Oil prices

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":dkx5qn1i said:
cowboy43":dkx5qn1i said:
Rewrite the question to: Which is better for the Country high beef prices or low beef prices?

I hope what I am saying is understood. I do not think record high priced beef is good for anyone but for a short lived time its good for us as a producer. However, I feel as though prices should be as such that the average family can not look towards turkey or chicken or pork or the country looking for cheaper imported beef. IMO the whole country needs an realignment of prices on EVERYTHING. Greed has ruined this country and will take it down the drain. I am good with someone making money and making a fair profit however I do not agree with someone getting someone over the barrel just because they can. Oil companies can survive on cheaper oil prices if they wanted too and the big CEO's would cut Their huge salaries. Prices of everything should be relative to the economy. What I find strange is if theres a natural disaster and I increase my prices too much I would be accused of gouging and have a big headache to deal with. IMO price gouging goes on everyday and the gov't picks and chooses who to regulate. IMO oil companies are some of the worse price gougers out there. I will never be rich or on the cover of fortune magazine because I don't believe in raking people over the coals just to do it. I know my customers some are rich some are not but I do know they work everyday like I do so I offer them a fair price whether I pull up to a million dollar home or 50k you will get same base prices I have set forth. We need to get back to doing what is morally right to each other. :2cents:

Feel the Bern.

Caustic Burno":ff9gioi4 said:
Ten million jobs is not minut
Then the jobs that supports is astronomical

How many of those jobs are directly in the U.S.?

I found this

Monthly number of full-time employees in the United States from January 2015 to January 2016 (in millions, unadjusted)

This statistic shows the unadjusted number of full-time employees in the United States. In line with the definition of the BLS, full-time workers are persons who usually work 35 hours or more per week. In January 2016, about 121.41 million people were employed on a full-time basis.

10 million folks out of 121.41 million using your number means 111.41 people aren't in the oil and gas industry in which cheaper oil would potentially benefit.

Now keep in mind I don't like seeing any person unemployed that wants to work but theres a point when you can't let a smaller amount of folks stop progress.

See M5 were you are confused is I don't draw one dime from an oil company today. I did make my money in the industry and have a fair knowledge of the impacts to the economy and security of the country.
Oil is the only commodity we have to have to function our daily lives as a nation.
You can't even go to work tomorrow without it.

High prices of any commodity even the beef we raise will increase the amount of the commodity to a point that the volume will suppress the price. I have observed this through out my live. Dairy business as example higher milk price more milk produced lower price more milk produced to keep up with the cash flow to be
able to pay the banker.

skyhightree1":3cd7kqmz said:
Caustic Burno":3cd7kqmz said:

I found this

Monthly number of full-time employees in the United States from January 2015 to January 2016 (in millions, unadjusted)

This statistic shows the unadjusted number of full-time employees in the United States. In line with the definition of the BLS, full-time workers are persons who usually work 35 hours or more per week. In January 2016, about 121.41 million people were employed on a full-time basis.

10 million folks out of 121.41 million using your number means 111.41 people aren't in the oil and gas industry in which cheaper oil would potentially benefit.

Now keep in mind I don't like seeing any person unemployed that wants to work but theres a point when you can't let a smaller amount of folks stop progress.

Sky how many jobs do those support, they support 2.7 more jobs that is a huge chunk of our economy.
We can not function in today's society without public works.
Oil is public works regulated just like electricity etc by the government .
It is a fungible product.
Nuff said too many can't see past me me me.
Not aimed at you.
I won't be here in fifty years if we maintain the coarse of the last fifty
May God have mercy on America.

Caustic Burno":3v4pwvql said:
skyhightree1":3v4pwvql said:
Caustic Burno":3v4pwvql said:

I found this

Sky how many jobs do those support, they support 2.7 more jobs that is a huge chunk of our economy.
We can not function in today's society without public works.
Oil is public works regulated just like electricity etc by the government .
It is a fungible product.
Nuff said too many can't see past me me me.
Not aimed at you.
May God have mercy on America.

May God have mercy on America

Good honest statement there Mr. Burno as will a lot of us and the young ones on here will be where you and I are now so be it not much we can do about it. So enjoy each day and let the good thoughts prevail over the bad ones.

I think the gov't could do things to regulate the price without directly setting it...

For one, the cost at the pump can't go up until new fuel is delivered to the station... I'm sick of every time there's a MINOR disturbance somewhere the gas price at the pump here jumps $.10.. but they will work like heck to not bring it back down.

So why is the oil price low? demand hasn't drastically changed.. we're driving as much (or more) with lower prices.. supply didn't suddenly double... What's the point of OPEC? I have a hard time believing the current blabber in the news that Saudi's are increasing production to make up for the lower prices...

I think we should look at the major powers at play... Who might get hurt the worst from the low oil price? Perhaps Russia? ISIS??.. everyone else is collateral damage in the bid to break Russia.. South American countries are a welcome collateral damage, as is Canada and the midwestern states.

This low oil price is certainly not accidental.

What's killing us all is speculation... from sub prime housing lending, oil speculation, and BEEF speculation.. How can you ever get a stable economy without stable commodity prices?

M-5":2iab7pvf said:
I understand the regional effect but Heres a news flash !!!!!!!! everyone does not work in oil and gas. Its just a minuet segment of employment in the USA. When your economy was doing well the rest of us were told to "go to heII" gas and oil jobs are all that matters. I hate that people struggle when their sector takes a down turn but Its not my fault when they lived HIGH ON THE HOG like it was going to last forever. I have worked off of commission for many years I know what its like to be rolling in money and what its like to be dead broke. Nothing last forever and everything runs in cycles. The OIl and gas industry is to blame for allowing the government to get their greedy little paws in the kitty. Right now I see hope and relief on the faces of the people and it is partly to blame because lower gas prices Those dollars are going back into small business and it will benefit millions and not just thousands.

