Posting for a friend: Nose bleed in a cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Poor cow. I've never seen anything like that before but I did a search and found this:

What Causes Nosebleeds In Cows? Epistaxis is an uncommon condition in cattle like in other animals cause by bleeding disorders such as thrombocytopenia, liver disease, coagulopathies and with the use of anticoagulant. Hence it is a rare condition in cattle, making the diagnosis of the cause is difficult.

From just the one nostril narrows it down a bit to something local like foreign body, tumour, injury. How old is she Nesi? Any rat baits around? An xray or scoping it may be usefull but without that you are just guessing but even looking down the nostril with a bright pen light might see something or even one of those fibre optic video cameras for looking inside an engine might help, I'm sure an inquisitive mechanical man like you has one Nesi.

Ken

From just the one nostril narrows it down a bit to something local like foreign body, tumour, injury. How old is she Nesi? Any rat baits around? An xray or scoping it may be usefull but without that you are just guessing but even looking down the nostril with a bright pen light might see something or even one of those fibre optic video cameras for looking inside an engine might help, I'm sure an inquisitive mechanical man like you has one Nesi.

Ken
He's a long way from where I am, but you're right, I do have an endoscope!
I'll pass that info along

I had a bull with a nose bleed one hard winter when the temps stayed below zero for a while. Vet came out and wasnt to concerned. He told me it happens more in horses where the temps dry our the sinuses and they crack. It looks like murder in the snow and on the white Charolais cows.

A neighbor of mine that milks cows had one that got a nosebleed about 2 years ago. Called the vet and they said there was nothing they could do for it. It was 2 days before it finally quit. She looked miserable but came out of it ok.

12 hours? wow. I have only seen bloody noses when something wild jumps into a post or rail, and the bloody nose is not usually the main concern. usually they are fine. had a goofy steer calf crash into a sucker rod rail and break his mandible. that was a bummer.

Latest posts