Not what I was looking for.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Not exactly the outcome I was looking for but he'll do

61BC.jpg

OK, group hug

love2.jpg

One of the reasons I don't band or tag calves or need a jackass ... she has a rather strong motherly instinct. Heck of a mama. Had twins last year. Raised both and they were only 25 pounds off herd average.

Babysitter.jpg

And you are right, she ain't skeered and I don't think she has ever been petted or wants to be. :lol:

excellent calf crop and set up you have there, mr. jo.
how about posting a pic of your bull?

Based on the calf's frame, I'm pretty sure he came from this bull here. I call him Winston - since he doesn't have any papers, just an easy fleshing bull. I'm not scared to put him on heifers and he surely doesn't get any supplements. Not the best picture, took it cause of his buddy on his back.

winston.jpg

What is that bird in its back called? Does it also eat the ticks off him? In SA we have identical looking birds that eat the ticks, but can't think what they are called in English.

KNERSIE":fqe19x9i said:
What is that bird in its back called? Does it also eat the ticks off him? In SA we have identical looking birds that eat the ticks, but can't think what they are called in English.

Looks like an Egrit

What were you looking for? A heifer calf perhaps?

Alice and I have a heifer that looks a lot like this calf except she doesn't have the eye markings...and she is really turning out very well. She is my favorite! I love all the white, though I know others do not.

Nice looking calf! In fact, I think they all look great.

Van

Yeah, looks like a Cattle Egret... WE have a pair every spring and than they just disappear one day.. Was real cool the first itme I saw them, thought something new was happening on the place.. Have plently of Heron's but the Egrets woudn't stay..

Nice look setup and the calves all seem nice and healthy.. Hope to have similiar views in 3 months.

vbd":2u1xf8ye said:
What were you looking for? A heifer calf perhaps?

Van

Didn't expect that much white. Never happened before. Frankly its my favorite cause he's different. Genetics can sometimes do some funny things. Her mother has always thrown a nearly solid black calf. Do wish it was a heifer. Have a friend who collects cute heifer calves - she would love this one.

Yeah, they are egrets. We have lots of em. If you see a bunch piled up in the field - its a good sign you got armyworms.

KNERSIE":17ojxf5k said:
I heard they originated from Africa. They call them cattle egrets here.

Fred":3m4vg422 said:
KNERSIE":3m4vg422 said:
I heard they originated from Africa. They call them cattle egrets here.
The English term in Africa is egret as well, but we commonly called them 'tick birds'.

Nice cattle, Looks like they got it made, nice weather. Lot different from wintering northern cattle.

Angus/Brangus":1ocnefcq said:
Definitely cattle Egrets. I have had over a hundred land in the field while I'm mowing. They eat anything that will fit in theire mouth - grasshoppers, small frogs etc. It's also a protected (not extinct) bird as you cannot shoot them.

Awefully tempting though, kinda like winged prairie dogs! :lol:

Latest posts