Not long now

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks.....These are all from our old cow herd. Although, there are only a few old ones in there now. And of course, out of the bull everyone loves to hate. We use him for a reason.

They are looking good cowgirl! They have grown really well!

Is the girl with the sprung rib cage an older cow? My Angus cow has a belly like that also, (not used to seeing that with my Brangus.) My Angus is only 7.

branguscowgirl":37yo5fj1 said:

Is the girl with the sprung rib cage an older cow? My Angus cow has a belly like that also, (not used to seeing that with my Brangus.) My Angus is only 7.
Thanks :) Yes, the last of the highter % brangus influence. She's a former commercial show heifer and i'm going to guess (since she never got a ranch number, she had a purple check in tag and has always been called Commercial) is around 18 yrs old. We arent liking at how she seems to be getting sprunger, if thats a word, so its her last year even though she raised a nice calf. She's always had good depth of body, the reason she was shown as a heifer (Although i think she got cut because she was kind of bronky..) We have a young bull out of her and our heifer bull, so maybe her longevity will live on in our replacements out of him...

Better hurry! Those calves are big and prices aren't getting any higher. Down $10 from last month. We sold ours 3 weeks ago and are glad we did!

ricebeltrancher":2bbrwd4s said:
Better hurry! Those calves are big and prices aren't getting any higher. Down $10 from last month. We sold ours 3 weeks ago and are glad we did!
Forreal.... :cry2:

branguscowgirl":3okng4il said:

What is a "sprung rib cage?"

Kingfisher":18z4zngx said:
branguscowgirl":18z4zngx said:

Lots of rib shape, vs. flat-sided. We select for it here. More rib shape = more capacity = more production. Cows here have to eat a LOT since our grass is so poor.

ricebeltrancher":n6637atf said:
Kingfisher":n6637atf said:
branguscowgirl":n6637atf said:

Lots of rib shape, vs. flat-sided. We select for it here. More rib shape = more capacity = more production. Cows here have to eat a LOT since our grass is so poor.
It is not desirable for a horse to have a sprung rib cage. It usually means that something loosened up or gave way. Such as a ligament, muscle, or cartilage. IDK if it would be too desirable in a young cow...........Certainly not to me.

branguscowgirl":ymyjwkyh said:
ricebeltrancher":ymyjwkyh said:
Kingfisher":ymyjwkyh said:

It is not desirable for a horse to have a sprung rib cage. It usually means that something loosened up or gave way. Such as a ligament, muscle, or cartilage. IDK if it would be too desirable in a young cow...........Certainly not to me.
I don't think you have the problem of poor grass :p

I have a few big bellied cows, and some flat sided ones.. both can perform well here, though cows like Mega have very good storage capacity.. if they don't eat for a day they still have food in there.

Here are some calves from our younger herd. Working my way back there with the shredder....having to go under 3mph, pastures really got roughed up with all the rain we had earlier in the year...

Thats One Two.... Wished he were a little cleaner, we'd keep him for a bull because of the one two, but are trying to get away from body markings...lol.. He is simbrah influence...He is way thicker than this picture shows.

Latest posts