Runny poop in calves.

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
This year has been a tough one for us regarding bacterial scours. There are 4 calves who got scours at a young age. They were lethargic and weak. The vet treated them, and tested the stool and it came back that it was not viral but bacterial. After treating those four calves they seemed to improve. They were treated with sulfa pills and Baytrill as well as Banamine. That was 2 weeks ago. Now these 4 still have very runny poop, they are nipping in the feed trough with their moms, so i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. 3 of the 4 are having pretty good growth rates and all are energetic running around, bouncing, and nursing. They just have very runny stool. It is a light brown color. Is this something that I should treat for again or is this something that happens. They are all about 6 weeks old now.

Essentially agree with RBB. Some thoughts: Antibiotics will play havoc with the intestinal track. I'd give them a dose of probiotics. And if possible, move the pairs to another location. Lastly, are the calves out of 1st calf heifers?

76 Bar said:
Essentially agree with RBB. Some thoughts: Antibiotics will play havoc with the intestinal track. I'd give them a dose of probiotics. And if possible, move the pairs to another location. Lastly, are the calves out of 1st calf heifers?

3 of the 4 are. yes.

76 Bar said:

What probiotics do you recommend?

If you haven't done it, take a stool sample to your vet. You'll find out real quick and cheap how to treat them.

cowgirl8 said:
If you haven't done it, take a stool sample to your vet. You'll find out real quick and cheap how to treat them.

We have taken a stool sample to the vet who sent it to Cornell University and they tested for many things. Including that. Thanks.

Obviously you're working in concert with your vet and dedicated to resolving the diarrhea issue. :tiphat:
Not surprised 3 of the 4 are out of 1st calf heifers e.g. in the best of circumstances their colostrum quality & quantity isn't on par with a cow. Subsequently when health challenged their calves are the first to fall prey to environmental, mgt and herd health issues.
There are lots of probiotic products on the market. I keep the small tubes of the Probios product on hand for calves. It comes in much larger doses. In a pinch I've used a generous dose of plain full fat yogurt. Draw it off in a 20 cc wide tipped catheter style syringe. Squirt it down the hatch in slow increments. Be prepared to wear some yoghurt. :)
Please keep us posted about the progress of your calves and especially, the results from Cornell.

Latest posts