Old Hay Rake

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1020055.jpg

Anybody ever used this model?

Yep. Been there and done that.

Just don't get your foot under the trip pedal and the frame. It hurts...a lot.

Where is the seat and tongue?

Is it an Ideal?..or McCormick?

preston, my Grandpa took the seat off and mounted it on a short post to sit on and fish from about 40 years ago. It's still down by the pond he loved to fish in. Don't know where the tongue went. Probably McCormick, but not sure about that.

Don't remember much about it but I do recall cracking my head wide open on one of those. Seems like they didn't have backs on the seat and those tines were made out of some pretty hard metal. :oops: :lol:

Yes, I have used one of those. I have one that belonged to my great-granddad. He pulled it with horses. I have rode it by being pulled by a Ford 8N, or a Fergueson 35, or pulled it with no one riding it, tripping the dump with ropes tied to the pedals. I still have it, it is parked in the corner of my mother's hayfield.

I remember seeing one like that used. Going crossways on the field, and dumping it at the right time to make a straight windrow.

Man :roll: Took so much more skill to put up hay in those days. :eek:
No time for daydreaming. :cboy:

use to pull one behind a farmall to pick-up the scatterings left behind. My grand father did'nt have the best or some would say newer equipment.So we would make a windrow from the scattering and bale it up. We had baling twine tied to it from the tractor to trip the dump rake. Don't beleive that's OSHA certified?? LOL Did know an old timer Charlie Noyes who lost some fingers because the twine wrapped around the tire. Thinking back now glad I still have my diggets.

Actually the rake was used for making wind rows and then the rake was used to go down the rows and ...SHOCK...(pile of hay)the hay by dumping ......about every 30-40 feet depending on how thick the hay was. Then two guys...one on each side of the shock... using hay forks....would pick up the shock and put it on a flat bed wagon.

The hay would be put in the barn.... loose...or taken to a stationary baler for baling.

Hard work.

preston39":cpjamnan said:
The hay would be put in the barn.... loose...or taken to a stationary baler for baling.

Hard work.

No hotter place in the world than the loft of a barn in July piling loose hay.

Cabo":39119y3v said:
preston39":39119y3v said:

Hard work.

No hotter place in the world than the loft of a barn in July piling loose hay.

A barn loft full of loose hay can be pretty hot other times of the year as well. ;-) :oops:

Our rake is similar, I'll try to get a pic. It's all metal with the same metal wheels, but it has a lever. When the lever is all of the way to the right the rake doesn't move, pull it out to the field and flip the lever all of the way to the left and that activates the gears and will turn the rake part. It's not PTO driven just the moving of the wheels turns the rake. We get a hard time for using such an "antique" but it works great and I can rake faster and more comfortably in my truck than on the tractor!

OMG, I don't remember exactly how many years (not that long ago) we had two steel rakes, and used them both. Let me tell you, on the hills they suck! They really slide around....UGH! They were used on hubby's parents dairy farm for AGES! It did the job, but I was sure glad to "upgrade" to our 256 and 258... they are like caddies compared to the old steel wheel! :D

Michele

Latest posts