When are people in the medical industry going to get the downturn they are LONG overdue for? :mad:

shaz":269vfs4p said:
M-5":269vfs4p said:
I understand the regional effect but Heres a news flash !!!!!!!! everyone does not work in oil and gas. Its just a minuet segment of employment in the USA. When your economy was doing well the rest of us were told to "go to heII" gas and oil jobs are all that matters. I hate that people struggle when their sector takes a down turn but Its not my fault when they lived HIGH ON THE HOG like it was going to last forever. I have worked off of commission for many years I know what its like to be rolling in money and what its like to be dead broke. Nothing last forever and everything runs in cycles. The OIl and gas industry is to blame for allowing the government to get their greedy little paws in the kitty. Right now I see hope and relief on the faces of the people and it is partly to blame because lower gas prices Those dollars are going back into small business and it will benefit millions and not just thousands.

When are people in the medical industry going to get the downturn they are LONG overdue for? :mad:

By people in the medical industry, I sure hope you mean insurance companies, because they are the only ones truly making huge profit in healthcare..one of the reasons very few of our best and brightest choose to be doctors anymore. Smaller hospitals are cutting and closing nation wide- and it ain't because they're getting rich. Even the bigger ones are cutting and consolidating. Insurance companies and lawyers have helped to rape or healthcare service system and the gov't not only allowed, but set the example with things like medicare/medicaid and how they mismanaged these services.

Craig Miller":14gop1u7 said:
. over paid oil workers are only a tiny fraction of the workers in USA quote

So are over paid roofers. Me and you will never agree on this m5 and I think we've discussed it enough we both know that. Caustic gets it. Looks like grey beard does too. Up stream and down stream jobs is what we are talking about. I'm sure that your business is up and your fuel bill down. I bet there are thousands of roofers all over oklahoma, texas, luisiana, Pennsylvania, new york, ohio, utah,new mexico, north Dakota, california, and alaska who are losing their businesses right now due to the downturn. Crazy the oilfield affects people in so many states. :deadhorse:

Just for the record,in my 30 years in the construction industry, I have NEVER met an overpaid roofer, and especially not these days...Just sayin.....

DeepSouth heres my :2cents: in answer to your question, which probably aint worth quite that much....

The price of oil being low the past year has, overall, been good for our economy, mainly because its temporary, and we all know it. Yes, energy sector jobs are very important, and yes it has caused hardships in certain areas. There is no denying that. but...this is still a temporary thing. OPEC wanted to prove they had bigger ones than us, and wanted to break the shale glut. They will not sustain these prices forever either, it will start to cause political problems for them at home. The Russians will eventually go to war with somebody, anybody, to get the prices back up. Meanwhile, its taken alot of pressure off an awful lot of people here, who were getting killed by high fuel costs. The energy sector has been boom & bust since its inception, I don't see that changing. Those guys that are out of work in the oil fields, are gonna go back to or start working in the housing/construction sector. Thats where a big percentage of them came from after the 09 housing bust.

Horesyht what has gone down at Walmart or air flights etc. all transportation cost are down.
Nothing and when oil goes up so will the price of consumer goods being blamed on oil again.
Why hasn't beef went down by over half not getting anywhere close to four dollars a pound
today.

CB, I haven't seen any real reduction in common consumer goods since the price has been low. I suppose that there has been a slowdown of increase in those prices, but Ive not done that analysis. All Ive seen is the results of what people are saving at the pump, for some folks that may amount to less than $100 /month, for others it several hundred to $1000s per month. That money is still being directed into the economy, so its been good in many other areas. People are not, for the most part, sitting on that money. Its being reinvested in businesses and homes and, yes, consumer goods. Maybe even some of it in beef. The crash in beef prices is mostly about imports, not about fuel. Thank our spineless congress for that one.

Like I said, this is temporary. And it is temporarily helping more people than its harming. We WILL see $3-4 gal gas again. The energy sector will recover, just like it has in the past. The energy sector does provide alot of very good paying jobs to alot of people, some of whom don't bring alot of prior skill and experience with them. That said, like it or not, that is a big part of the reason the US cant compete with OPEC at the current prices....wages are a whole lot higher here. Then you bring govt regs and other compliance issues into the picture....well, this is what you get.

We don't agree and most of you don't have a clue when it comes to the effects of high oil in construction which by the way is what our economy needs to recover. When oil goes up the cost of transportation goes up , goods made from asphalt goes up. If we charged what we should to make a fair profit we wouldn't sell anything so what happens is everybody has to cut margins and profit. It reaches futher than you can comprehend. Every single product sold in USA has freight attached to it. When fuel prices are outrageous it is passed on to consumers so not only do you pay more at pump you pay more for everything else. Prices are coming down on goods and for first time to in years I might get my employees 2% increase. I'm gonna try enjoy this relief in the 3grand I'm saving this year in gas cost.

TennesseeTuxedo":wrthnv7a said:
I figured out why the economy as a whole hasn't benefited from reduced fuel costs.

Obamacare.

The money folks saved on fuel have been diverted to pay higher health insurance premiums.

BINGO Tux!
Highly frustrating.

TennesseeTuxedo":32azxra3 said:
I figured out why the economy as a whole hasn't benefited from reduced fuel costs.

Obamacare.

The money folks saved on fuel have been diverted to pay higher health insurance premiums.

I think you may be on to something.

Sure glad I do not have to buy some of that government insurance. I have Medicare and I do not want any of that Obamacare bs. Need to keep the government out of my healthcare insurance. :p :p :p

Latest posts