OBI sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
The Oklahoma Beef, Inc. (OBI), sale is March 30, 2006, at the OBI sale facility west of Stillwater, OK. They'll be selling performance tested bulls of several breeds. Lunch is free. It's raining, folks, you might as well come to the bull sale! :) Sale starts at 11 am.

It's already 10:15 here. Guess I'll get the Lear Jet cranked up to get there on time.

Frankie, do you have the sale averages for Hereford? A gentleman called me about an hour or so ago looking for a polled Hereford bull. Said he bought two Angus bulls at the OBI sale, and the Herefords were out of his price range. I was a little surprised, although I'm seeing good demand for Herefords lately.

greenwillowherefords":2337n98l said:
Frankie, do you have the sale averages for Hereford? A gentleman called me about an hour or so ago looking for a polled Hereford bull. Said he bought two Angus bulls at the OBI sale, and the Herefords were out of his price range. I was a little surprised, although I'm seeing good demand for Herefords lately.

The Herefords sold better than I've ever seen them. According to the prices I have down, they sold 14 Hereford bulls for an average of $2657, though I can't guarantee that average. High seller went for $4100.

BTW, how did that average compare to the sale average? Did you think that the quality was exceptional this year? If that was the case, it could have contributed to the favorable average price.

Ellis farms in Illinois has serveral bulls to sell. I know that they could have been purchased at 1300 for yearlings and 1500 for 2 year olds.

greenwillowherefords":38n2ipbn said:
BTW, how did that average compare to the sale average? Did you think that the quality was exceptional this year? If that was the case, it could have contributed to the favorable average price.

I don't have the overall sale average. Three Simmentals averged $2966. The blaze face one sold highest; all were black. Four black Salers averaged $1900.

I didn't get a good look at the Herefords, sorry. But at least two people thought the one that sold for $4100 was exceptional! That same ranch bought the third high selling Hereford bull, too.