oh goody....

Help Support CattleToday:

So many Minnesotans 'forget' how to drive when the first storm of the season hits.
Can only imagine the nightmare it must be down South when everyone is learning or relearning at the same time.
I spent some time at Fort Gordon Georgia back in the late eighties. I think it was sometime in November we got a a little rainstorm and it dipped below freezing that night. They shut the whole base down; coming from Northwest Colorado I thought what is the big deal its just a little ice. I didn't think it was really all that bad, instead we stood around the motorpool instead of doing any training. It was not until after Thanksgiving that I was able to get back to Colorado, I would have gotten out of their before if I had not come down the pneumonia; lost a week because of that, it was not really all that fun to be in the hospital for a week.

Schools were shut down two days last week for six inches of snow. Shut down again yesterday and today due to ice.

I'm not complaining because I'm getting to spend "snow day" with the grandkids. Someone has to teach them how to properly lick a flagpole, and how to condition the sled with Grammys no-stickem skillet spray.

I spent some time at Fort Gordon Georgia back in the late eighties. I think it was sometime in November we got a a little rainstorm and it dipped below freezing that night. They shut the whole base down; coming from Northwest Colorado I thought what is the big deal its just a little ice. I didn't think it was really all that bad, instead we stood around the motorpool instead of doing any training. It was not until after Thanksgiving that I was able to get back to Colorado, I would have gotten out of their before if I had not come down the pneumonia; lost a week because of that, it was not really all that fun to be in the hospital for a week.

About 25 years ago when I was in North Dakota it got to 100° in early September. We were listening to the local radio station at noon and they announced that they were closing the schools because of the heat. Coming from southeast Texas I thought "What's the big deal? It's just 100°."

By the way, this may be difficult for someone who hasn't been in both places in summer to believe, but 100° in North Dakota felt like the low to mid-80's back home. I'd work outside all day and my shirt would still be dry.

About 25 years ago when I was in North Dakota it got to 100° in early September. We were listening to the local radio station at noon and they announced that they were closing the schools because of the heat. Coming from southeast Texas I thought "What's the big deal? It's just 100°."

By the way, this may be difficult for someone who hasn't been in both places in summer to believe, but 100° in North Dakota felt like the low to mid-80's back home. I'd work outside all day and my shirt would still be dry.
That is interesting. I can't ever remember a snow day while in school in Northwest Colorado because of to much snow. The only time the school was closed, well at least the high school was because of a sewer break. I had already walked the ten blocks or so to school to find out there was no school that day. I hung around the school for a couple hours and then walked home. I don't even think it was all that cold that day. Now is seams they look for a reason to close the schools.

The state and county close roads a lot sooner now because more people are on them due to population growth and more people get stuck. If roads get closed while school is in session it gets to be a mess to get kids home. Logistics says it's easier to just cancel school for the day.

D8B7C168-292F-4BF3-896E-7351C77B8C8A.png
Lot of ice on the tree still. I've on the grass is gone. Been hanging around 30 to 32 since Sunday evening. We've stayed mostly above freezing but do have ice accumulating above ground. Ground seems to be saturated for a change so it's getting sloppy.
FB4A2A66-AE67-4D2D-A8CE-3E4E8027DE93.jpeg

What we're seeing here is frozen everything, then a bit of mix, with light rain mixed with frozen rain, (like frozen mist) which thaws the asphalt and concrete out for about 30 minutes, then it all re-freezes. rinse and repeat several times thru each day. It has been continuous 3-7 deg below freezing since monday evening. I may be able to walk down my driveway one minute, 30 minutes later, it's slick as snail snot. It's mostly hilly roads here all over and All city of Cove services were shut down today and many businesses because it was just risky for employees to get in to work. No sand or salt that I know of but I didn't go out on the roads either.
This morning:

