Votes: 0 0.0%
  • two off the farm incomes

• farm income only

• Total voters

J&T Farm

Reaction score
My wife and I both work here on the farm. Although I thought from time to time I would have to get a town job to make ends meet but we have made it so far. I do shoe a few horses on the side and that helps to have a little pocket money.

J&T Farm":8or5loha said:
My wife and I both work here on the farm. Although I thought from time to time I would have to get a town job to make ends meet but we have made it so far. I do shoe a few horses on the side and that helps to have a little pocket money.
I only know a very few that are making their living solely on the farm.I know we could not make it without outside income. Those days are over.The ones I do know of are large operations, that have been in families for many years.

Crowderfarms":1bst3orf said:
J&T Farm":1bst3orf said:
I only know a very few that are making their living solely on the farm.I know we could not make it without outside income. Those days are over.The ones I do know of are large operations, that have been in families for many years.

I agree with Crowder on this one. Between equipment, cattle, fence materials, gates, barns, general repairs, and storm damage repairs, I have to work another job.

Even when I was a Kid, My Uncles that Farmed, always had their wife working to bring in some income to keep the lights burning.Things would ease up when the Tobacco was sold, and a load of Calves hit the sale Barn. The last one's in this Family to rely strictly on Farm Income were my Grandparents. They Milked, Had Beef Cattle, Hogs, Tobacco, grew Corn, and Canned enough food to last about 2 years.That was another time, in another world. :(

With the cost of medial these days, it seems that a lot of familys have one person that works another job primarily to get the health insurance coverage. Granted there are health insurance programs available from other sources that are slotted towards the farm family but it's pricey and most of them taht I'm familiar with your restricted to the doc that you can see.

dun

Crowderfarms":39qh3qkb said:
Dun, That's an HMO
H =High
M=Mortality
O=Organization
Usually run by Dr. Habib Muhammed Patel

I knew it wa letters, just didn't remember which ones.
I remembered the deal about scurs and that's about my quota of remembering for the rest of this year.

dun

J&T Farm":514aw4o9 said:
It has been tough but we have 3 chicken houses besides the cattle but we also have no medical insurance yet either.
And NOT having it could ruin you in a Heartbeat...no pun intended. I undersatnd, it's too much money, but on the other hand, you cant afford to be without it.I guess all you can do is Pray for good health.

Crowderfarms":341h2sfw said:
J&T Farm":341h2sfw said:
It has been tough but we have 3 chicken houses besides the cattle but we also have no medical insurance yet either.
And NOT having it could ruin you in a Heartbeat...no pun intended. I undersatnd, it's too much money, but on the other hand, you cant afford to be without it.I guess all you can do is Pray for good health.

A number of years back one of my brothers decided to save a few bucks and cancel his health insurance. He was only in his 50s but didn;t want to pay the money. He had a severe almost debilitating back ache for a year then got pneumonia ands finally went to emergency. He had edvanced spianl cancer that had spread to every organ in his body, he dies a month or so later. When I talked to an oncologist friend of mine he really got mad about him having died from the form of cancer that is the easiest to cure with simple chemo. That's an extreme case, but a simple need for stiches in your kids head will set you back a pretty penny if you don;t have insurance.

dun

Yep, the last family on my side to make a living from cattle was my grandpa. He ran a dairy all his working life. He ran a dairy before the fence laws came into effect also. He used to complain about the shine runners hitting his cows. He used to have to call the butcher to come out to some obscure road to hang one from a tree and butcher it after getting hit by runners. He lived on the low side of poor until he retired and sold all his property which about half had been incorporated into the city. He made a killing of off it and his 4th or 5th wife took it and ran when he passed.

The Spouse farms full time. We raise tobacco, hay, and cattle. I teach.

He will flat out tell you that since I teach, he can farm. ;-)

I agree with the insurance deal. Right now we can even afford to have kids born much less fix stiches in their head. lol . But it would be tough for either one of us to have a job with the chicken houses. There a full time job by thereself not counting the rest of the farm.
I always said if I won the lottery I would farm till the money runs out.

My great grandfather was the last to live off the farm only. When he died it got split between 6 kids. My mother still has her dads place where we keep the cows 360 acres. Mom cash rents the most of it and we keep some for hay and pasture. Mom works and I have my own automotive repair shop in town that takes up a lot of time because I am the only one running it. My wife also works and provides the health coverage on us.If I could find something else to do like work with cattle all day I would do it.I just dont have enough cows :) :) .JHH

Seems the common thread here is health insurance. Last time I checked my company said if I retire my insurance will run $800-$900/month to pick it up..... :mad:

i guess you can say im a fulltime cattleman. dairied for 28yrs.an now just run beef cattle fulltime.never worked off the farm an dont intend to.scott

bigbull338":1epfglaz said:
i guess you can say im a fulltime cattleman. dairied for 28yrs.an now just run beef cattle fulltime.never worked off the farm an dont intend to.scott

We'd like to do that, but haveta pay those property taxes. Neighbor's 4.25 acres and house are selling for 1.3 MILLION. Not even a barn on it.
Although maybe when we retire we can buy a bunch of land in the sticks. I feel very lucky to only have to work 20 hours a week, hubby works 40 for the school district.

Susie

A friend recently told me that a good way to turn a large fortune into a small fortune is to raise cattle. Since I don't have either and raise cattle I have to keep a job in town during the week and do side jobs on weekends.

We're both 40+ hours away from the house in addition to the hours spent working with the cattle. Would prefer to spend more time with the cattle.

I'm a 40 hour a week worker and my wife is just about finished with college. She'll be a teacher so when she graduates I'll be set to become a full time cow man!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Right? :shock:

Latest posts