OH what a week!

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
OH what a week!
I'm almost glad it's almost over.

Well folks it looks like I am totally out of retirement AGAIN!

Starting Mon. I will be making the 3rd cutting of hay along with taking care of my baby donkey and mule and my 30 head of Holstein calves:
This week I treated 3 calves for pink eye for one neighbor.
21 calves for pink eye for another neighbor
Had 2 bottle babies given to me.
And scheduled to vaccinate 75 head of dairy cows Sun @ 4.
And scheduled to do a round up on Wed. of next week.
And turned down two job offers.

There's a golden opportunity in my area for anyone who wants to work on a dairy or beef operation.

So if you somehow miss me on the boards it is because I have been called out of retirement again, as cattle are my life and I am admittedly a workaholic.

SL

Glad you're staying busy but find it hard to imagine any dairyman having to hire someone or get outside help to do anything related to herd health.

Did you buy some more land? I thought at one time you said you only had 1/4 acre of land. That's a lot of animals. gs

And here we go again.

7 AM call: Got a bull ( Champ ) who has been limping for 4 - 5 days and I don't think it is getting any better. Do you think you could take a look at him?

10 AM All my animals are taken care of and just as I go to leave to check on champ, down it comes.
It is raining cats and dogs.
Go figure!
I think this week is going to be one of those 14 day weeks!
SL

I truly wish I could say my week was boring. It may have topped yours. My week even involved 4 helicopters buzzing over me.

We picked up 3 1/2 inches of rain on the farm. Life is good! We needed the rain so bad that the event trumps all else at the moment.

backhoeboogie":1rvozz5k said:
I truly wish I could say my week was boring. It may have topped yours. My week even involved 4 helicopters buzzing over me.

We picked up 3 1/2 inches of rain on the farm. Life is good! We needed the rain so bad that the event trumps all else at the moment.

Well, boogie, after reading your thread about the lost girl, I'd say your week trumped Sir Loin's by a long shot. As someone who's been around for awhile, at least I know I can always believe what you write. Can't say the same for the other guy.

VanC":2qzmzhyn said:
backhoeboogie":2qzmzhyn said:

Well, boogie, after reading your thread about the lost girl, I'd say your week trumped Sir Loin's by a long shot. As someone who's been around for awhile, at least I know I can always believe what you write. Can't say the same for the other guy.

:clap: :nod: :tiphat:

Cal

Calman":3aiszdwf said:
VanC":3aiszdwf said:

:clap: :nod: :tiphat:

Cal

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Katherine

VanC":kmokewex said:
backhoeboogie":kmokewex said:

:lol: :clap: :clap:

What part of all this are you people having trouble believing?

Update: The bull Char calf died.
The Angus heifer calf is doing fine.

Champ is being treated on an out patient ( out in the field ) basis for his foot problem with antibiotics and aspirin.
If no improvement is seen in 2 days he will have to come into the office ( head gate ) for further inspection and most likely a round or two of 100 Ccs of penicillin.

Now I'm off to put some hay down.
SL

Sir Loin":2mgmlavm said:
What part of all this are you people having trouble believing?

Update: The bull Char calf died.
The Angus heifer calf is doing fine.

Champ is being treated on an out patient ( out in the field ) basis for his foot problem with antibiotics and aspirin.
If no improvement is seen in 2 days he will have to come into the office ( head gate ) for further inspection and most likely a round or two of 100 Ccs of penicillin.

Now I'm off to put some hay down.
SL
50% Survival rate ain't that good.

11 AM: All haying equipment is greased and read to go, so I am taking an Early lunch due to the fact hay is still a little to wet from all our rain.

TB,
Re:
50% Survival rate ain't that good.
That's true under normal circumstances, but I don't usually get normal baby calves.

This baby was a twin Char bull calf to his sister. Weight: 110 when I got him. Temp: 105

As best I can figure by his navel cord, he was 1-2 days old, had had little or no Colostrum and may have been stepped on as his poop was brown and had signs of blood in it.
Eyes showed signs of dehydration and he was lying flat out, out in the hot sun.

Momma had cleaned him as he was snow white and clean, except for around his navel that had not been cleaned by momma.
Momma had abandoned him.
He would make no attempt to suck and was forced feed and never made an attempt to get up and couldn't even hold his head up on his own.

As you can see the cards were stacked against me, so I wasn't surprised when he assumed ambient temperature over night.
Has he made it the rewards could have been great, so I gave it my best.

His momma is a registered Char and was AI-ed to a registered bull.
Her last years bull calf, at 800 lbs, sold for just under $4,000.
That is why I rolled the dice.

The Angus heifer is also ½ of twins.
She is a runt. At 4-5 days old when momma abandoned her and I got her, weight: 37 lbs. But appears healthy and is eating just fine.
But only time will tell, as I have had some that seem just fine and 2 weeks latter I find them at room temperature.

NEW PRODUCT:
The Co-Op recommended I try this product as a source of aspirin.
I am using it on Champ as a means of treating him in the field for pain and inflammation.
He seems to like it and has no problem eating it mixed with a little feed, unlike some of the other products I have been using.
Has anyone used this product and what do you think of it?

Animed - Aniprin F Cost: $11. And change for 16 oz.

Q. Anyone know of a penicillin that can be administer orally? ( powder form to mixed with feed )

Thanks
SL

Latest posts