NY Supreme Show

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
In NY, the Beef Producers sponsor county fair Supreme Champions with a Chair (Sponsored by NY Simmental & Trowbridge Angus) and an INVITE to the All Supreme Champion Show at NY State Fair. This is a 1-day event. Pull in in the morning & get released that evening after show.
Winning Supreme Heifer & Res. Supreme gets $1000 - $500 prize
Winning Supreme Cow/Calf & Res. Supreme also gets $1000 - $500 prize --- Sponsored by Purina Feed

I have 5 head in my show string. A cow/calf (bull), a Jan yearling, fall Sept red heifer, and a February spring calf.

Glamour, calf won Supreme at Cortland County Fair with Elsie Donlick (1 sister of the 2 juniors we sponsor)

Elsie with Glamour at Cayuga County Fair

Fre-Anna, yearling won Supreme at Allegany Fair (she won this fair last year as a calf)

Eye Candy with her bull calf, Gambler won Supreme at Cayuga County Fair.

And, icing on the cake, this is SV FiFi sold to Sierra Brown winning Supreme at Chemung County Fair:

This is the fall red heifer calf being shown by Annika Donlick at Cayuga County Fair.

Glamour is 2-2-19, sired by Pays to Believe. I wish they had gotten a full picture of Fre-Anna, the yearling. She carries her power all the way back. She was calf champion in the All Supreme show last year.
It was great for us that each judge liked a different offering!!! We only have 1 more fair before the NYSF. At these fairs, if a female gets pinned Supreme and has already won at a previous fair, the chair and invite goes to the Res. Supreme.
Tomorrow, I head to Empire Farm Days where I will have the Feb & Sept calves on display until Thursday. I would love to have taken the cow/calf pair, but I think it would really be testing for the bull. He is a sweetheart and I don't want to spoil that. They are in a 12 x 12 pen, and the kids all but climb into the pen, poking, yelling. It can make the best of them a bit ornery.

This has been a great program to increase numbers at some of these little county fairs. People out looking to have a chance at the $1000. Some people only showed at their local fair, now they are venturing out to other fairs.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Glamour is 2-2-19, sired by Pays to Believe. I wish they had gotten a full picture of Fre-Anna, the yearling. She carries her power all the way back. She was calf champion in the All Supreme show last year.
It was great for us that each judge liked a different offering!!! We only have 1 more fair before the NYSF. At these fairs, if a female gets pinned Supreme and has already won at a previous fair, the chair and invite goes to the Res. Supreme.
Tomorrow, I head to Empire Farm Days where I will have the Feb & Sept calves on display until Thursday. I would love to have taken the cow/calf pair, but I think it would really be testing for the bull. He is a sweetheart and I don't want to spoil that. They are in a 12 x 12 pen, and the kids all but climb into the pen, poking, yelling. It can make the best of them a bit ornery.

This has been a great program to increase numbers at some of these little county fairs. People out looking to have a chance at the $1000. Some people only showed at their local fair, now they are venturing out to other fairs.

Fre-Anna is a lot of heifer. Who is her sire? And who is the Sire of her Dam?

She is an Executive Order out of a cow out of a homegrown bull, TY (a Ranch Hand bull) - and she goes back to a donor cow.
I have a few TY daughters and they are GREAT cows. Phenotype, temperament, milking, structure - just great cows. I actually contacted the guy that bought him from me to see if he was still around, but he shipped him. We used him two years after I lost Ken. First year, we sold all his daughters. Glad I saved the ones I did.
I am a little concerned because she is actually making a little udder. Not fat - milk udder.
We thought she was getting fat, so we turned her out with the cow herd before shows for about a month. When she came back in, she had more "fat" in her udder. It didn't look fatty - so I felt it - nope, making a nice little udder. I even had a dairy man check it. He said no fat - just milk. Not due until 1-3-20???? This has been a slow process for about 3 months now. Guess she is just early developing. Hurts her in the ring. Judges would have to think she has a fatty udder. I mean, it's not grossly fat looking. It's a nice tight little udder - but it's an udder. You can see it in the picture.