Copperas Cove Police Department

1d ·
There is a lot of black ice throughout the city this morning. If you must travel, please slow down! The following streets have been closed due to the ice...
Late Monday evening
January 30, 2023: The bridges are already iced over. Several collisions have already occurred. While assisting a motorist who had a collision, our Ladder 1 and a Copperas Cove Police vehicle were struck. This occurred on Hwy 9 as it meets Business 190 on the east side of town.
NO first responders were injured. Unfortunately, a couple of persons were taken to the hospital to be evaluated due to the incident.
hiway9.jpg
If you do not have to travel, please consider staying home. Remember, this is Texas, and shorts weather will return before you know it.

zoomyzoom.jpg

I was an older kid, when an older girl invited me to the movie. She was the daughter of a man I worked odd jobs for; pickin eggs year round, bucking bales in the summer and wrangling firewood all winter. He was also the one who introduced me to deer camp, Obie's Cafe, and Gentleman Jack.

She was two years older, so daddy let her take the car. It was a '75 Monte Carlo, and it had a vacuum gauge to show how far your foot was buried in it. Kinda cool to watch. Pretty sure if you timed it and held your tongue just right, you could sync the movements of the fuel and vacuum gauge pointers.

Our last movie together was to see that Gremlin show, and it was cool, right up until the point when all the mommas started hauling their snowflakes outta the drive-in. I'll never forget that scene; little kids crying and mothers complaining. Apparently it was a bit different, and scary, than expected.

After the mass exodus, there were just a few of us left wondering what had happened. The movie host changed it to "Every Which way but Loose", which seemed ancient at the time.

Good memories. Good Lord, was that 40 years ago?

There's 1-3" of solid ice covering everything this morning. Doors and windows are frozen closed it's warming up and should be over in a few.
The heavy thunderstorm and lightning show last night was a sight to see. The lightning reflection through and off the ice was like nothing I've ever seen.

IMG_20230202_093712.jpgIMG_20230202_093451.jpgIMG_20230202_093605.jpgIMG_20230202_093548.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230202_093655.jpg
    IMG_20230202_093655.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Fence did you lose rower? Ice and hail are the 2 things that are almost impossible to plan for.

Be very careful when you are out and walking. Falling and breaking bones happens quicker than you can react. Stay safe and I hope it thaws quickly.

Fence did you lose rower? Ice and hail are the 2 things that are almost impossible to plan for.

Be very careful when you are out and walking. Falling and breaking bones happens quicker than you can react. Stay safe and I hope it thaws quickly.
We didn't lose power. It's appears we are among the few locally that didn't. I know the entire town of Florence is down. We are at the end of a line that got the limbs cleaned up last year. I had the power company on my place for a couple of days and I didn't give them any grief for cutting trees. Reaping the benefits now.
Thanks for the heads up. You can definitely bust your azz out there.

We had a huge ice event in the early 70's that left my area without power for 10 day's. There were no lines or poles standing for miles.

There were big changes to the state utility regulations on line maintenance. Tree trimming within the right of way was required and it made a huge difference.

Stay safe and good luck!

No lightning or thunder here and not much rain last night. Just light frozen drizzle about like a heavy mist. Fenceman looks to have gotten more ice than we did. It has been solid ice here, but not that thick. Had a few flakes of snow this morning that has now turned to rain. The icicles are pouring water off now.

DSC00286.JPG

DSC00290.JPG

Was comical yesterday, as the neighbors came down the hill and parked the white Rubicon, got out and went in. A little while later, I heard them yelling and they went running down to rescue it. Forgot to turn the wheels to the curb and it just slid down the sheet of ice, tires not rolling toward another parked car farther down the hill.
Very nice folks but they have 4 vehicles and a garage so full of 'stuff' that they couldn't get a go cart in there.
DSC00296.JPG

No lightning or thunder here and not much rain last night. Just light frozen drizzle about like a heavy mist. Fenceman looks to have gotten more ice than we did. It has been solid ice here, but not that thick. Had a few flakes of snow this morning that has now turned to rain. The icicles are pouring water off now.

View attachment 25776

View attachment 25777
Hmm…I remember hearing thunder last night. So old wives tale says frost in April. But I doubt it was possible for the groundhog to see a shadow this morning.

And wasn't this stuff supposed to be gone like yesterday afternoon per Sundays forecast? Maybe the cow that calved last night knows something.