Odd fertility question

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
Is there any link between high strung heifers and fertility? I'm starting to notice a pattern but not sure of its accurate or coincidence. Different family lines altogether so it's not a genetic thing

I have no documented evidence Hook but I suspect there may be from my observations. I take it that you mean lower fertility?
High strung are usually a bit leggy and slightly lower body condition score. They may not allow the bull to mount them but most importantly the adrenalin levels with high strung must have a negative feedback to the pituitary gland and associated reproductive hormones.
Ken

I have 2 that were high strung here and both bred early 1 calved at 20 months the other not sure bought her at a sale but she was young and was already bred the one that calved at 20 months is one of my best cows breeds right back and raises great calves

The only cow in a small Alabama town stopped giving milk. The people did some research and found that they could buy a cow from Kentucky for $200.
They brought the cow from Kentucky and the cow was wonderful. It produced lots of milk all of the time, and the people were very happy. They decided to acquire a bull to mate with the cow to produce more cows like it. They would never have to worry about their milk supply again.
They bought the bull and put it in the pasture with their beloved cow. However, whenever the bull tried to mount the cow, the cow would move away. No matter what approach the bull tried, the cow would move away from the bull and he could not succeed in his quest. The people were very upset and decided to ask the Vet, who was very wise, what to do.
They told the Vet what was happening. "Whenever the bull tries to mount our cow, she moves away. If he approaches from the back, she moves forward. When he approaches her from the front, she backs off. An attempt from the side, she walks away to the other side."
The Vet thought about this for a minute and asked,
"Did you by chance, buy this cow in Kentucky?"
The people were dumbfounded, since no one had ever mentioned where they bought the cow. "You are truly a wise Vet," they said. "How did you know we got the cow in Kentucky?"
The Vet replied with a distant look in his eye, "My wife is from Kentucky."

Lucky_P":27mmnjip said:
The only cow in a small Alabama town stopped giving milk. The people did some research and found that they could buy a cow from Kentucky for $200.
They brought the cow from Kentucky and the cow was wonderful. It produced lots of milk all of the time, and the people were very happy. They decided to acquire a bull to mate with the cow to produce more cows like it. They would never have to worry about their milk supply again.
They bought the bull and put it in the pasture with their beloved cow. However, whenever the bull tried to mount the cow, the cow would move away. No matter what approach the bull tried, the cow would move away from the bull and he could not succeed in his quest. The people were very upset and decided to ask the Vet, who was very wise, what to do.
They told the Vet what was happening. "Whenever the bull tries to mount our cow, she moves away. If he approaches from the back, she moves forward. When he approaches her from the front, she backs off. An attempt from the side, she walks away to the other side."
The people were dumbfounded, since no one had ever mentioned where they bought the cow. "You are truly a wise Vet," they said. "How did you know we got the cow in Kentucky?"
:lol:
That is out of character for the always business-like Lucky_P. Good one. Maybe one of the best!

Lucky_P":16cohlox said:

Hmmmmm .... so is mine. :)

LOL! Well done Lucky!!!

Yes, disposition CAN have an effect but it's likely not the culprit unless she's just batshyt crazy all the time. Adrenaline binds to the same receptor as lutenizing hormone so any stress that is enough to cause her to panic around that point in her cycle is enough to cause her to miss. You can really put them under a lot of stress when they're in heat and have great conception but that period about three-five days before they come in is when stress matters.

cow pollinater":3nqcmm3d said:
Yes, disposition CAN have an effect but it's likely not the culprit unless she's just batshyt crazy all the time. Adrenaline binds to the same receptor as lutenizing hormone so any stress that is enough to cause her to panic around that point in her cycle is enough to cause her to miss. You can really put them under a lot of stress when they're in heat and have great conception but that period about three-five days before they come in is when stress matters.
The 3 I have in mind are not what I would call tamed down. Manageable though but the kind that you are looking for an excuse to ship out. I've moved out the 3 over the last 2 years for not breeding and the one thing they have in common is being high headed and flighty. But good enough heifers fore to want to breed.

If y'all only knew...

But, I'll bet if you asked anyone who really knows me, they'd tell you that I'm a LOT of FUN!

Lucky_P":2cqa4lnn said:
If y'all only knew...

But, I'll bet if you asked anyone who really knows me, they'd tell you that I'm a LOT of FUN!

Lucky, I put your joke on my Facebook. A very wonderful girl who grew up about half a mile from me, thought the use of the term "mount" was a little much for her. I replied that it was just in her head. I knew a guy who told me he could never satisfy a women because of his limitations but they continued to indulge him because he had the cutest way of MOUNTING.