Not just Kentucky

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
They'll devour slimy newborn calves, full-grown ewes and lambs alive by pecking them to death.

First the eyes, then the tongue, then every last shred of flesh.

And there isn't much defense against black vultures and turkey vultures, both of which are federally protected and cannot be killed without a permit.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 covers all migratory birds, their nests and their eggs, which means that the birds can't be harmed without federal permission. Their nests can only be disrupted, as a deterrent, if there are no eggs or young in them.

But as the vultures, which are native to Kentucky, have multiplied in numbers nationally over the last two decades, they have become more of a problem for farmers. Each year, Kentucky farmers lose around $300,000 to $500,000 worth of livestock to these native vultures, according to Joe Cain, commodity division director for the Kentucky Farm Bureau.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2019/06/26/black-turkey-vultures-eating-cows-into-kentucky-farmers-profits/1505632001/

I have never lost an animal to them. I do have those birds. Some here have lost calves, or had a momma attacked when the birth was taking place.

They are becoming aggressive. I have been told by local producers that say they have watched them attack older calves. They hang out here when I calve in the fall but so far I have not suffered any losses.

I am glad whenever there are articles highlighting issues like predation, but some of the details in that one seem incorrect, at least in terms of what I have always thought. I have always been under the impression that the red headed turkey vultures were not predatory, strictly carrion. I know the black headed ones are predatory we as well as neighbors have lost calves to them. I also did not think that they were native in KY, I have always understood that they are expanding their range into and through the southern US northward. Apparently they overwinter in these parts because we typically start calving give or take a couple weeks early to mid February and those things are present then.
There is a roost in some trees at our city cemetery, have seen them in droves there about dark a few years ago. Also have seen a large roosting area in the mountains near the Red River Gorge.
Knock on wood, (or my head), we haven't lost any to them here the last couple years, but see them around which certainly is always cause for concern. The article raised a theory for me, I can't remember exactly, but our worst rounds with them may have coincided during the time that I and several in the area had sheep, and in the year or two after some of us got out of having sheep. The coyote predation on lambs and even mature sheep was frequent, so maybe that brought in the buzzards in larger numbers.
I noticed the article also mentioned buzzards scratching around in the compost pile, I wonder if that isn't a drawing card for them on that farm as well.

The article is wrong Ky Hill, they are not native. I have not had a problem with them yet although they are everywhere.

When I see them over my mommas and calves I send up the drone. It freaks them out, especially when you give chase. It unnerves them. I've flown right into the middle of 8-10 vultures and they scatter quickly.

Also looking into dogs to protect the herd very soon, probably along the lines of an Anatolian Shepherd

One more thing on the subject, it's important to have mommas that are protective of their calves, these vultures have an uncanny sense of when a calf is vulnerable. A momma that keeps a close eye on her calf will also keep it protected.

************* said:
When I see them over my mommas and calves I send up the drone. It freaks them out, especially when you give chase. It unnerves them. I've flown right into the middle of 8-10 vultures and they scatter quickly.

Also looking into dogs to protect the herd very soon, probably along the lines of an Anatolian Shepherd

One more thing on the subject, it's important to have mommas that are protective of their calves, these vultures have an uncanny sense of when a calf is vulnerable. A momma that keeps a close eye on her calf will also keep it protected.

The dog likely work, the male Pyrenees we had with sheep would not let them or any other bird land.
My biggest problem with the dogs was keeping them in the field the Pyrenees loved to roam. I have often thought about an Anatolian Shepherd as well, they may be a little better suited than Pyrenees all things considered.

Agree that protective cows are key in defending their calves, however years ago I witnessed the prelude to the first buzzard kill and didnt know what was going on. Our most protective cow at the time, had just calved and was surrounded by what had to be 50 buzzards on the ground in a circle around her and her new born calf. At the time I didnt know about the different habits of buzzards, so just thought they were after her afterbirth and that her frantically charging them was just her being her. I had to be somewhere so I left thinking that everything was fine her calf was up and I thought that the pair would leave, never saw the calf again. From that time on I have been on edge ever time I see those buzzards around. I will fire off shots to scare them or drive the truck or tractor towards them if they are on the ground.
Now if you could arm your drone.

Yes those black headed vultures are a pain. Think We've lost one calf to them that I know of. Dam had twins. She had the first and got up and moved say 100 yards and had the 2nd. While having the 2nd think they killed the first. Have saved another they were on that they had only pecked on his soft pads of the hoof, was really lucky to get there in time. Have seen a few of my other dams fighting them off but with so many its hard to defend your youngster. Warm days seem to be the worst. I try to keep them in check, a few ways I won't go into.

"There is a roost in some trees at our city cemetery, have seen them in droves there about dark a few years ago. Also have seen a large roosting area in the mountains near the Red River Gorge. "

Disrupting their roost is a good way to harass them and they will move on.... sometimes. They had a spot on my place where they would gather every evening just before dark to roost in mass. Every evening for a week or so I would sneak down there and fire off a couple rounds of duck loads at them, Never was close enough to kill one but they sure didn't like it and the numbers each evening would be fewer than the one before. Like coyotes , you arn't going to get rid of them, but you can get them to move somewhere else.

When I pulled out today I saw a handful of black vultures near a tree with two perched on fence posts. The very sight of them is unsettling.

Need to get Southern Living to start including Buzzard recipes in each issue. They tried nutria recipes and cooking contests in LA to get folks to start taking some of them out. Last I knew, they were still doing more hoping that seeing masses cooking nutria. We live in a messed up world where predators and nuisances have more rights than citizens.

Ebenezer said:
Need to get Southern Living to start including Buzzard recipes in each issue. They tried nutria recipes and cooking contests in LA to get folks to start taking some of them out. Last I knew, they were still doing more hoping that seeing masses cooking nutria. We live in a messed up world where predators and nuisances have more rights than citizens.

I doubt there'd be many takers on the buzzard recipes either.
You are right, those black buzzards should not have any protected status whatsoever. It is my theory that they are crowding out the turkey buzzards.

Ky hills said:
Ebenezer said:

You are right, those black buzzards should not have any protected status whatsoever. It is my theory that they are crowding out the turkey buzzards.

Totally agree!

Ky hills said:
Ebenezer said:

What I have read is that the black headed buzzards cannot find carcasses as well as red heads. They watch redheads and follow them to the meals. We have breeding pairs of red heads here and they are not a real problem to me other than getting on cow troughs to take a drink and then sitting on the closest post to preen or whatever.

Ebenezer said:
Ky hills said:
Ebenezer said:

What I have read is that the black headed buzzards cannot find carcasses as well as red heads. They watch redheads and follow them to the meals. We have breeding pairs of red heads here and they are not a real problem to me other than getting on cow troughs to take a drink and then sitting on the closest post to preen or whatever.

That's because the turkey buzzard can smell carrion for miles away the Mexican vultures are like most other birds and have no to little olfactory senses.

Latest posts