Now This is a 22 magnum

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't see the need, a 223-5.56 will eat it's lunch. I did read where it was a center fire round?? We need more ammo not more calibers.

highgrit":yr4pi84d said:
I don't see the need, a 223-5.56 will eat it's lunch. I did read where it was a center fire round?? We need more ammo not more calibers.

It is a re-loadable hot 22 mag that work's in a semi auto.
No one has been able to make one work so far.
Every major manufacture has tried and given up, the Winchester 22 mag is a weird round for some reason that
does not perform well in a semi.
You can get it in a 1911 format.
A 22 I can reload wouldn't have peaked my interest 5 years ago but it does now.

Grendel had one several years ago and it was bought out by Kel Tec to pattern theirs after. Kel Tec prices went crazy with this one. It is calming down some now.

kenny thomas":1bjefbm8 said:
CB how much different is this from the 22 hornet?

From what I have read it is humming in rifle 2800 fps a pistol 1800 fps.
One of the things I liked was the mags were interchangeable from pistol to rifle.
Reminds me of the Marlin Camp Rifle in 45 ACP that used 1911 mags.

Caustic Burno":3gh2vdkz said:
kenny thomas":3gh2vdkz said:

One of the things I liked was the mags were interchangeable from pistol to rifle.

I will have to try one. I had a Camp 45 recently but like most of the others it got sold.

kenny thomas":10yhegyv said:
Caustic Burno":10yhegyv said:
kenny thomas":10yhegyv said:

I will have to try one. I had a Camp 45 recently but like most of the others it got sold.

Well Kenny they are made by Armscor, heck half if not more of all 1911 parts or guns are made by them.
It may not have their name on the slide.
I read about them at the shot show along with the Remington R51 and have yet to see either.
It looks like 22 products are going to stay scarce and high, if a 22 mag is going to cost between 50 cents and a dollar to pull
the trigger. I sure like the idea of something I can reload. The round reloads with H-110 common 44 mag powder that I have a pound or two of.

Back in the early 80s I worked with a guy that came up with a 45 ACP necked down to 22. It was kind of neat bu he had a hard time getting it to cycle reliably in a 1911. He had to make his own mold to cast the short 22 bullets, all the commercially available molds were for rifles.

dun":oix80s7a said:
Back in the early 80s I worked with a guy that came up with a 45 ACP necked down to 22. It was kind of neat bu he had a hard time getting it to cycle reliably in a 1911. He had to make his own mold to cast the short 22 bullets, all the commercially available molds were for rifles.
I remember the Lee 22 reloading kit. Can't remember what the primer liquid was but it didn't work well.
No way to really spin the shell to guaranty equal distribution of the primer in the rim.

Caustic Burno":27jss0bd said:
dun":27jss0bd said:
I remember the Lee 22 reloading kit. Can't remember what the primer liquid was but it didn't work well.
No way to really spin the shell to guaranty equal distribution of the primer in the rim.
I remember those too, what a pain in the but for very little pay back

Cb with my 22hornet I am getting 2971 fps with 14 gr lil'gun powder 40 gr hornady vmax and 6 1/2 Remington primers.

Cal

Cal what made me take a second it shoot's in a pistol as well.[/quote]

I can understand that. Would be nice to have both.

Cal

I recently bought a Kel Tec PMR30. It's a 22mag auto pistol. 30 round clips. A loaded gun w/extra clip still weighs less than my S&W39 with only 8 rounds. A sweet personal carry weapon not being LEO.

Soon they are coming out with a new "RMR" 22mag rifle that will use the same 30 round clips as the pistol.

The (PMR) pistol doesn't like the 22mag rifle rounds (that cause a large flash) and produce some FTFs and FTEs.

I bought a supply of the 22mag personal protection pistol rounds (made for a 2" barrel) that don't produce the flash or as much noise. Haven't had one FTF or FTE since I started using the pistol rounds.

Take it to the pistol range and you end up with everyone else looking on. Can't remove the smile when you start squeezing them off.

Their over 50,000 units now. Becoming easier to get and sometimes, under MFRP.

Latest posts