ok im back with more questions flies salt/ mineral blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I noticed at the farm supply store ad today that the horse and cattle fly repelant was diffrent . the cost was not the same.
#1 I know horses dont have horns [unless there really are unicorn ranches somewhere in texas or australia ] that i dont know about . But my calves are polled so they dont have horns flies i asume. so is a fly a fly even if its on a horse or a cow? I did note one of the active ingredence were the same in both but the one for horses had an added ingredeant the 4 dollar a gallion diffrence would add up after a while . im just trin to save a few bucks its a bad fly season here . I been using a pour on but it dont last long dont want to put on to much . thinking about deluting it but not sure what with or if that will streach it any and still work
#2 i saw a fly block instead of salt/mineral block do they work i have a salt/mineral block and they use it. would i need both
#3 mineral buckets do they need that in adition to salt blocks?
#4 if they do should they be kept out of the weather

ok ill stop just wanted to ask 2 ended up bein several questions lol thanks in advance guys and gals .
im still learnin here oh some one ask me what the b & C stood for broke and crazy

Crystalyx has a tub I'm using now - full mineral, salt, and fly control - that can be kept outside. No added salt as it will slow intake of the mineral and thus larvacide. I believe I'm using Crystalmaz IGR. Check their website. Seems to be doing a good job here.

Okay.....
a lesson in marketing.

EVERYTHING is more expensive if it says on the lable or the advertising..... HORSE.....
why....
because many horse people have no connection to other agriculture other than a desire to ride thru it....
because horse people will pay more....
because horse people thnk their babies are fragile little creatures who will perish without the best.
because horse professionals cultivate this belief to enhance their marketing ability....
because horse people have no background in nutritrion or agriculture to base decisons on......
becasue horse people will only listen to other horse people.....
this list can be endless

second post on the topic.

I am using a mineral based fly control product this year (IGR).
this is my first year becasu my neighbor would never consider the additional expense for his cows. Why do mine and then get the advantage of his flys anyway.

New neighbor this year who is using it and asked me about it. I said sure.

It is just June of the first year but another cattleman who was here a couple days ago expressed that my new neighbor has a lot less flys on his cows than the visitor does on his cows. I do not think my neighbor is using any other fly control measures. I do use rubs in gates and such with diesel based fly control additive. So Far my flys are manageble as well.

I am using the same mineral product mixed into my horse feed daily. each horse gets about an ounce in the daily feed.

Horses are still living......amazing ain't it?

the fly burden seems at this point to be better in the stable area this year as well. Still have gnats. Still have May flys. Too early yet for the big black B52 horse flys and i don't think they use manure as a reproductive medium but I could be wrong here. I just do not know.

Correct about horseflys and manure. It's muddy wet and or swampy areas that they use to breed. IGR helps, but the fly wipes and pasture rotaion also contributes to fly control.

pdfangus":2529ybb2 said:
Okay.....
a lesson in marketing.

EVERYTHING is more expensive if it says on the lable or the advertising..... HORSE.....
why....
because many horse people have no connection to other agriculture other than a desire to ride thru it....
because horse people thnk their babies are fragile little creatures who will perish without the best.
because horse professionals cultivate this belief to enhance their marketing ability....
because horse people have no background in nutritrion or agriculture to base decisons on......
this list can be endless
:clap: :clap: Absolutely :clap: :clap:

TexasBred":1ahlej12 said:
pdfangus":1ahlej12 said:
Okay.....
a lesson in marketing.

why....
this list can be endless
:clap: :clap: Absolutely :clap: :clap:

and I have two horses a mule and two mini donkeys.
I know horse people
I interact with horse people
I ride with horse people
they all call me a cow man because they think I don't understand that their babies are not cows.
never mind a bs in animal science or a life time in animal agriculture.
when I go to a ride they look at my stock trailer funny cause it does not have a tack room and a dressing room.

TexasBred":vczwas5x said:
Dang pd..you don't have one of those big aluminum trailers with the dressing room etc.

nope mine is a little Moritz top cat stock trailer bumper pull. steel. all steel... heavy.

been rebuilt once and I added steel.

new oak wood floor 2 inch thick been painted three times

even built my own stall divider for the horses so the mare would not kick the gelding.

pdfangus":1mraqdj1 said:
Okay.....
a lesson in marketing.

why....
this list can be endless
actually this time the horse stuff was 2 dollars cheaper go figure huh

TexasBred":22ubafdn said:
Dang pd..you don't have one of those big aluminum trailers with the dressing room etc.

hey i dont even have a trailer. a friend of mine left his in my yard one day and its still here. that was almost 2 years ago . I have used it 5 or 6 times. He tells me everytime i see him im going to come get that trailer but its still here. I think hes waiting for me to get new tires on it everytime I use it I have to put a tire on it fix the lights or do something to it .

B & C cattle co.":2jgm5rnc said:
TexasBred":2jgm5rnc said:

hey i dont even have a trailer. a friend of mine left his in my yard one day and its still here. that was almost 2 years ago . I have used it 5 or 6 times. He tells me everytime i see him im going to come get that trailer but its still here. I think hes waiting for me to get new tires on it everytime I use it I have to put a tire on it fix the lights or do something to it .
If he ever comes to pick it up start doing some fancy figuring in the palm of your hand and tell him you're calculating the storage charges. ;-)

Back to the blocks...the horse block probably contained Rabon...those for cattle could have had Rabon OR and IGR.

I have this economic theory that the real way to stimulate the economy is to give everyone a horse.

Jim

SRBeef":2ikmmrmo said:
I have this economic theory that the real way to stimulate the economy is to give everyone a horse.

Jim
hahahaha......especially if you owned a feed store or a hay business. You know horses can't eat anything but "Horse Hay".

Latest posts