off feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Onthebit

Reaction score
Im feeding 2 steers grain......pretty heavy....they get free choise hay...they are in separate stalls since one has horns and likes to 'boss' , now today the unhorned one went off his grain........completely...didn't smell it, lick it or otherwise look for anything like it! he is eating hay has no temp etc! NOW WHAT? I know that in a racehorse there is a fine line between feeding enough and too much and they will go 'off' it but this is a steer! is it the same? could i have reached the balance and pushed him over? the other one is eating like crazy!

Onthebit":b16b2alc said:
Im feeding 2 steers grain......pretty heavy....they get free choise hay...they are in separate stalls since one has horns and likes to 'boss' , now today the unhorned one went off his grain........completely...didn't smell it, lick it or otherwise look for anything like it! he is eating hay has no temp etc! NOW WHAT? I know that in a racehorse there is a fine line between feeding enough and too much and they will go 'off' it but this is a steer! is it the same? could i have reached the balance and pushed him over? the other one is eating like crazy!

How much are you feeding him, percentage of body weight, and how much corn is in the ration?
Yes they can go off feed from too much grain or if it's hot, too much corn in the ration.

I dont know.................4-5Xalarge folgers can.......I upped it this morn and one is eating..............other is not....no caugh, no scours, no bloat, nothing........just wont eat...............'cept hay!

Without actual measurements, i.e. weights, there is no way to really know if you are feeding too much, too little, or adequate. Just as in everything, not all steers are the same in their tolerence/ability to deal with a given quantity of grain.

he is back eating today......lol the rations weighs less than chopped corn! i don't have a scale......i would say: 2.5lbs per can? someone help me out...it is the same texture and weight as horse sweet feed!

Onthebit":2rl2kewf said:
I dont know.................4-5Xalarge folgers can.......I upped it this morn and one is eating..............other is not....no caugh, no scours, no bloat, nothing........just wont eat...............'cept hay!
4 gallons a day!
Unacceptable answers.  Nothing in this information tells us anyting other than your animal won't eat grain, just hay.  For anyone that hasn't seen your setup, they need to know the weight of your steer, age might help to give a better idea if the weight of the steer is where it should be for its age.  Type of grain you are feeding might be nice to know.  Most will assume corn, but not all grain is corn.  Is it ground, rolled, cracked, or whole?  Getting the weight of a Xlarge folgers can of grain is as simple as putting it on a bathroom scale or counting how many cans can you dip out of a 50# bag of grain.  A "pretty heavy" steer is revelant only to the one making the statement.  To you it may mean 300 lbs., to me it might mean 600 lbs.  A 5 month old weighing 300 lbs would be light and one weighting 600 might be considered heavy depending on its breed makeup, another bit of information witheld.  So it is impossible to form an opinion or attempt to give advice on the limited amount of information given.
he is back eating today......lol the rations weighs less than chopped corn! i don't have a scale......i would say: 2.5lbs per can? someone help me out...it is the same texture and weight as horse sweet feed!
This is a good example of miss matched weight.  You are assuming 4 gallons of feed wights 10 lbs.  My assumption would be closer to 20 lbs.  So if you are feeding by 2% body weight of your steer he should weigh around 500 lbs.  But if the feed weight is 20 lbs., your steer should probably weigh closer to 1000 lbs.   Now maybe you can understand why weights and measures are important information to know. 

My guess, and it is a guess, is you are feeding him more than he wants to eat.

I think what I should have asked is: Can you push a steer over his limit and put him off grain like u can a racehorse?

Went back and re-read your original post. I now can see the difference in your question and what I read into it. Sorry, I don't have enough experience in feedloting steers to answer your question. :oops:

Onthebit":15sr7y2r said:
I think what I should have asked is: Can you push a steer over his limit and put him off grain like u can a racehorse?

YES

thanks!I didn't realize they could have a limit.......thought that would be bloat!he is healthy and back eating so thanks y'all who gave a flying fk!

Onthebit":3uq9qsui said:
thanks!I didn't realize they could have a limit.......thought that would be bloat!he is healthy and back eating so thanks y'all who gave a flying fk!

huh :?: :?: :?:

TNMasterBeefProducer":f8l6e0fs said:
She said thanks to yall who gave a flying fck read between the lines.
Oh I understood what she wrote....just didn't quite understand the "why" of the remark.

Go to Wal Mart or a sporting goods store and buy a hanging fish scale. They are not expensive.
Hang it in your feed room, then hang your bucket on it and zero it. Then put your feed in it and see how much you are feeding.

Feeding by volume is poor management and will cost you money by feeding more than necessary or underfeeding.

You didn't say if you were feeding once or twice daily. It is best to divide the feed into two feedings (morning and evening) with free choice quality hay available or turn out on good grass. That way you will reduce your chance of bloat. Be sure to have loose minerals available for the steers in a separate feeder and plenty of fresh water.

If the steer doesn't finish his feed, reduce the amount fed until he cleans it up. Some times a steer will go off feed. You can give him some probios to help him keep his gut working.

Steers finish out from front to back. Good luck.

Latest posts