Odd 600 weight problem

Help Support CattleToday:

DiamondSCattleCo

Reaction score
Had an odd one today. Last night, all my calves were fine. This morning I had a 600 weight calf bloated like crazy. Hay isn't hot feed at all (1st cut alfalfa with some quack grass). I tossed some BloatEze into her, then pierced her when that wasn't taking effect (couldn't get her up). I let the gas out, and she didn't move a muscle which was odd I thought, usually after a piercing they kick and bellar like crazy. She was shaking alot though.

Anyway, she's been down for a few hours now. I've put some electrolytes into her, and I've got her covered with straw to try and warm her up. So did I just not catch the bloat in time? Or is there something else that made her bloat thats causing to her to stay down?

Rod

Twist is the only other thing I can think of. After I pierced her and the BloatEz started to work, she loosened up. Unless she managed to get into some plastic twine that may have been kicking around. I've heard about that crap getting wrapped around the intestines, but never lost an animal to it.

Rod

Bloat-EZ only works on frothy types of bloat, which are mostly caused by dietary issues such as grazing some types clovers or other types of legumes or lush grass. Piercing is used for free gas bloat, usually caused by some type of obstruction or failure to eructate or burp. Sounds like free gas bloat. I'd guess that if she got well its not likely a twist or piece of twine. What type of ration is she on?

Forgot to mention that. She didn't get better, and she died sometime in the night. When she loosened up, there wasn't much come out. So I'm back to a twist or twine.

DiamondSCattleCo":6bqaxkel said:
Forgot to mention that. She didn't get better, and she died sometime in the night. When she loosened up, there wasn't much come out. So I'm back to a twist or twine.

Sorry to hear about your cow :(

Do you regularly "police" your pastures and lots and pick up any foreign matter (hardware, plastic, paper, twine, wire, etc.) that an animal could ingest? As you know cattle will ingest about anything...

I police as often as I can, but I still miss things. My grandfather was bad for tossing things, versus putting them away or in the garbage, so I'll likely be finding stuff until the end of my days :) The worst was some barb wire that a cow drug up from somewhere. She tied herself in a tree with it, and was on the fight while I was trying to snip it out.

As far as the rest goes, I'm still having trouble with that 12 hour scours/pneumonia (or whatever the devil it is). Found another downer first thing this morning. It didn't go down in the staw pile, so she was cold and stiff this morning. She's in the shelter, covered with horse blankets so I hope this one makes it. A couple ounces of whiskey, a couple shots of electrolytes, and the heater. I think she'll be up by morning, but I suspect she's lost her ears (-30 up here last night).

<chuckle> Of course, when they weren't worth anything, I didn't lose an animal. Now that the prices are coming up, they decide to make up for 2 years of no losses :)

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":34u62lon said:
I police as often as I can, but I still miss things. My grandfather was bad for tossing things, versus putting them away or in the garbage, so I'll likely be finding stuff until the end of my days :) The worst was some barb wire that a cow drug up from somewhere. She tied herself in a tree with it, and was on the fight while I was trying to snip it out.

As far as the rest goes, I'm still having trouble with that 12 hour scours/pneumonia (or whatever the devil it is). Found another downer first thing this morning. It didn't go down in the staw pile, so she was cold and stiff this morning. She's in the shelter, covered with horse blankets so I hope this one makes it. A couple ounces of whiskey, a couple shots of electrolytes, and the heater. I think she'll be up by morning, but I suspect she's lost her ears (-30 up here last night).

<chuckle> Of course, when they weren't worth anything, I didn't lose an animal. Now that the prices are coming up, they decide to make up for 2 years of no losses :)

Rod

Time to maybe consider some medicated feed perhaps.Is there a lot of coughing going on.

Yeah, I'm going to put a call into the vet in Tisdale first thing Monday AM. I'm not sure if medicated feed will do it, as NuFlor is the only thing thats helping, but it would be nice to at least know what I'm up against.

There are no outward signs of any sort of infection at all, right up until they start to scour. No coughing, no runny nose, no heavy breathing. The critters don't even appear to be listless.

Rod

Latest posts