Bull age for fertility

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
What's the youngest a bull calf can breed (even "accidental")? Going to be AI'ing a heifer and two cows, bull calves will be 5 mo, not yet weaned. Don't want an oops.

Had a vet tell me: If you want them to breed 14 months, if you don't 500lbs.
My best friend A.I.'s on natural heat, he used to use 3-4 month old bull calves as heat detectors until he ended up with a handful of hfrs that calved at 16mos old.

Had a vet tell me: If you want them to breed 14 months, if you don't 500lbs.
My best friend A.I.'s on natural heat, he used to use 3-4 month old bull calves as heat detectors until he ended up with a handful of hfrs that calved at 16mos old.
Yes. And I'll add to that: Had a stag named One Nut that was part of a small group of late calves. Vet came out & castrated (subsequently changing his name to No Nut), but not before he bred one of the heifers.

What's the youngest a bull calf can breed (even "accidental")? Going to be AI'ing a heifer and two cows, bull calves will be 5 mo, not yet weaned. Don't want an oops.
I'd wean them or cut them or both. I had a place rented, about a 10 acre bermuda hay field and 3 acres of woods with a spring in it. Had a pol\e barn I could store hay in. About 30 miles form the house. One October, after rodeo season was over, I put about 25 roped-out Corriente steers and heifers there. Come January or February, I sent the steers to a contractor to use for steer wrestling, and took the heifers to my pasture where I kept all of the Corriente brood cows, to breed. Young dude who lived in a house beside this place, that helped put up the hay every time we baled, asked me about putting his 2 Jeresy bottle claves he had bought in May, in the pasture for the winter. I told him if he'd check on the cows and put out hay when they needed it, that he could do that. Save me form going over there every other day or so. These calves would have been about 5 months old in October. I never thought to ask, I guess i just assumed these were Jeresy steers he had bottle raised. Or maybe heifers. I had seen them in his yard that summer when we would cut hay, but just from a distance. So, I go to move my cattle in January, and took the heifers to the cow pasture to be bred for Oct-Nov calves. Well, most of the heifers started dropping dammed half Jeresy calves July and August! Not a cross that there is a good market for!

Latest posts