Oil leaking from Turbo

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Checked the oil in my 5525 John Deere today and it was low. Got to looking and it seems that there is oil leaking from the bottom side of my turbo. Seems like it may be coming from where the outlet oil hose is but wasn't able to get a wrench on it without taking the hood off. Any ideas on what the problem is? I have never worked on turbos.

The seal is failing because the bearing is probably failing. That being said it's not unusual for some turbo seals to seep some. I'd clean it up, feel the impeller for slop in the bearing and roll with it :)

Kingfisher said:
The seal is failing because the bearing is probably failing. That being said it's not unusual for some turbo seals to seep some. I'd clean it up, feel the impeller for slop in the bearing and roll with it :)

If that's what's wrong with it will it hurt anything if oil gets into the turbo ?

I don't know...that's kind of a tricky question because I'm not real versed on that system. Are you experiencing any of the symptoms this ad suggests?

https://highwayandheavyparts.com/i-17200457-re56386-new-john-deere-turbocharger-1-year-warranty.html

Kingfisher said:
I don't know...that's kind of a tricky question because I'm not real versed on that system. Are you experiencing any of the symptoms this ad suggests?

https://highwayandheavyparts.com/i-17200457-re56386-new-john-deere-turbocharger-1-year-warranty.html

Just the oil consumption

Kingfisher said:

If the seals fail then it will dump oil out of the exhaust pipe or into the compressor housing, not out of the drain pipe.

There is likely just a gasket or o-ring on the drain pipe that needs to be replaced.

Atimm693 has good advice. Also check the bolts they may just be loose.
Oil pressure comes in the top and drains out the bottom. Your turbo is not failing

Atimm693 said:
Kingfisher said:

If the seals fail then it will dump oil out of the exhaust pipe or into the compressor housing, not out of the drain pipe.

There is likely just a gasket or o-ring on the drain pipe that needs to be replaced.

So if it was dumping the oil out the exhaust I guess I would be getting a lot if smoke which Iam not. What would happen if it was dumping it into the compressor housing

if oil goes into the compressor side the engine could easily runaway..no joke..it will fuel the engine til it greneades...but if youre seeing it on the outside..likely the oil return line gasket is bad..or loose...it happens

pricefarm said:
Atimm693 said:
Kingfisher said:

So if it was dumping the oil out the exhaust I guess I would be getting a lot if smoke which Iam not. What would happen if it was dumping it into the compressor housing

Smoke. If oil leaks into the compressor side it will eventually fill up the intercooler (if equipped) and run down the intake and get burned by the engine. As mentioned, it can cause a runaway since a diesel will run quite well on engine oil.

Latest posts