ribeye, I do think it's great that the ABBA has identified a tool they believe will help Brahman breeders identify superior animals that will do a better job of putting the product on the plate of the people who pay the freight --- the meat eating consumer.

4) I didn't realize you were unaware of the research from MARC (et.al.) that notes that, generally, the higher the Bos Indicus influence, the lower the tenderness ... and ... that, at least as it regards the average US consumer, tenderness is highly correlated with an enjoyable dining experience. MARC research on beef tenderness, including details on cattle with Bos Indicus influence, and a less academic review of meat tenderness (including a reference to the common perception that Brahman beef is less tender than other breeds).

5) You didn't exactly answer my initial question about the dining experience of eating Brahman influenced cattle.

6) I'm not sure why you've assumed I'm afraid of data because the breed I raise isn't one of the major US breeds. Here's some research that shows Aubrac beef is lower in cholesterol than both Charolais and Simmental. ... anyhow, I'm not sure what you were thinking I needed to post, re: data ... LMK and I'll see what I can do.

7) I know Brahman cattle can really perform in the pasture and on range ... I simply have never knowingly eaten very high-percentage Brahman beef without marinades, sauces, rubs, or other fancy preparation. So, how does cooked Brahman beef, on a stand-alone basis without any help, actually do when plopped in the mouth?

We eat calve that are 1/4 Brahman 1/4 Hereford and 1/2 Limousin and yes those critters are very lean. Everything is aged 21 days. Melt in you mouth great flavor and no marinates. Some folks seem to think you have to have a ton of marbling to have a great steak.horse shytt!

My brother who sell a couple hundred steers on the side has converted a many CAB eaters

I'll add more experiences on eating Brahmans. I've had 1/2 Brahman & 3/4 brahmans (Brahman x Holstein crosses) before and they tastes the same to me when I had Angus steaks. They were tender and flavorful. Not much fat on these steaks.

Latest posts