Objective

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
Curious what some of the Angus breeders on board think of S S Objective T510 OT26.

I have used him in the past on my percentage Gelbvieh and purebred Gelbvieh heifers and he has worked really well. Of my replacement heifers that will be bred in a couple weeks, I have 3 Objective daughters and 2 Mitty in Focus daughters. I can't tell much difference between them. The Objective daughters might be slightly lighter muschled, but other than that, have good eye appeal and will hopefully make good mommas.

I will try to post some pictures in a week or two when we put the CIDRs in to synchronize and AI.

Hmmmmm, I've been getting this question a lot lately. I personally can't stand the bull or any of his progeny that I have seen thus far. They are too light muscled and in my opionion very small framed. They are weak topped and light boned as well. I don't know how they get such a high YW EPD because the calves I've seen haven't been overly huge. I'm sure the females will be ok when it's all said and done but definitely not something I want to introduce into my herd. On paper he is bulletproof but in the flesh he leaves a lot to be desired. And when I say a lot I mean pretty much everything in my mind.

AIT, why don't you cut through the bs and tell how you really feel. :lol2: :lol2:

I used him on some of my bigger, heavy muscled Gelbvieh cows, and I wouldn't call his progeny light muscled, just lighter compared to the In Focus daughters.

Being a Gelbvieh breeder first, and utilizing Angus to create balancers, I appreciate your input.

Angus In Texas":2fo5q6jb said:
Sorry Bandit, It's just that I don't know what all the hype is around this bull. Just one of my pet peeves.

No apology necessary!! I always like a person who says what is on their mind, and doesn't care if that is what the other wants to hear or not!! I think ABS just makes him look real pretty in their sire guide.

I have been really impressed with the Mitty In Focus calves I have gotten, from start to finish. Have a couple of his daughters to breed this year as well.

Mytty In Focus is a bull that I have followed for a long time..... I started tracking him before he started seeing heavy use and I have been pleasantly surprised by the results. I haven't personally used him just due to the fact he doesn't match up well with the cows I have right now. I really like Riverbend Mile High calves.

We have used Power design on our Balancers, and are extremly satisfied. ABS Bull.

The numbers look good, but I've purposefully not used him simply because I don't like the way he looks. How's that for scientific? :lol: Too thin framed and seemingly way light in the rear. Bottom line, there are a lot of great bulls with great numbers that look great too - Mytty for example and a lot of the stuff coming out of SAV with new, easier to manage CEDs.

[quusedote="angus9259"]The numbers look good, but I've purposefully not used him simply because I don't like the way he looks. How's that for scientific? :lol: Too thin framed and seemingly way light in the rear. Bottom line, there are a lot of great bulls with great numbers that look great too - Mytty for example and a lot of the stuff coming out of SAV with new, easier to manage CEDs.[/quote]angus9259-

The opinions expressed on SS Objective T510 OT26 are demonstrative of what I have said about judging ANY animal from JUST a picture - particularly a single, one view picture. The ABS picture of this bull is disgraceful! The posters on this thread have demonstrated that the breeders who have USED him in their breeding programs - have NO complaints and like him fine!

As you yourself have said - on THIS post - you have ". . .purposefullly not used him simply because I don't like the way he looks. How's that for scientific?" Well - it isn't scientific OR even very knowledgeable! The statistics on him from both ABS and the breeders who use him refute the justifications and the basis for substantive bias which most of the "non-users" here are professing. In My Opinion - the premises they are using are flawed - in principle and in reality.

IF I were going to select a bull on the basis of a picture ONLY, I certainly would NOT even give a second look at S S Objective T510 OT26. To me, that picture SCREAMS "FUNNEL BUTT - FUNNEL BUTT!" But, apparently, LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING! - which justifies using ALL of the tools available for Bull Selection when 'betting' on the future of your cattle business!

Everything considered, S S Objective T510 OT26 is a much more desirable breeding bull than his one picture on ABS advertising would suggest or indicate. My recommendation would be - Use EVERYTHING possible at your disposal when selecting ANY animal that you are going to incorporate into a breeding herd - including opinions of those who may not have a clue, but just a bias - and THEN, when your questions have been answered to YOUR satisfaction, and you have analysed what a Bull may do for the genetics of YOUR cows, you are in a dominate position of making a CONSIDERED decision - and no one ELSE to blame for your making a wrong choice - if indeed you do make one. At least, you will know WHY the matings did not work out as expected, and you have a good foundation for correcting your next hypothesis.

Frankly, I like SS Objective T510 OT26! And his sire. And his Grandsire. And a whole lot of his half-brothers!

DOC HARRIS

Frankly, I like SS Objective T510 OT26! And his sire. And his Grandsire. And a whole lot of his half-brothers!

So much for his famly tree. What about babies??

Uh oh, I think someone slammed Doc's choice of bulls. You cant complain about the numbers on Objective. I think the criticism is fair. His Quaker Hill son lacks depth, width, and capacity. The numbers are awe inspiring. For the type of breeder who is chasing numbers and holstein capacity they are both functional for them. I would also argue that there are better progeny out of DHD than Objective. I have not seen any Objective progeny that would entice me to use him. His phenotype does not entice me either. The best advice I have heard. Is to use him on power cows. That tells me not to use him. The most important thing to me; is to use a correct bull. :)

I agree, I didn't see anything on the abs page that I was overly impressed with. The YW number would make me choose something else even if I didn't see the pics of the bull and some of his offspring. IF I was looking for a angus bull to make balancers with I would probably go with this one, Connealy Industry 5634
http://bullbarn.com/angblkepd.asp?ID=1211

Boss, I had never seen that bull. That looks like the best pairing I have seen for Grid Maker. I'm going to keep an eye on him. I liked Freightliner. Grid Makers negatives outweigh his positives (thats my opinion). :clap:

Latest posts