pinkeye-IBR question

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
For IBR you give an injection just under the membrain of the eye and it's cleared up within 12-24 hours. Why wouldn;t doing the same thing for pinkeye clear it up just as fast?

Depends what you're injecting... IBR is a virus, pinkeye is a bacteria. If you're injecting antibiotic and IBR clears up, it's just luck. As I'm sure you know, antibiotics do not have an effect on viruses. Pinkeye may take longer to clear up as the antibiotic has to kill/slow bacterial growth, and then it takes time for the tissues to heal. May take several days for healing to occur so that symptoms are gone.

When IBR "clears up" it doesn't mean the virus is gone (IBR is a herpes virus; once an animal has it they always have it), just means the symptoms are gone. The initial case of IBR will likely take longer to disappear than subsequent cases, and flare-ups will be more likely to occur when the animal gets stressed.

I treated 4 head with antibotic injection and injectable wormer and antibotic dust on the eye and a dark loafing shed. I have heard about injecting under the eye but I do not have a head table and have never gone there.
Five days later one is clear, two have a spot on the eye but no tears, and one still has a runny eye. I retreated the runny one.
So we can assume it was pinkeye - -not IBR ?
Is 25% retreat rate common ?

dun":3l1f3b4e said:
For IBR you give an injection just under the membrain of the eye and it's cleared up within 12-24 hours. Why wouldn;t doing the same thing for pinkeye clear it up just as fast?

Doesn't work as fast but it works in the same fashion.

The injection in the "eye lid" will work ONLY if you are treating pinkeye and even then it's not 100%. Giving that injection takes talent and practice, as you are giving it Intradermally (between the layers of the skin) usually witha 20 x 1/2" needle. You want to be SURE you have an excellent chute with head table on neck sweep to hold them still. There is a new product on the market called Vetericyn Pink Eye Spray. Finally a product that is actually LABELED for use in food producing animals, and it works! The nice part about it, is that it does not sting or stain. We use it all the time in the feedlot, We give the shot in the eyelid, SQ dose of Noromycin 300 (a type of LA-200, but smaller dose 3cc/100# and lasts longer -5 days) spray it with Vetericyn Pink Eye Spray, then cover it with a Patch to help keep the light/irritation out.
If it is NOT pink-eye, using the Pfizer Vaccine called Inforce 3 will clear up most IBR viruses fairly quickly. 2cc up the nose, and it takes effect quickly, and last up to 6 months. No injection sight issues to worry about, and runs about .98/dose.
Becky

Latest posts