Selling ibr positive cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
I have 2 second calf heifers that have been tested positive for ibr. They have a 1.5 month old calf at there side. My vet tells me to sell them as pairs and not mention the ibr. But I am not going to do that. I know the money and trouble they have cost me, I would not do that to anyone. I plan to sell them as killer cows, I am wondering what to do with the calves? Are the chances high they are ibr positive Aswell? I would like to raise them to help offset the loss im going to take, but do not want to expose any other cows. I only have one lot at the moment, so I can't keep the cows and let them raise there calves, as I will need the lot for others. What should I do? Thanks a lot

Infectious Bovine Rhinotracheitis virus; it is a herpesvirus infection of cattle. Can cause abortion, predispose to respiratory disease, other issues. Most mlv and killed respiratory and reproductive vaccines for cattle contain this virus.

How did they test 'positive for IBR'? And what caused you to test for that?
If they've been vaccinated with a polyvalent vaccine (mlv or killed), I would expect them to have an antibody titer. That doesn't mean that they are shedding, or would necessarily be a threat to animals at another place.

You didn't mean BVD, did you?

No, not bvd. All tested negative for that. They started breathing hard last summer, blood running from nose, lots of snot and nasal discharge. Went too two diffent vets, both were sure of ibr

So...they were 'sure' of it - or they actually took nasal swabs, blood samples, etc.?
Sure, with the clinical signs you described, I'd suspect IBR as a possibility... but suspecting it and proving it are two different things.

If this was last summer, they've calved out uneventfully, and seem otherwise normal, I'd sell 'em with no concerns, no caveats, and no warnings. just my 2 cents.

Disease prevalence is different from one area of the country to another. I go 10 years or more at a time without seeing IBR or getting reports from veterinary practitioners regarding cases suggestive of IBR. I'm sure that in other parts of the country, it's more prevalent.
Only IBR-associated abortions I've seen in nearly 20 years were induced by use of mlv vaccines in females that had not previously been vaccinated appropriately.

Latest posts