Ocular IBR

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
Anyone ever had something come down with it? I've been medicating with draxxin and eye salve. Animal seems some better but still can't see good. I'm hoping site comes back.

We've had an occasional isolated case over the years. The vet gave a shot directly under the skin of the eyeball and it cleared up within 24 hours.

dun":1zd4ljr4 said:
We've had an occasional isolated case over the years. The vet gave a shot directly under the skin of the eyeball and it cleared up within 24 hours.

What did your vet give in the eye?

IBR is a herpes virus. If that is actually what the calf has (as opposed to trauma, pinkeye, etc), antibiotics won't do a thing for him. Anti-inflammatory, possible antibiotic eye ointment (call your vet) to treat the secondary bacterial infection, and wait it out.

Calhoun Farm":324nkifg said:
dun":324nkifg said:

What did your vet give in the eye?
Don't recall and it was so many years ago I wouldn;'t even know what year to start looking

IBR is a viral disease caused by a herpes virus. It is mostly associated with shipping fever. Although the eyes may be affected, there are usually respiratory signs as well. This disease cannot be cured via antibiotherapy, but can be prevented by vaccination (vaccines vs shipping fever will state against which bugs they are effective).

If conjunctivitis (aka as pink eye) is the only sign you see on your animal, it is probably of bacterial origin. This is usually transmitted by flies (especially at this time of the year). A penicillin based or tetracycline based antibiotic should be effective (but do not combine both together). You can also try mastitis antibiotic tubes (the ones that you squirt into the teats). Squirt a strip across the eye and gently massage the eye lid, twice a day for 3 days. If there is no improvement, call your vet.

Draxxin should work but is a very expensive drug to use as first choice.

The ROT is if the white dot is centered it's pinkeye if it's off from the center it's IBR. I don;t know why the shot under the skin of the eyball works, maybe all it does is cause the white dot to go away. I can only speak from what worked for us the few times we had a problem with it.

dun":18jhade1 said:
The ROT is if the white dot is centered it's pinkeye if it's off from the center it's IBR. I don;t know why the shot under the skin of the eyball works, maybe all it does is cause the white dot to go away. I can only speak from what worked for us the few times we had a problem with it.
Good chance it may have been a depot cortico steroid he used under the eye Dun to reduce the inflammation. It can be very effective.
Ken

Mine doesn't have pinkeye because the white dot is off center as dun said. He has IBR I'm sure of that because it started with a fever and very red raw nose.