Odd runny nose.

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Ok, heres an odd one for ya.

Have a 8 week old holstien hiefer calf, about to try and wean this week or next. ( she should be worth some bucks about now)
Odd though, her nose constantlyruns, profusely, but only from one nostril, the other side is dry as can be. It runs as clear, to whitish mucus.

Ok, she has no temp, no repiratory issues, and it has never run green or even yellow, ( a sign of infection) she does ok, seems to be a little bit behind the eightball so to speak as far as growth, but not poorly.

Just to be on the safe side of it all, I put her through two regiments of NuFlor treatment, and also keep the medicated calf starter with her, as well as adding aeromycin crumbles.
Now, I have pretty much rulled out all of the above, would my guess be correct that she likely has something in that nostril causing this condition? Have seen it in a adult cow before, but never a calf so young.
Have looked up in there, cannot see anything suspicous.

Anyone wanna take a shot at it? :cboy:

Are you dusty and dry? I have calves coughing and the works and they are growing great. All vacd. I would say allergies or dusty.

Scotty

I'm inclined to something(short pc of straw?)is stuck up there.
does she lick it alot?

yeah it sounds like shes been picking her nose and got something stuck or either she inhales.

Is her name Sneezy or Drippy
Sorry Medic a little punchy tonight.
We have had real dry weather and lot of dust and get on and off runny noses but usually from both nostrils. One heifer only coughs three times when she flips her feed to get the candy...go figure. Dave Mc

suspect it could be a piece of feed stuck up there, as they are rather new to the grain thing...assuming it will work it's way out by itself, BUT, I will ask the boss to bring home a portable suction set this weekend to help.......sluuuuuurp! :cboy:

Yup, but remember, it's them that also brings home the flu with them as well! :(

I don't doubt half of the illnesses this household gets gets brought home from work, remember only takes a few germs to get ya going. :cboy:

Latest posts