how many of yall have off the farm jobs

• one off the farm income

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • two off the farm incomes

• farm income only

• Total voters
Susie is a full time nurse and I say that I'm semi-retired but she is hinting towards me getting a part time job. Seems like every time that we have this discussion we just sell a few cows and the money in the bank gives her a warm fuzzy feeling for another couple of months.
Twice a week I do my long range retirement planning and buy a lottery ticket....one of these days 8) .
Dave Mc

Most of the people around my area:

1. Full Time Dairy - Then "Retire" into Beef as they age.
2. Part Time Dairy - I've noticed Veternains and Mailmen a popular 2nd job trend :)

I'm only a teenager so I can't vote. Though my job is on a farm, and once I turn 15 in April I will be getting certified as a lifegaurd for another job. :lol:

It's so funny to read all these responses. I have a very good friend that has been in the cattle business for 40+ years - working for other people with their cattle & he raises his own also. We were talking about my son the other day & about how the teachers don't understand how important what he learns on the farm is & that those life skills will probably take him farther some day than most of the academics that he learns. My friend says "please make sure your son doesn't go into the cattle business when he grows up". What my friend doesn't realize is that he might have a lot of our dream jobs. He works with cattle all day & still makes enough money to have his own cattle at home. Some of us are stuck behind a desk - what I would give to be able to afford to work with cattle all day - most of them have better attitudes than people anyway!! It's funny though, how the grass is always greener on the other side.

This is just a hobby for me and my wife. Enjoy being around the animals after work. Buy some hayage bales from a rancher that runs around 200 pairs and has a short logger running seven days a week. Think he's around 65. Don't know where his energy comes from.

Think I'll stick with what I got.... ;-)

i dont have an off the farm job right now but i keep my eyes open for one. it seems like the sensible thing to do to have backup if you can make the time...

still looking for a good woman to bring home the bacon. i'll cook it.

I work as a maintenance man at a manufacturing plant as my full time job. I havn't had a off day since labor day. The cattle still have to be tended to and the pastures taken care of. We had several big orders come in after the hurricanes and production is even working saturdays to fill the orders. A lot of people complain, I always tell them how fortunate we are to even have a job.

I teach Agriscience and my wife is a first grade teacher. I do all the farming on this place. We run cows and raise registered hunting type Rat Terrier dogs. I'd do away with the teaching job if I could, but I gotta have it. Teaching ain't no fun anymore. Just 6 years until I can retire, then I'll see what the Lord has in store!

Latest posts