She is an Executive Order out of a cow out of a homegrown bull, TY (a Ranch Hand bull) - and she goes back to a donor cow.
I have a few TY daughters and they are GREAT cows. Phenotype, temperament, milking, structure - just great cows. I actually contacted the guy that bought him from me to see if he was still around, but he shipped him. We used him two years after I lost Ken. First year, we sold all his daughters. Glad I saved the ones I did.
I am a little concerned because she is actually making a little udder. Not fat - milk udder.
We thought she was getting fat, so we turned her out with the cow herd before shows for about a month. When she came back in, she had more "fat" in her udder. It didn't look fatty - so I felt it - nope, making a nice little udder. I even had a dairy man check it. He said no fat - just milk. Not due until 1-3-20???? This has been a slow process for about 3 months now. Guess she is just early developing. Hurts her in the ring. Judges would have to think she has a fatty udder. I mean, it's not grossly fat looking. It's a nice tight little udder - but it's an udder. You can see it in the picture.

Thanks. I assume you mean she is due January 3, 2020. I see her udder. It looks fine. I watch for fat too.

Jeanne the cattle look great!

As for the udders......all 3 of my virgin heifers that are due 1-1-19 are making milk....I thought I was going crazy when I first saw it.

WinterSpringsFarm said:

As for the udders......all 3 of my virgin heifers that are due 1-1-19 are making milk....I thought I was going crazy when I first saw it.

I am not meaning to pick but this brings up a question on terminology.

When I see the term "virgin heifer", I take that to mean a heifer that is open because she has never been exposed to a bull. If the 3 heifers are due 1-1-19 (you must mean 2020), they are bred heifers.

BTW: do you mean they are just building mammary gland or making milk? Two different processes.

Well, in my case, the dairyman said she had milk in her udder. Teats are tiny like they should be, but she has a little pooch of an udder. Might be the year. Not sure what they would feel like if "building mammary glands"??
Winter Spring - thank you.
We leave Friday am to go to next fair. Erie County Fair - supposed to be the largest county fair in US. It's beautiful. They have a race track, so they take in quite a lot of money & they spend it on keeping everything nice. If I think of it, I will try to get some pictures. It is as big if not bigger than our NY State Fair.

Well, in my case, the dairyman said she had milk in her udder. Teats are tiny like they should be, but she has a little pooch of an udder. Might be the year. Not sure what they would feel like if "building mammary glands"??
Winter Spring - thank you.
We leave Friday am to go to next fair. Erie County Fair - supposed to be the largest county fair in US. It's beautiful. They have a race track, so they take in quite a lot of money & they spend it on keeping everything nice. If I think of it, I will try to get some pictures. It is as big if not bigger than our NY State Fair.

The development of glandular mammary tissue precedes milk production. I can feel glandular tissue at a few months of age. After being bred and especially after being on pastures with clover (clovers harbor estrogen), the glandular tissue growth accelerates. I am just curious if the heifers are due 1-1-2020 (the post says 1-1-19 but that has passed), Is what she seeing the growth of glandular tissue inside the udder (btw: it feels nodular) or actual milk? It is possible that the heifer is milking that early but that is not common in my experience.

Bright Raven said:
WinterSpringsFarm said:

I am not meaning to pick but this brings up a question on terminology.

When I see the term "virgin heifer", I take that to mean a heifer that is open because she has never been exposed to a bull. If the 3 heifers are due 1-1-19 (you must mean 2020), they are bred heifers.

BTW: do you mean they are just building mammary gland or making milk? Two different processes.

Hahn yes, 2020. Doesn't seem possible. As for the virgin heifer terminology, guess it depends on the area. We always called AI bred heifers virgin heifers for some reason.

I often overlook threads in the BM portion of the forums simply because they dont show up in bold as unread.

I think there might have been a thread on this already, but I would like to know why it does that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Latest posts