Oklahoma Hereford Supply and Demand

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
I've never had more calls than I have this year from prospective bull customers. Most of the time, I haven't had the age they were looking for etc, but have done my best to help them find what they were wanting. In three weeks, I have located only two breeders with Polled Hereford bulls at least 18 months old, and they had one each. I'm hearing the same story from the Horned Hereford guys. Everyone that I've talked to is sold out of two year old bulls. I hear good results from the OBI sale.(See Cattle Sales)

This kind of demand has been a long time coming, and is a wonderful problem to have for us Hereford folks.

even i kind of like herefords now and i used to hate them. they still dont sell well here though. i'm having a lot of hereford marked beefmaster calves this year.

With the increase of black cattle out there bull buyers are probably want a good Hereford bull to get baldies

I've seen more people down here buy hereford bulls lately b/c of the versatility. In that I mean you could put them on a brahman to make tigers, you could put them on an angus to make baldies, a brangus to make super baldies, etc. I've even noticed people buying hereford heifers and crossing them with angus or brangus for the same reasons. Hereford heifers/cows down here can be bought fairly cheap in comparison to other breeds. Anyway to save money will maximize profit, and buying hereford cows may be a viable option for some.

greenwillowherefords
I found the same thing here. Very few here are in the bull business. Lot of commerical herds with herf cows and baldies.
But not many bulls.

It is true that herfs are very versatile. There aren't many breeds that they can't cross well with.

I think the return to moderate frame, easy-keeping cattle is as responsible as anything for improved Hereford demand, as that is where their core has been. CHB and Ridgefield branded beef programs aren't hurting the cause. I've read a report that CHB is having trouble supplying the demand.

Meanwhile, many Herf breeders have been diligently working to eliminate weaknesses and flaws.

A commercial cattleman who has several herds of cattle was the gentleman who called me a while back, and I've been trying to help him find what he's looking for. He is looking to replace the Hereford bull he recently sold. He had been running this Herf bull on about 55 head with another mature bull of another breed. He said 40-45 of the calves would be sired by the Herf. It is my opinion based on various reports like this that a Herf bull as a rule spends less time trash talking across the fence and more time with the cows than some of his competitors. I shouldn't have said that of course, because now I have probably brought various wraths down upon my head. :help:

You could be right; but I think it could just be that the Herf was the dominant bull of the two. Put a polled 2 year old in there with that older bull and he may just have 10 calves too.

greenwillowherefords":141lu4w9 said:
I've never had more calls than I have this year from prospective bull customers. Most of the time, I haven't had the age they were looking for etc, but have done my best to help them find what they were wanting. In three weeks, I have located only two breeders with Polled Hereford bulls at least 18 months old, and they had one each. I'm hearing the same story from the Horned Hereford guys. Everyone that I've talked to is sold out of two year old bulls. I hear good results from the OBI sale.(See Cattle Sales)

This kind of demand has been a long time coming, and is a wonderful problem to have for us Hereford folks.

Seeing the same thing here. A good friend of mine just bought 2 polled herf bulls for his black cows. He had one that broke his tool shortly after he was put in with the girls and now cant find one to replace him with. ( He doesnt want the horns or he said he would use mine) He thinks my bull was better looking than his but just doesnt want that horn gene. Well at least I offered. JHH

Good crosses indeed!

xbcnclf.jpg

An interesting experiment done with Herefords.

http://www.cruachan.com.au/html/body_experiment.htm

It's happening here, too. We just got home from the VA Beef Expo, the wife and I were talking on the way home and we both agree herefords will be the breed to gain the most popularity in coming years. Being a lowly commercial guy, I can usually sneak a couple nice young pairs without high-name pedigrees out of the sale for $1000-$1400 to bring home and cross to raise me some replacements. I came home this year with a full billfold and empty trailer. Part of the herfs recent succes IMO is the popularity of the Angus cross. You get the best of both worlds, crackerjack steers or excellent mama cows. In my area I see a lot of people in their 50s, 60s, and 70s with a handful of cattle and a few acres who really buy into the herf breed. Those folks remember how Dad did it back when and appreciate the docility. Let's face it, not many people in that age group want to deal with a cocky little angus or a hot continental, neither do I. Not trying to step on anyone's toes here, but you have to hand it to the herfs on disposition, hands down. I have a lot of angus influence in my cattle as well as some simmy, but my favorites are the old herfs, can't beat 'em. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1lsygb55 said:
It's happening here, too. We just got home from the VA Beef Expo, the wife and I were talking on the way home and we both agree herefords will be the breed to gain the most popularity in coming years. Being a lowly commercial guy, I can usually sneak a couple nice young pairs without high-name pedigrees out of the sale for $1000-$1400 to bring home and cross to raise me some replacements. I came home this year with a full billfold and empty trailer. Part of the herfs recent succes IMO is the popularity of the Angus cross. You get the best of both worlds, crackerjack steers or excellent mama cows. In my area I see a lot of people in their 50s, 60s, and 70s with a handful of cattle and a few acres who really buy into the herf breed. Those folks remember how Dad did it back when and appreciate the docility. Let's face it, not many people in that age group want to deal with a cocky little angus or a hot continental, neither do I. Not trying to step on anyone's toes here, but you have to hand it to the herfs on disposition, hands down. I have a lot of angus influence in my cattle as well as some simmy, but my favorites are the old herfs, can't beat 'em. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

cfpinz

Just hard to beat their attitude, demand is up here for the heifers as well.

If I had every dollar that my Uncles made off of Herefords, and Baldies, way back when, I'd be set for life. I learned a lot from them, from the time I was knee high to a Grasshopper.That's why I keep quite a few of them.

Latest posts